I've been cheated by my mechanic...

Midshipman

It looks like they only have Black and White at all these online sites.

I'm thinking we take her into a shop after she's painted and will just have to ask them to do it custom. I called in town today and I got one quote for $700 - $800

Atleast that way we could get a blue that really matched the paint well... instead of just asking one of these sites to try and cut one in blue... and then find out that the blues don't look right together.

I'll start saving my money.

::: maybe I should start a new non-profit fund, "Car's for Billies" :::

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
::: maybe I should start a new non-profit fund, "Car's for Billies" :::
"Cars for Billies" fund was initiated...see "a summer ride" by 72MCZ03 in this (general) forum.

Now lets see some golden hearts here....
smile

I spoke to a fairly well known shop here in Lafayette. He says that he can get a blue top for me, no problem at all. It will be ~$600 with materials and labor, and he'll need the car for two days (after we paint her of course).

Charles, can you call the guy you like out there and ask him if he could do a blue top to match the paint and what he thinks he would have to charge?

I understand this is a little early for this stage, but I always like to have things planned out in advance. wink

Happy Easter to everyone!

By the way, have I posted on here that the Monte has a name now? If not... :::drumroll please::: Say hello to Molly!

Molly the Monte Carlo... has a nice ring to it...

ok, i skipped over most of the posts... but if the car is up to it, I'll fly out and drive it back wink

to leo's that is..

Billie,

my only concern if you get your top custom made to match the color of the car will be with the correct distance and seam style that is should have. I would verify that the grain texture of the material, seams, and thickness will be the same as it would be if you purchased the top from a supplier such as year one. As stated before the top that was on the car was not the original top and was also a different texture and thickness. I would hate to see you spend 700-800 for a top only to have it wrong.

ok after 15 hours on the road i got back last night at 1 am

you now have your remote mirror and right rear chrome trim for the vinyl top. also your rotors arrived yesturday along with the battery tray. now we are just waiting on the lines to show up.

leo has a 4 spoke sports wheel for a 70 monte if you want to get it $40 plus shipping and its yours just let him know.

and i am now done buying sheet metal for my car finally.... 3500 dollars later

now i can start on mine when i am done with billies... whooooo hooooo

Billie,

my only concern if you get your top custom made to match the color of the car will be with the correct distance and seam style that is should have. I would verify that the grain texture of the material, seams, and thickness will be the same as it would be if you purchased the top from a supplier such as year one. As stated before the top that was on the car was not the original top and was also a different texture and thickness. I would hate to see you spend 700-800 for a top only to have it wrong.

Well, hmmm... that would be a problem. I'll call the guy on Tuesday (have doctor appointments this weekend in Chicago for my injuries from that auto accident) Maybe I could just order a white top and have him dye it then... but I don't know how this would turn out. Has anyone ever seen a dye job? and are they any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex'72fgmc:

leo has a 4 spoke sports wheel for a 70 monte if you want to get it $40 plus shipping and its yours just let him know.

Awesome, is the steerring wheel blue, like my current one too?

P.S. Thanks MarchieB, I'm a doofus.

Quote:
Billie he's talking about a steering wheel ... smile

Billie

Started stripping paint off the hood and roof of car. Charles came down and we got the passenger side door open. Just needed a good kick although has a dent now... laugh j/k. Sprayed some lubricant on the latch and it works just fine.

Atleast that way we could get a blue that really matched the paint well... instead of just asking one of these sites to try and cut one in blue... and then find out that the blues don't look right together.

I'll start saving my money.

I would get the white as you can use a paint gun to spray dye over the vinyl top and have a paint shop mix the dye so it matches close to what you want.

I just re read your other post. Yes, I have seen it dyed and it turned out real sweet, you would never know. Save some dye incase you ever have to spray it again.

Alex, Charles, Charlie:

I should be farely free this weekend. If you guys are going to be working on my monte, I'd love to know when and where to meet you guys. I may not be super-knowledgable... but I follow directions well (like any soon-to-be officer!)

Also, lol I know atleast "Big J" from these boards is willing to lend a hand. Maybe we could all get together this weekend. I'm sure that there's more than ample areas for atleast some sanding to be done... or something that can be split up 4 or 5 ways. If you guys are willing to supply the shop, I can supply some beverages.

What do ya say? Or is this weekend no good for this type-a-thang?

Billie

saturday we will be out there (alex will be doing his step dads gastank) charlie will be sandblasting the camaro and i will be taking out the back window and doing some patchwork if i remember to get the welding tank filled this week...so im sure it would be ok with charlie and alex if ya came down.... its only about 20 minutes from my house(even less if you take 57)

*raises eyebrow*

Yeah know...if the weekend forecast around here holds true (i.e., ugh, rain), I may just come down on Saturday to meet up with ya'll....

We shall see smile

saturday we will be out there (alex will be doing his step dads gastank) charlie will be sandblasting the camaro and i will be taking out the back window and doing some patchwork if i remember to get the welding tank filled this week...so im sure it would be ok with charlie and alex if ya came down.... its only about 20 minutes from my house(even less if you take 57)

Spectacular! I'm excited to get my hands on her a little and try to be of some help. Aslo, Charles, I'll bring that kit as requested.

devildevildevil

Quote:
Originally posted by knightfan2691:

*raises eyebrow*

Yeah know...if the weekend forecast around here holds true (i.e., ugh, rain), I may just come down on Saturday to meet up with ya'll....

We shall see smile

knightfan, I'm sure it'd be the more the merrier! I look forward to seeing ya (with respect to weather)!

Sounds like a plan to me smile .

Course, I won't know until prolly Friday night or so....we shall see what the weather does. If it's nice on Saturday, my older 4 "baby girls" will be waking up. If not, well, Baby Blue might be up for a "road trip" wink .

hey billie,

Could you call and see if your lines have been shipped yet i have not received them yet. If it was sent ups could you get the comfirmation number and track it down also send me the number as well. I hope they did not deliver it to my dads house

alex

Let me know

I called Classic Tube.

Apparently, they have half the order done and will not have a set of Vapor or Fuel lines bent for me until mid-next-week. They were holding the Tranny and brake lines to send as one order.

They were very nice, apologized for the delay, and are going to be sending out the Brake and Tranny lines today, with the rest of the order to follow ASAP.

I also confirmed the address, and they are shipping to you, Alex.

Quote:

Also, on a side note: My father is retired and loves using his new "computer skills" and surfing the web. He apparently found us a shop up by Chicago that can order a to-specs top and install it, all for ~$300! They say that that year the monte had two grain patterns, light and Coarse, and two shades of Blue. So we need to decide if we want a lighter or darker blue, and a lighter or heavier grain in the fabric.

I'm thinking the Darker blue since we're going with Fathom Blue paint, but I had not heard of the different grains for this year... does anyone have any suggestions for which looks better, or if there were even two grains that year?

And they need atleast a two week lead time to order the top from some company in Virginia that still manufactures these.

I called Leo last night, and I left a message on Charles' phone but I wanted to make sure you guys heard about the patch panels.

Leo said he doesn't know id anyone makes a panel or if he has a parts car he can take them from for us, and we may need to fabricate them. He asked for digital pictures of the problem areas so he can know exactly what we need and then he'll see what he can do for us.

So Charlie, if you still have that camera... could you please snap a few pic's and send em to Leo? I'd like to see them too so please send me a copy as well. (webmaster@ussedson.com)

Billie

Hi Billy. I got a correct green vinly top from CARS inc in Arizona Call 1-800-528-1342 & ask for Steve & he will call his supplier for you they cost $89 are are correct grain & seam spacing.I sure he could get you a Blue one?. I installed my own with help of a buddy, It was tough job but following factory service manual & taking time & proper prep it look's professional. Tell Steve Bob from NY sent you & let him know your from Monte Club. Later Bob