Rear Axels ?

DragCat

Ok, so i'm going to put 3.55 gears in and have had many comments of other stuff to upgrade but of course I have questions. Also commented to upgrade the wheel studs to 1/2.

So first look was Strange, part # P3026 but there is NO Monte fitment specifically mentioned. But it fits all the other requirements so far.

Moser A123003 does say Monte specific but it says wheel studs are press in, which from my limited understanding is 7/16 not 1/2 option

I also looked at Yukon, never heard of them before but thats not saying much. They say Monte specific and are double drilled? for press in or screw in studs. But the 1 review on Summit wasn't happy with their quality. 

So suggestion/comments are welcome with what some have used, or another brand I might want to look at. 

I just had strange axles installed in my 12 bolt. All A-body 12 bolts from 68-72 use the same length 30 spline axles. The 64-67 12 bolts are 1" shorter so the axles don't work.

The strange axles and the Moser axles that were removed had both 7/16 holes for press in studs and 1/2 threaded holes for the screw in studs. 

I highly recommend the strange axles. Have 3 sets in 3 different 12 bolts. No issuses whatsoever. 

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, the pic on the Moser didn't show threads like the Strange did. But I know most times its stock photos and the description on summit only said press in. I know you just did one of yours, I hate to assume without checking since it did say A body but not Monte. On a positive note, my buddy may have a set of 15/8 drag wheels "in stock" that he took off his car to get even lighter wheels. Not sure of the back space yet, he has to find them in the "stock room" lol 

Another Question, what are you running for fluid, and do you add an additive ? 

FWIW, I got the Strange axles at Tom's suggestion last year from Summit. I noticed some of the same reviews you may have saw, plus some said the length wasn't right on some others. These one's fit right in with no issues.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-p3026

• Like 1

As I'm sure you know, check the backspacing on your buddy's "in stock" rims. Lol

This time I am running Lucas 80-140w I believe. I will recheck tomorrow. No additive due to the fact that I am running a Detroit Tru Trac. No friction from clutches or cones. So no additive needed. I highly recommend it! 

I have destroyed factory Eaton, moroso brute strength, strange posi units through out the years, and I mean destroyed! Lol

The only car in our fleet that doesn't either have a spool or a Detroit Tru Trac is my son's Monte. That will be getting the now "in stock" Moser axles with 2in long 1/2 studs. It has a clutch type eaton posi which will get the same Lucas oil with GM posi additive.

For me the GM additive is the best. Have tried many others and also fluid that supposedly had it. Poor results compared to the GM stuff that ultimately was added. 

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, yep those were the set I was looking at but still had questions. I had barged in on Tom's other thread so instead of going off track with that I started this one with specific part numbers as I was doing my shopping search. 

Thanks for the fluid update Tom, another Monte owner also said yes to the additive but he was running synthetic and didn't remember the weight. 

I had mentally planned for this project when I got the crate, just wasn't figuring on so soon lol. But there is no time like the present and I have the time now, and my buddy is available to help so damn the torpedos full speed ahead. Also, this should end any lingering questions I have on the drive train. 

I used the GM 80W-90 GL5 "Axle Lubricant" (GM# 89021669) with the bottle of GM additive as well. Takes about 2.5 bottles I think (I just filled it last week after replacing the yoke to a larger size).

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I'm working on my list so I can place an order Monday. One of the few times I didn't need to worry about making a $99 order for the free shipping lol 

• Haha 1

I just looked thru my Summit orders for that GM lube. I got it at the time for $5.99 a bottle (10.21.19). Today it's at $17.99. Good thing I got 6 bottles, enough to do the Monte & the Z/28 down the road. The additive I got from Amazon like Tom did. Crazy stuff...

• Like 2

I just checked, the Lucas is cheaper at Summit than it is here local. The 10-4003 additive is the same price. But I did see the price on the (GM# 89021669), crazy abut that kind of increase. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. I'm not particularly happy with my local options , Ive learned "order it and pick it up today" is only if the warehouse delivery gets there on time. I guess i'm old and spoiled  because I remember walking into a parts store and having the person behind the counter know something about cars. Not just type keys on a computer. Ok rant over lol 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 6:34 PM, DragCat said:

I just checked, the Lucas is cheaper at Summit than it is here local. The 10-4003 additive is the same price. But I did see the price on the (GM# 89021669), crazy abut that kind of increase. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. I'm not particularly happy with my local options , Ive learned "order it and pick it up today" is only if the warehouse delivery gets there on time. I guess i'm old and spoiled  because I remember walking into a parts store and having the person behind the counter know something about cars. Not just type keys on a computer. Ok rant over lol 

That’s funny about the local options. It’s the same here. 3 parts stores and only one has a guy that knows cars. But he is hardly ever there. 
If it’s not in the computer it’s not available. No ability to figure anything out.

I’m in the process of replacing my tires and the major store in town wanted to know what kind of car. Naturally the sizes I told them I wanted didn’t match their computer. It’s to the point now that I let them make a fool out of their selves and then take them out and show them. It’s gotten to be cheap entertainment for me!🤣

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I remember years ago I was shopping for a new battery. I was just browsing what they had on the shelf.

A friendly sales guy came up and asked, "what kind of vehicle is it for?"

I said "Its for for an old Studebaker truck".

He smiled knowingly as he picked up the catalog and said: "oh those old Studebaker trucks were great...Who built those"?

• Haha 1