71SS. Tcs help please

Dtret

9 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Dennis, no problem doing it now. I was just watching a little Cubs  baseball. The wire looks brown but it is green. I need to re-wire or clean that up a little. I moved the wires a bit to take a couple pictures. Hope it helps.20200731_203701.thumb.jpg.e61e900f14b8f5cea87cc8662e65c4a7.jpg

20200731_203703.jpg

20200731_203701.jpg

Them wires do look original minus the connector 

22 hours ago, Jerry Skidmore said:

I have a 71 SS with factory gauges and my driver side head has the single terminal with a green wire going to it. I don’t have any wires on the driver side head, and when I removed the wire harness didn’t find any wires that would go to the passenger side. I have had 2-70 SS Chevelle‘s with gauges and they both had the same sending unit on the driver side with one terminal and a green wire going to it, the passenger head had a 2 terminal connection on both cars so I was wondering why I didn’t have any wires going to the passenger head  on my 71 SS. I’m not as familiar with 71s as I am 70s so I’m still learning.

I looked at my 70 SS chevelle also and I didn’t have anything on the passenger head either. Then I slapped myself ( and yes I made sure it hurt) my chevelle is a 4 speed😮( don’t tell nobody I did that)

Morning all. Here are pictures of the switches on the barn find.the pass side is one terminal that goes into a connector behind the booster near the fuse block. The driver's side is a bolt on connection and that wire goes into the harness on the driver's fender. 

IMG_20200801_102912.jpg

IMG_20200801_103011.jpg

IMG_20200801_102931.jpg

IMG_20200801_103028.jpg

So looks like the jumper wire will work ( pictured above) with my original two wire sensor in pass head. Drivers head is already done with one wire sensor. Thanks to all and again sorry to be a pain in the a..

Dennis

Okee dokey, here's one to make you go hmmmmm🤔. Doing a few minor things to my son's Monte and happened to see the original temp harness. It has 2 wires a green and a green and white. The car is originally an idiot light  car. It's not hooked up because he is using a mechanical temp gauge. 

IMG_20200801_152347.jpg

With the move to factory gauges it requires a single wire temp sensor for the gauge( a factory temp gauge is gm s version of a mechanical gauge). The original sender on drivers head is a two wire and your wiring is correct the other terminal runs the tcs

I looked at my temperature sending unit on the passenger head and it does have the two prongs like in the pictures here. But as I say there weren’t any wires connected to it so may have been cut from my harness, I’ll have to look at it closer. One thing I was wondering I know on the 70s they originally on the driver side head the sending unit for gauges had a threaded stud and then the wire had an eyelet which was held On with a nut. But later parts sending units had a mushroom head and you had to add a different connector to the wire. I’m wondering if 71 or 72 also had a threaded stud originally or did at some point they go to the mushroom head connector from the factory.

Look above at the post of my 71 402 "barn find" it has factory gauges and the driver's side temp unit is a stud and nut. 

This Monte was built Sept of 70. 

I picked up a gauge sensor at the parts store and it was a mushroom head. I also found in my 70 chevelle parts bin a wire repair kit for the end and it was for a mushroom head. I assume I bought it at Paddock when they were still in business that had to be at least fifteen years ago. So I get to say that I had it “in stock”😆

5 hours ago, Jerry Skidmore said:

I looked at my temperature sending unit on the passenger head and it does have the two prongs like in the pictures here. But as I say there weren’t any wires connected to it so may have been cut from my harness, I’ll have to look at it closer. One thing I was wondering I know on the 70s they originally on the driver side head the sending unit for gauges had a threaded stud and then the wire had an eyelet which was held On with a nut. But later parts sending units had a mushroom head and you had to add a different connector to the wire. I’m wondering if 71 or 72 also had a threaded stud originally or did at some point they go to the mushroom head connector from the factory.

Look under your brake booster sort of by the the harness go in the firewall and see if you have an unused plug there green W/ white stripe 

Dennis,Right now my firewall looks like this so I will see if I have some pictures that shows that area for that connector. I noticed barn find 402 right after I sent my post so 71s must’ve had the threaded stud originally. My car was assembled in December 70 at the Baltimore plant. Is your 402 barn find car that was built September 1970 also a Baltimore car? 

2DD6F559-F64B-4CE0-9EBD-76713C857B7A.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Jerry Skidmore said:

Dennis,Right now my firewall looks like this so I will see if I have some pictures that shows that area for that connector. I noticed barn find 402 right after I sent my post so 71s must’ve had the threaded stud originally. My car was assembled in December 70 at the Baltimore plant. Is your 402 barn find car that was built September 1970 also a Baltimore car? 

2DD6F559-F64B-4CE0-9EBD-76713C857B7A.jpeg

That looks awesome. Now you can either do mine or sell me the rotisserie. 😂 

Dennis these are the only photos that I could find. I don’t see that connector by the master cylinder in any of my pictures, but I will check the harness when I get home. I won’t be back till August 10 though. I have a question for MC one of 80, my Cowl tag says the assembly date is the third week of September however there was a strike September 14 for 67 days so my door decal says it was built December 1970 and my Vin number is 118567.Can you tell me what date is on your Cowl tag and do you have the blue decal on your door jam with the assembly month?

4E23E13A-5D15-490B-AFCD-8FB2E792D359.png

8649DA57-E449-4A70-AAA5-14AF3F9E66B5.png

1FE683E8-3F52-4BDF-ACAA-3D4AD3CE0E9E.png

387E4F19-77E8-4C4C-9E86-79BDF36A5F20.png

I will check the cowl tag tomorrow. As for the blue decal on the driver's door, it says September of 1970. 

My 70 SS was built September of 1969. What are the odds? Same month, a year apart. 

As promised,

My 71 402 "Barn Find" was built/assembled the 2nd week of September. B112688

Your car was built 4,121 after mine. 

When was the strike? I ask because our 71 402 4speed, numbers matching, engine, trans, rear Monte Carlos engine was built August of 70 but the car was assembled the 3rd week of January 71. 

IMG_20200803_124829.jpg

IMG_20200803_124907.jpg

The strike started at midnight on September 14, 1970 and lasted for 67 days. Your car was built just before the strike started and my car was scheduled to be built the third week of September but due to the strike didn’t get built till December I believe the first or second week of December it was built according to the Vin number. My engine assembly date is September 3, 1970 and most of the components are dated August September. The latest date I have found is the windshield which is October 1970. A couple of things that I have found different on my car from later 71 is the rear bottom of the bench seat has carpet in the kick area instead of vinyl and the rear speaker grills are rectangular like 70s instead of oval like 71 and 72. I would imagine your bench seat also has carpet and if you have speakers in the rear package tray are also rectangular?

9E48B00A-4642-4E20-BF26-DEF3012D4A2E.png

I ordered a 70 on Sept 20th. Took ten weeks to get it. Assembled at the Van Nuys plant. Came with a Chevelle steering wheel center and the drip rail molding was dinged. Small  block 400, turbo 350 Tranny, am/fm stereo, rear window defogger, a/c, Forest Green with dark green cloth interior 

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring this post back, but I also had 2 relays like what were shown in the pictures on this post. But my car didn't have AC ever and it has idiot lites. So my question is do I need to replace these relays if I don't have AC and I'm going with mechanical gauges? Plus I stripped the firewall awhile ago but I can find these relays. Hahaha

Thanks 

Scott

50 years ago my 71 350 4BBL NO A/C and no gauges Monte came with the two relays on the firewall and all the TSC stuff.

I removed and rerouted some of the TCS stuff (hoses to the vacuum advance) about 49 - 3/4 years ago and don't know what the relays were for.

With TCS, you only got vacuum to the Dist when the trans shifted into 3rd gear. The solenoid that controlled the idle speed "stuck out" in 3rd gear so the engine didn't suck extra gasoline when you removed your foot from the throttle. 

To test and adjust I remember you needed to shift into Reverse. 

I never understood how it all worked and why it needed two relays.

Good Luck!

Edited by stangeba
added no gauges (but I do have them now!!)