71SS. Tcs help please

Dtret

What I see in the books is what I had. As you probably know I changed from warning lights to gauges. Mike (sonny) called me back and we got all the wiring issues taken care of. So I thought. I need to know on a true SS with gauges does the temp sensor on driver side head have two wires ( dark green for gauge. Green w/white stripe that goes to tcs relay)   Mike had me put a single wire sensor in driver head for gauge and said I need to put a tcs sensor in pass head. But if I go to look up a tcs sensor it shows a two wire. That’s what I started with. I guess my question is if I put my original two wire sensor back in the driver head will it run the gauge and the tcs properly? This will put everything back to original. I always thought that a gauge and a light used two different sensors. I do believe a 70 has two sensors but not a 71. Thanks Dennis 

Dennis, I looked at my 70. The switch on my car on the passenger side runs to the tcs relay. On the driver's side I have a single terminal switch with a green wire. I hope this helps

20200729_204758.jpg

20200729_203340.jpg

20200729_204817.jpg

20200729_203340.jpg

I believe that’s what he wants me to do but I don’t have the second wire on the pass side for the tcs. And I don’t think that’s correct for a 71SS and I’m not cutting apart my harness to add wires(I hope). Thanks for the pics

No problem. But on my car the green wire runs from the switch on the motor directly to the tcs relay. It doesn't run to or through the harness.  Does the 71 have a switch on the right side?  Do you have the relay on the firewall? 

It’s a threaded plug. I can put a sensor there. BUT my main question is if a 71 SS 454 has idiot lights and tcs on one switch on the drivers head can that same two wire switch in drivers head be used to run a temp gauge and the tcs without changing anything?

It’s quite a dilemma. The switch differences were explained here on another topic.  If anyone has a 71 SS with the tcs still hooked up. Pics please. The wiring diagrams in the service manual do not differentiate between warning light and gauge????

The replacement temp sensor with gauges show one terminal and the sensor for light show two terminals. I'm not sure if the sensor sends a different signal to the guage. I think if it were me, I would add the sensor to the right side and install the proper sensor to the left side. Just my opinion. Good luck

I have a 71 SS with factory gauges and my driver side head has the single terminal with a green wire going to it. I don’t have any wires on the driver side head, and when I removed the wire harness didn’t find any wires that would go to the passenger side. I have had 2-70 SS Chevelle‘s with gauges and they both had the same sending unit on the driver side with one terminal and a green wire going to it, the passenger head had a 2 terminal connection on both cars so I was wondering why I didn’t have any wires going to the passenger head  on my 71 SS. I’m not as familiar with 71s as I am 70s so I’m still learning.

Ok so that makes sense one wire drivers side for gauge. The second wire run (green w/ white stripe goes to a connector under the booster and changes color to dark green at that connector and the dark green goes to the relay. Where would the dark green hook for the tcs to get its temp reading?

Hey Dennis, I have my 72 ( but not in front of me ) I do remember this issue when I was restoring these  items. I do have gauges and the drivers side has a signal terminal with green wire to the terminal. Passenger side has the 2 terminal switch with the 2 terminal plug. I will get pics tomm for you as to what color wires go to it. The harness was bought (American Autowire)  new but the colors of the wires were matched when I received it. Didn't get a chance to hook up the TCS yet but the wires are on the switch. 

The 1971 350, I took the gauges from, had two temp sending units, one right head, one (with two wires) on the left head. Since I removed the TCS stuff in 71 I never took the right sender from the donor car.

Bruce

So if I’m getting this correctly if a 71 has warning lights it has one sensor on the left head with two wires. If it has a gauge it has a single wire on left head ( for the temp gauge) and a dual wire on the right head for tcs. So I move tcs wire (green w/white stripe )to right head and figure out what wires goes on the second terminal. So can I use my original two wire sensor that I took out of the left head for the right head ?

Ok guys this is what i have again this is a '72 BB car.

This is the drivers side with a clip om connector and a solid green wire

IMG_1735.JPG.f4b83c1b66283fc13596190a92e82d66.JPG

This is the passenger side with only 1 terminal and a green and white wire

IMG_1736.JPG.725251590854c09f16148c2e805f8ba6.JPG

and just for the heck of it i took a pick of the TCS wires behind the carb (not completed yet)

IMG_1737.JPG.bf0cbcbf5b940679dd5a72fc35fa1648.JPG

Hope it helps!!!! Sorry for saying it was a double terminal, its not.

So as I posted earlier, my car has a 2 wire sensor. The wire has a a jumper to the second terminal. I don't know what the prior owner did to the car but he told me he replaced the engine harness but the wire to the tcs looks original

I will check and take pics of "barn find" tomorrow. I believe it is just like Willie's 72.

Even though it's a 71 402, it has factory gauges. Except for the cubic inch difference it should be the same as a 71 SS. 

Ok that makes more sense. I don’t have to come up with a second wire. So 70 has 1 wire drivers head and two wire pass head. 72 has 1 wire driver head and 1 wire pass head. Not when I go to purchase a tcs sensor for a 71 the books show two wire. That’s where all my confusion started from. I can make 1 wire each side work(I think). Anybody with an original 71 want to chime in?

Ok that makes more sense. I don’t have to come up with a second wire. So 70 has 1 wire drivers head and two wire pass head. 72 has 1 wire driver head and 1 wire pass head. Not when I go to purchase a tcs sensor for a 71 the books show two wire. That’s where all my confusion started from. I can make 1 wire each side work(I think). Anybody with an original 71 want to chime in?

Paul. Can you (not now but sometime) check the wire that is running right up the dipstick tube ( looks brown but green by the terminal) which I assume is the jumper and see what it connects to ( the tube is blocking it). Thanks Dennid

29 minutes ago, willie said:

Ok guys this is what i have again this is a '72 BB car.

This is the drivers side with a clip om connector and a solid green wire

IMG_1735.JPG.f4b83c1b66283fc13596190a92e82d66.JPG

This is the passenger side with only 1 terminal and a green and white wire

IMG_1736.JPG.725251590854c09f16148c2e805f8ba6.JPG

and just for the heck of it i took a pick of the TCS wires behind the carb (not completed yet)

IMG_1737.JPG.bf0cbcbf5b940679dd5a72fc35fa1648.JPG

Hope it helps!!!! Sorry for saying it was a double terminal, its not.

I don’t even have a connector like that ???? I think my car is broken😆

Dennis, no problem doing it now. I was just watching a little Cubs  baseball. The wire looks brown but it is green. I need to re-wire or clean that up a little. I moved the wires a bit to take a couple pictures. Hope it helps.20200731_203701.thumb.jpg.e61e900f14b8f5cea87cc8662e65c4a7.jpg

20200731_203703.jpg

20200731_203701.jpg