Rear Bumper for 1970 Monte Carlo

I am a new member here on this forum. I am also a long time Monte Carlo owner owning my Restored Black on Black 1970 Monte Carlo now 44 years. To make a long story as short as possible many years back when restoring my car I sent both Front and Rear Bumpers out to be Show Chromed to a company called Hoffman Brothers Chrome Plating in either S.Carolina or N.Carolina not sure of the state at the moment without checking paperwork. Anyway they supposedly went out of business and a flaw developed behind my rear bumper that started peeling the Chrome. I am at the point of finding another place to bring or send it to be Show Chromed again or buy a new bumper already Chromed. For the heck of it I have been looking online at my options for brand new and there is this Company on Ebay that claims they sell a Triple Chrome Plated Monte Carlo Bumper. Problem is I am afraid to order one without seeing it first because if I don't like it I will probably be stuck with it or it would cost me a lot of money out of pocket to just send it back to the Company selling it. The Seller on Ebay is called "Tamraz" and they advertise it on Ebay as being a "1970-1972 Monte Carlo Triple Chrome Plated REAR Bumper - Excellent Fit".  I will leave a link at the end of my post here. Just curious if anyone ever had any experience with buying one of these Bumpers they advertise that can tell me their experience with it. Are they nice and equal to a brand new OEM Chevrolet Bumper Chevy once sold or not. Any info you could give me. My 1970 Monte Carlo is Show Car Quality similar to a car seen being sold at Barrett Jackson it is so nice. This is why I am particular to my purchase or sending it to  another place to have my Bumper rechromed.  Here is the Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333516974820?ul_noapp=true    Thanks for any responses that may help me out. The rear of my car in the photo below before the flaw in the right side of my Bumper appeared. The picture was taken shortly after the cars restoration and everything was put back on the car including the Show Chromed Bumpers. 

Image Transfer Pictures 063.jpg

Image Transfer Pictures 078.jpg

• Like 2

Fred, welcome to the club. They are located near me as well as the parts place. I think they both sell AMD bumpers. I would think rechroming yours would be a better way to go. I had one rechromed last year after I hit a deer. I used Try-City plating in Elizabethon Tennessee. They had a quick turn around time a decent price.

Welcome to the forum, nice looking car.

Just something to think about as I'm going thru that presently. I ordered an AMD bumper because they're supposedly very good quality. I'm on my third return now & they're sending a 'Restoparts' brand next. They're probably all made in the same place in China and packaged in different boxes if I had to guess, who knows.

I'm waiting for my original bumper to come back from chrome, figured I'd use a repro in the mean time. So far, the 3 I had weren't even daily driver quality, at least in my eyes.

4 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Fred, welcome to the club. They are located near me as well as the parts place. I think they both sell AMD bumpers. I would think rechroming yours would be a better way to go. I had one rechromed last year after I hit a deer. I used Try-City plating in Elizabethon Tennessee. They had a quick turn around time a decent price.

Many years back when I had my front and rear bumpers Show Chromed as mentioned I sent them to Hoffman Bros in one of the Carolina's through UPS. Packed them up well. When they were returned to me of course I took them out of the box and inspected them right away. The Front Bumper came out perfect so I set it to the side. My Rear Bumper was damaged on the passenger side of the bumper smashed in from Shipping. Other then that the Chrome on it was perfect. I Had to contact Hoffman Bros and let them know and have UPS Pick it up and send it back at no cost to me. Problem was both UPS in the Carolina area and Hoffman brothers were fighting back and forth which I didn't know. They redid the Bumper and sent it out to me a 2nd time and it was damaged once again. Unbelievable so UPS by me picked it up again and sent it back. At that point Hoffman told me it was UPS's Fault and UPS said it was Hoffmans fault for not packing it well. Hoffman then contacts me and says they can't rechrome my original bumper now because of the damage that they would have to get me another out of a junk yard and rechrome it and send it to me. Well they did and although it looked real good and wasn't damage this time around it develop the flaw underneath the Chrome over many years. Maybe they didn't clean it right or didn't take the proper steps but unlike the front Bumper it didn't last and the car is always stored inside and never out in bad weather. I actually only washed the car twice since I got it back years ago. I usually just use a Spray Bottle of Water or Mequires Final Inspection and Spray it on and wipe it off. I have only used the car to bring to car shows and a occasional weekend drive less then 15 miles that is it. Right now I have the car up for sale on Facebook Market Place being I am running out of room so I wanted to take care of the bumper or who ever buys it if I let it go will have to get it done eventually. If anyone knows of someone looking for a real nice Black 70 Monte Carlo mine was a ground up body off restoration. The Frame was sprayed with Dupont Imron paint before all New GM Body mounts were put in place and the finished body put back on the car. Hundreds of hours of Block Sanding was done on this car and the body is as straight as a arrow looking down both sides better then factory new. Anyway I am not here to try to sell the car. I may even keep it I have had it so long. I just don't use it much and have other Collector Cars also and need to make some room. 

Co-sign on Tri-City Plating in Tennessee.  I've had mine for about 15 years now and they look as good as the day I took them out of the wrapper. 

If you want true "show quality" chrome Paul's Chrome ( https://www.paulschrome.com/ ) in Evans City Pennsylvania.  Just a note, they are know across the country and you will pay dearly for that show quality.

rob

• Like 1

I used Tri City as well, still as good as the day I got them.

They were reasonable and quick turn around. They did some repairs as well, and  a lifetime warranty if I ever need it!

• Like 1

I've  not truly really happy with any repro REAR bumper. Fronts are excellent!

Tri city is best and most cost effective. Mike Boyt has tri city on his car 

A bit of a tangent here...does anyone know if the 71SS bumper has a different part number on it, or is it just a standard bumper with holes drilled in it for the rubber strip?

You can take a standard bumper and drill the holes for the pad but I'm sure the SS bumper had its own part number. No one reproduces the SS bumper, only the standard bumper that I'm sure you know about. 

This is copied out of the Chevrolet parts catalog

Monte Carlo ................................. 3962323
NOTE 1: It will be necessary to drill holes for attaching bumper pads or bumper guards.

The NOS bumper I have for my 71 SS has slotted holes from the factory to attach the Pad.

no drilling was required!! So I would venture to say a different part number.

Hi Fred, Have you decided to keep your 70?

On 7/24/2020 at 9:23 PM, DaveC said:

The NOS bumper I have for my 71 SS has slotted holes from the factory to attach the Pad.

no drilling was required!! So I would venture to say a different part number.

Hi Fred, Have you decided to keep your 70?

Dave I really haven't thought much of anything in this hot and humid weather. Chances are I will sell it for the right money. 8 months away from turning 70 years old I have too many Collector Cars and can't drive them all. I never thought I would ever sell the '70 Monte Carlo years ago but I believe I am ready to do so but I won't just give it away. I truly have $30k into the car. That is not a lie. I know I can't get that kind of money back but I feel I am being very fair at what I have it listed for on Market Place right now. I have had plenty of people contact me but I told them I wanted to wait until we get some cooler weather out to show the car. Hopefully later next month of August or September when things cool down some may be the right time.