wont crank

dave m

hi i have been having lots of elec gremlins since i started working on my cluster. gas gauge/volt gauge /tach problems. still have a tach prob.  i  just got the car to start today after changing the dist i think some how the tach was shorting the ign??  but it started and run now after many diffrent things.  I was trying to trace the tach prob not hooked to the ign  not it wont crank I could always hear a click when turning the key on an still do.  is there anythingon the fire wall near the boster or dist that i could have knocked loose????  I did check all the fuses never had a starter prob and all batt cables ect are new.  i started working on this to have it done for the carsile show     thanks dave

Hey Dave,

Do you have power at the starter solenoid terminal when you turn the key to crank the engine?  If the solenoid doesn't get any power, it won't crank the engine.  That same wire runs through the main engine wiring harness on the firewall behind the distributor.  I've had several occasions myself where that old wire needs to be replaced with a newer, heavier gauge wire.

Also, be careful around the harness firewall plug below the booster.  If the plug or any of those wires come loose, that will also cause you problems.  Did you happen to disconnect that plug while working on the dash cluster work?  It is possible that when you put the plug back, one or more of the terminals inside the plug get pushed back away from the connection.  You can see this by looking at the inside of the plug or closely looking at the outside of the plug for moved/different looking wires.  Ask me how I know.

Good luck!!
Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imr said:

do you have a points distributor. 

What Antoine said, with just a click when your trying to start the car could be a starter or coil issue.

(edited) tree'd by Mike lol 

thanks problem solved late last night. the bolt for the starter sol that the batt cable hooks to is loose inside the sol. dont know how this could happen the cable is tight????

going to try to tighten before i buy a new sol.  tach update i think the tach term on the back of the tach   fctory in dash tach     must be touching the metal gauge   cluster housing every time i plug it in it blows the ing fuse   thanks again dave