I am needing to buy new tires for my 71 MC, I will be using stock rally wheels, is any body running a P225/75R15 without any interference in the fender wells?  I thing 215's will look too small.

Thanks, John

With 225/75s you should not have any clearance issues with the stock 15x7 rallys. I'm considering 235/70R15 for my 71 SS.

FYI, stay away from BF Goodrich if you want raised white letters. There is a problem in recent years with the letters not coming up white and appear dirty brown.

10 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

I'm running with 225/70s on stock rallys with no problem. I'm considering 245/60/15 or like Arron 235/60/15. 

I currently have 245/60s on my 70 Monte. Nice size of tire and been running it for years on Montes. For my 71 SS I want a taller sidewall closer to stock height so that's why the change to 235/70s. I used to have 235/60s and found that the sidewall was not quite tall enough for my liking.

Sorry, I miss read the size. The 255/60 is the closest outside diameter to the original 225/70. I think the 245/60 is the way to go or just put the 225/70 back on the car.

I found this list of tire sizes, that may help?

if this link works:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19PQfEAyLZuMborOY05J_nh55ZKav2-AgTDcb-w6e584/edit?usp=sharing

I have seen a chart before that listed how tall a tire is but now I cannot find it. When I put my new tires on my new 17 Ridler 675 wheels that is how I determined what to buy. I wanted the speedometer to read as close as possible to what it did read before the new tires were purchased.

235/70/15s are similar in height to the G78-15 tires most of our Montes had.
225/70/15s are similar in height to the G70-15 tires that were optional or were part of the SS454/Custom package.

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

I have 225’s on my 71SS but it won’t let me upload pictures 

I made a change with regard to image size limitations. Give it another try. You can use the "choose files" link when you are creating/editing the post, copy and paste a photo or if you are on a computer you can drag or drop the photo. If you still run into problems send me a private message and we'll try to get to the bottom of the issue. :)

Pics loaded perfect. Thanks. And by the way don’t comment on the blue letters I haven’t cleaned them yet cause I think there is white under there (ha ha I know there is)   I only got one shot at white before they turn brown. I said I was stubborn I wanted BFG’s. Guess I’ll buy tire paint at some point

• Like 1

NPics loaded perfect. Thanks. And by the way don’t comment on the blue letters I haven’t cleaned them yet cause I think there is white under there (ha ha I know there is)   I only got one shot at white before they turn brown. I said I was stubborn I wanted BFG’s. Guess I’ll buy tire paint at some point

I hit a wrong button. Dahm  phone sorry for posting twice. Aaron thanks for the “ hearts” but you know this car is going to give me a heart attack and you sent me a reminder.  Thanks 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the pic, are those 225/70 R 15, or 225/75 R 15's? I have 225/75 R 15's on a set of Americans ( s 200's ) from the 70's, and the right side hits on a hard left turn, it's up under the fender at the inter panel, first time that has happen in 12 years, now I want to go back with the Rally Wheels that were on there when I got the car 45 years ago and new WW tires, ( looking for the stock luxury look Chevrolet intended)  I like the 225/75, as they fill the fender well, but the rally wheels might have a different off set then the Americans, and won't be a problem...but not sure.

Thanks John.

19 minutes ago, Green 4 speed said:

Thanks for your in put, now if I can just find the size and in a WW!

Been to Coker, but not due in until early Sept.

Check out Diamondback Tires if you are looking for a whitewall tire. They make them in a variety of sizes. I put them on my 72 and I'm very pleased. www.dbtires.com

20200727_193232.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green 4 speed said:

wow....what a beautiful MC, and my favorite color, what size tire did you get? Those tires are exactly what I am looking for. 225/70 R 15's?

Thanks for your time, John

They have those in 225/70 R15, but I went with the 215 70 R15. These are the 3/8 inch white line Diamondback SS tires. Thanks for the compliment,  and good luck with your search!

Hello Aaron,

I am going to order the same tires you have, but the sales man ask me how thick the WW was and how far from the rim where the WW starts, is your WW 3/8 of an inch and 1 inch off of the rim?

Sorry to bother you again over this,

Thanks, John