Timing light gun

71MonteCarloMD

Hi, am seeking for a new timing light gun for me to tune up my 71 Monte as I’m not sure if the one with digital would work on FGMC?  I would love to get digital one to help me with tuning up, if it will work, any recommendations on digital timing light gun?

If you're talking about the set back type where you can dial the timing back, I have an older Snap-On one that works just fine. Makes it easy for checking the advance, RPM, etc. You shouldn't have any issues.

https://autoquarterly.com/best-timing-lights/

Innova seems to be a popular brand, and Amazon has them. If it doesn't work for you, they'll take it back painlessly. The 'Pro' one seems pretty good for the money, but they also have the Digital' one for about 20 bucks less.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3568-Digital-Timing-Light/dp/B000EVU8J8?th=1

I wouldn't have any issues picking one of them up if I needed one, from the looks of it. It doesn't know what you're hooking it up to, it just uses the inductive pickup on a plug wire for a signal and does the rest on it's own. That, plus the + & - hookup to the battery to power the light, other than that, easy money.

It sure looks to be the exact same one Rick. I looked it up under my Napa Prolink account and it had a better picture to zoom with. Looks like the same part # 5568 and Innova name on the unit itself.

Edit: So, for grins I looked it up a little more on google, and someone asked if it will work with a MSD 6 type of ignition. Innova's answer was NO on Summit's Q/A section. However, a dozen people chimed in and said it absolutely does work. I know mine works on both the Monte with their new MSD EFI CD box, and also with my Z/28 with the older MSD 6A, no issues at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...