NAPA shocks

While in Norwalk OH for the Eastern Meet in 2016 we had a shock break. With the great help of 

Vince Jimenez I was able to replace the right side on the show field. Sitting at a show yesterday Glendia noticed something hanging down behind the left rear wheel. Low and behold there was another broken shock. HEY Vince are you able to help me out again  LOL LOL LOL  NAPA replaced the first one debating whether to try and get them to do it again or just go elsewhere 

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

I love the Bilstein shocks I purchased from tirerack.com. They have held up well and really keep the car more stable than the Monroe's I switched them with.

oh geez, did the other one break the same way? I never saw a shock break the eyelet off before.

Do you have tall springs in the car? I don't think that breakage is from compression, but it sure could be from over-extending.

Jack up that corner only until the tire comes off the ground, and see if that shock was long enough to go from point A to point B. If the shock is acting as a mechanical limiter to your suspension travel, it's going to break again.

1 hour ago, wallaby said:

oh geez, did the other one break the same way? I never saw a shock break the eyelet off before.

Do you have tall springs in the car? I don't think that breakage is from compression, but it sure could be from over-extending.

Jack up that corner only until the tire comes off the ground, and see if that shock was long enough to go from point A to point B. If the shock is acting as a mechanical limiter to your suspension travel, it's going to break again.

Good suggestion Mark. good to see your posts back here on the boards!

rob

The guys at NAPA have never seen any of the break like this either. I bought some Gaberial shocks and put them on yesterday. The bottom eyelet is WELDED(you can see a very healthy weld) to the shock body while the NAPA shocks look like they were spot welded.

Ok, I guess we'll see how those work. I think I have Monroe on mine, but did a  KYB monotube on my other car and I might change over to those for the Monte.