Timing line on the balancer

71MonteCarloMD

Is that the original 50 year old balancer? If yes, the rubber ring is certainly not what it should be and I'd assume the outer ring has moved so don't rely on the timing mark being where it belongs. Consider replacing it.

Get yourself a piston stop and you'll be able to mark exactly where TTDC #1 is.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paul Bell said:

Is that the original 50 year old balancer? If yes, the rubber ring is certainly not what it should be and I'd assume the outer ring has moved so don't rely on the timing mark being where it belongs. Consider replacing it.

Get yourself a piston stop and you'll be able to mark exactly where TTDC #1 is.

Good thought. I know when I adjust the timing using the timing mark on my 70 (original balancer) it seems wrong. I initially set timing using the mark and then adjust from there slightly to where it runs better. Then I always have the wrench with me on the next few drives in case it needs a slight tweak.

yes, the original timing specs are conservative, to say the least, in order to meet emissions requirements.

Aaron, your method is sound. Keep an open ear as you drive for pinging...especially at light throttle acceleration. 

I usually hold my revs at about 3000 and adjust my timing by ear...dialing back & forth with the distributor until I get the smoothest engine at that speed, then I lock it down.

What I end up with at idle is anybody's guess.

1 hour ago, wallaby said:

Aaron, your method is sound. Keep an open ear as you drive for pinging...especially at light throttle acceleration.

Yeah, I definitely listen for the ping and dial it back a little if necessary.

Hi all - thanks for input as this is new to me, please do give me guidance/advice as I am a DIYer.  I only need to set timing after replacing point style distributor with Petronix. The previous owner stated he rebuilt the engine and it is approx 30k.

Is this what I need? https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6005214?partTypeName=Harmonic+Balancer&keywordInput=balancer

What else do I need to do?

I have a silly question for you Rick. Is your engine a 350 small block or 402/454 big block?

The one you linked to is the Dorman part. For a little more money, you can get the ACDelco/GM part: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-6272222-Original-Equipment-Crankshaft/dp/B0049Z7BQS

well, you need a puller to get that darn thing off. It goes further into the engine than you would expect. Might as well replace the front crank seal while you're at it, and then you need an installer tool to put the new one on.

You never want to use a hammer to drive the new one on.

I know from experience that the hold-down bolt isn't long enough to press the new dampner on. The bolt holds up fine...it's the threads in the nose of the crankshaft that fail.

Paul, it’s SB 350 and thanks for the link as it stated it didn’t fit my 71?

Mark, thanks for the tip as I realize the gasket is wearing down.  Is this right tool to install? ProForm 66515 Harmonic Balancer Installation Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A8OGMU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OVDmFbS70B4VJ

And I realized I might have the puller as it’s from my Dad, is it right tool to pull it out?

image.jpg

40 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Paul, it’s SB 350 and thanks for the link as it stated it didn’t fit my 71?

I wouldn't go by what Amazon says fits or doesn't fit.

The GM part number is the replacement for the part number of the original balancer that came on 350 engines back in the day.

I prefer the style of balancer puller that uses the pulley bolts. https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Pcs-Harmonic-Balancer-Puller/dp/B00KROI574/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1VXA2DATN7E9T&dchild=1&keywords=harmonic+balancer+puller+kit&qid=1597105795&sprefix=harmonic+%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-5

Paul and Dennis, thanks and not sure if HF and Amazon have same quality?

And do you have preference on installer if the link I shared above is not correct?

im trying to find right timing cover gasket as it seems it comes with or without bottom small curve gasket, do I need that?  Or would it be better to get one piece gasket?

Edited by 71MonteCarloMD

As mentioned by Mark A., you're further ahead by getting a balancer installation tool as well. It'll help protect the threads on the crankshaft and also prevent you trying to beat it on with a hammer. You can try to look for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ProForm-66515-Harmonic-Balancer-Installation/dp/B000A8OGMU

It'll screw into the crank and then use a wrench on it to slowly screw it onto the crank. It has a bearing to help things along. (not endorsing this one, just a quick google search. If you look at Summit, a few people say it broke off in the crank. Probably a case of you get what you pay for.)

52 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Paul and Dennis, thanks and not sure if HF and Amazon have same quality?

And do you have preference on installer if the link I shared above is not correct?

im trying to find right timing cover gasket as it seems it comes with or without bottom small curve gasket, do I need that?  Or would it be better to get one piece gasket?

I have the big set in top of Dennis's photo, it does everything, SAE and metric.

Rick, your photo looks like the engine is in the car. To remove the timing cover, you need to at least drop the oil pan an inch or two which means the engine needs to be raised up a bunch or removed from the car. You can replace the crank seal from the timing cover once the damper is removed without removing the timing cover from the engine.

16 hours ago, jft69z said:

As mentioned by Mark A., you're further ahead by getting a balancer installation tool as well. It'll help protect the threads on the crankshaft and also prevent you trying to beat it on with a hammer. You can try to look for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ProForm-66515-Harmonic-Balancer-Installation/dp/B000A8OGMU

It'll screw into the crank and then use a wrench on it to slowly screw it onto the crank. It has a bearing to help things along. (not endorsing this one, just a quick google search. If you look at Summit, a few people say it broke off in the crank. Probably a case of you get what you pay for.)

I agree with the install tool. I’ve pressed them on with a rigged set up but it’s a pain in the ars. If you beat them on with s hammer and block of wood you risk throwing the balancer out of balance by moving the rubber insert.  That makes all kinds of funny( not so ) vibrations

Thanks all as I placed my order for few things from Amazon, hope to begin the work this weekend 😀

From viewing some YouTube’s, I’m unclear on how far do I push the balancer in, is there a specific way to install it with the tool, like when do I stop pressing the balancer?

Check with a local parts store and see if they sell them. After you are finished you can return and get a full refund. I have done that with several special tools I did not think I would ever use again