I've been cheated by my mechanic...

Midshipman

the stripping isnt a big thing we might be able to just buy a gallon of stripper from napa or dust n sons....... or even 2...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

billie keep in mind that the evansville place is the exspensive one charlie "aka charlie72" is going to get back with me about the price for the danville place "which is cheaper" the idea on the dipping is that it will kill all rust on the panel and makes it quicker to do but wait till i get the cost back from the other spot before we jump the gun. i will talk with the ups deliver building and see if i can have it halted at the main dist. center and pick it up i will let you know ohh what is the tracking number?

alex

Ok Alex, keep me up to date on the cheaper price then...

I'll edit this post and put the tracking number up here as soon as I get out of the armory tonight... (7pm tonight or so)

lollollolEDIT: Here's the UPS Tracking Number 1Z0792230341522879 lollollol

As 1badMC wrote, this _is_ turning into a mini-series...but a cool, family-style mini-series wink .

This illustrates just how much of a family we are here...always helping each other out wink .

Midshipman, the area behind the back window of your MC (the rust, that is) looks about how mine looks...heh. I'm not looking forward to having my vinyl top taken off...lol.

*ponders*

If only I lived closer to Alex, Charlie & Charles smile .

Cort, "Mr Road Trip"/"The Uniter", 30swm w/pig valve & pacemaker

"Mr MC"'s Family...& train & models = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

RIP = '76, Parents' [my] MC ... '88 MC LS ... '00 "mc" LS

Spotting MCs = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html

MC's Future = http://www.projectmonte.com/petition/

well cort .... tough you need to wrench on your own "besides you have four err... five err... six cars "how many does cort have" besides i wouldn't want you to have a heart attack seeing your monte naked and her top off.... lol

Billie,

I will contact them first ting in the morning and see what i can do. also charlie will let me know tommorow what the other place will run. because they never got back to him today.

later

I think what you guys are doing is absolutely "ONE CLASS ACT". Midshipman I had a very similar thing happen to me a few years ago (The mechanic end of the story) with my baby , my 300 Hurst. I however didnt have the kindness and support that you have here. Although Rob (Peters) has offered on several occasions to help me put it back together , Im just overwhelmed by the damage that has been done by this automotive butcher. Alex you and Charley are doing a really stand up thing here and Im proud to be associated with you (even if its just over the internet) . I just wish you did Mopars smile

Dan

Just wanted to Commend you guys for helping out someone in need!!!! It says a lot about all of you and why this is a First Rate Club!!! I look forward to watching this story unfold.

Brian

hey billie your a lucky basturd....

The address you sent the por15 to is the next house down from me and i spoke with him this morning and he will call me when it arrives.

and my phone number is unlisted so it will not be in a phone book...

oh have you got the vinyl top for the car??? or did ya forget about that lol

remember that will be around 200 for the tp and install from the guy that did charlies top

Crap! I forgot about buying a new top! eek

Where did Charles get his, I'll call over there and see about it. We're having someone else do the work on that, correct? Or did you want to tackle that as well?

I thought somebody said you guys hadn't done one yet and considerign the materials will probably cost as much as just having a shop do it... we might just give it over to someone else. I know there's a guy here in Lafayette (haven't seen his work, but he's apparently got a shop) that claims to be able to do it for $250, and that included tearing the old one off and putting the new one on.

:::Guess I'll be living on Mac N' Cheese for the next few weeks atleast... hehe:::

it was charlie that got his top done... well you dont have to starve yourself the top will be one of the last things you need... after the bodys painted and cleared is when the top should be installed.

hey billie

I got the top put on at a place in effingham. just spoke with him. If the top is supplied by the car owner it will be 250 or less. So i would count on 250.00. THis is the same place that installed my top and i was very happy with the job. We could see if this is something we can do but i personally have never done one and i'm not familar with any pitfalls associated with putting one on.

Anyone here on the board have suggestions?

I have placed another call in for the stripping place in danville.

NOW THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT BROTHERS HELPING BROTHERS. THATS THE WAY REAL CLUBS SHOULD BE.YOU GUYS ARE GREAT AND I MEEN THAT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. fgmcc ROMAN!!!

hey billie

THis is the same place that installed my top and i was very happy with the job. We could see if this is something we can do but i personally have never done one and i'm not familar with any pitfalls associated with putting one on.

Well, I've heard of other people putting on their own vinyl tops - and I've typically heard that they turn out just "okay". So I don't know if that means that they got bubbles underneath them or what have you - but if you're not familiar with putting one on, you might want to leave it to a professional installer. Yeah, you may end up living on mac-n-cheese for a little while longer, but you'll most likely be happier with the results. Time will soon pass and you'll be able to eat regular again. Chunky soup is also a good alternative to the mac-n-cheese. wink LOL

The other thing that was mentioned is that the top should not be put on until all of the paint work has been finished. I would agree. Paint the car first, get the new top put on and then replace the trim. That will help ensure a longer life to the new paint job and keep it from chipping/peeling/rusting around the edges.

My hat's off to everyone involved in helping out Midshipman! Way to go, guys! cool

Dave

well cort .... tough you need to wrench on your own "besides you have four err... five err... six cars "how many does cort have" besides i wouldn't want you to have a heart attack seeing your monte naked and her top off.... lol

LOL! The count is currently at 5, and uh, I've already seen naked...er, n/m wink .

A little "action" never hurt anyone...and, from what I've heard, it has health benefits...yes, both kinds wink .

LOL!

Again...kudos to you all in the central part of my state...you are definitely a fine example of how we help each other out in times of need smile

hey billie

If the top is supplied by the car owner it will be 250 or less. So i would count on 250.00.

Ok, so $250 for the labor... anybody know hoew much the material costs and where a good place to buy it would be? I'm open to suggestions from the board.

((When I was working on my 57 Chevy, I tended to order all my parts from ClassicChevy.com AKA Classic Chevy International. They're a great club for the tri-fives and have everything a person could want. So I never found all the smaller shops that deal with specific areas.))

is that shop over by you 250 including the top billy?????

Well I'm pretty certain that included the material... Or he said he could get it pretty cheap...

But I made that call back in December to get that info, and I am desperatly trying to find his number again... I don't know if I'll be able to.

Billie,

I used paddoc for my top. I'm sure they are all made by the same supplier or limited number of supplier. Paddock is retailer located in knightstown indiana just east of indianapolis about 20 mins.

I believe that Year One carries them. You might also try Musclecars Only. I'm not sure what the material prices out at, though. The contact information for these parts places is listed under "Parts Sources" in the "Monte Carlo Archives" section of this site, which is accessible from the main page. smile

Hope this helps,

Dave

Well here's an update:

All the part's places (including Paddock) that carry Vinyl Tops for the Monte's have two colors. Black or White.

So I guess I'll begin a search and scour the net looking for someone who has a blue one... but I have a feeling I'm going to be ending uo with a black top on this baby.

Has anyone had any luck finding colored tops?

Hey Billie,

Did you try Original Parts Group(OPGI)? In their catalog, they have other colors by special request. I know some people have had a lot of trouble with ordering from them(I haven't order anything from them yet), but I figured it might be worth a shot for you to look into it. Good Luck

Eric