1970 Plastic inner fender wells

I know that the 1970 fenders are a little bit different than the 71 and 72, but are the plastic inner fender wells also different?

I'm having my engine rebuilt and going to replace a few things while engine is out. Appreciate any guidance the community has. Trying to keep the car as stock as possible. 

Yep, all three years were the same.  Some people install the metal due to the cracking issues of the plastic but I prefer the plastic.  My original plastic ones lasted 30 years and my current plastic are almost 20 years old and still look new and no cracks.

rob

You will find strong preferences for either plastic or steel "replacements" but there is nothing "stock" about steel inner fenders unless you'd rather your Monte was a Chevelle. 

I have used both types in my '70 Montes and both get the job done, but I far prefer the plastic ones made for and sold by The Parts Place, Inc.  They are made specifically for first gen Montes (not Chevelles), fit perfectly, are much easier to remove/install than steel and are made of a modern more flexible plastic that won't crack like the originals. 

Now, I'll stop and let others tell you why the steel inner fenders are wonderful ...

I'm going to agree with Dennis on this. I used steel fenders on mine and they took a fair amount of work to get an acceptable fit. If you aren't careful you will really distort your fender when snugging them up to the steel inner fender. If I was to do it again I'd definitely get plastic ones from the parts place.

Steel in mine since '05,From Tamaz's in Illinois. Perfect fit,and makes front end rigid.Just my 2 cents...... It's been 15 hrs and no issues. Plus Herculined on the wheel side.

I installed the steel ones. They were a bear to get in but in the end all the holes lined up, I didn't need to "adjust" any of them. I make bolts TIGHT yet the fenders didn't warp.

I like that they'll never crack and I feel they help tighten up the front end a bit.

I'm happy with them and I'd do it again-unless the goal is a dead stock restoration.

While the 1971 parts catalog lists different numbers for Chevelle skirts vs. Monte skirts, some Chevelles came from the factory with plastic skirts. I'm sure they interchange.

I would imagine the Monte came with plastic skirts because they were "quieter" in the rain.

Thanks folks. I think plastic is what i'm going to install to keep the stock look. Appreciate all the advice.

• Like 1