5.5 Back Spacing

1 hour ago, BIGE1970 said:

I see a lot of talk about the 5.5, But have not actually seen anyone with them on.

Pictures would be great.

Ok, here you go: 275/60-15 BFGs on 15x8 Wheel Vintiques rally rims with 5.5" BS on the rear.  That backspace will give at least 3/4" clearance between the sidewall and the unmodified wheel opening lip on the rear quarter.  It also allows the use of 3'" deep dish rally trim rings as shown in the photos below.  Only a 4" BS is needed on 15x7 rims in the front to accommodate the same deep dish trim rings.

PA230044.JPG

PA230053.JPG

PA230055.JPG

PA230054.JPG

• Like 2

I have 17x8.5 w/5.75 backspacing. The wheels are getting powder coated right now. I take a picture of the backspacing and with wheels installed, when I get them back. I do have a rear disc brake setup.

I got my wheels back yesterday and got some measurements. The rear tires are Toyo 275/40/r17 and are 10.375" wide. The cross section should be 10.83" if it was really 275mm. The back space on the wheel is 5.75". The clearance on the outer wheel well molding is 1.5" and the overall opening is just over 13". That leaves about an 1.125" in back. A 5.5" backspace would work just fine with this tire. A 295 tire would also work as it should be about 11.6" wide. See photos

MC black wheels.jpg

Backside wheel well.jpg

WW depth2.jpg

Front side wheel well.jpg

Toyo 275 Tire width.jpg

Wheel black.jpg

Wheel backspace.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2020 at 6:32 PM, BIGE1970 said:

Thank you all. Has anyone tried, since it fits the mfg spec., 295 on an 8 with 5.5? How much will the 8 pull in the 12.2 spec on 9.5?

Did you ever try the 295s on the 15x8 5.5 backspacing. Looking at buying a set of 295/55/15 MT ET SS' tires and fitting them on wheels with the previously mentioned wheel configuration. Measuring my wheel opening and axle flange distance from the inner fender it seems like a 5.5 backspacing centers the tire in the opening almost perfectly with an 8 inch wheel, just curious is you did it. 

• 1 year later...