Buying assistance

BYBIS

Okay guys, I'm looking to finally purchase my 1970 Monte.  Since I can't seem to find my unicorn (Triple black 70 SS 454 with PW, buckets, automatic), I'm going to purchase something close and make it mine.  With that said, I know purchasing one of these is all about personal preference.  However, I would like opinions on what others think about my dilemma.  Please no peanut gallery comments.  This is a very big decision for me.  My goal is this:  Have a nice 70 SS Monte that I can cruise to car shows with my daughter in.  I don't want a maintenance queen but I also can't afford $35-$40K for something off a rotisserie.  With that said, here is some common info on both and then the differences below that:

COMMON:  Neither is #'s matching.  Both have had some engine mods completed.  Both are Midwestern babies.  Both are 70 SS cars, black on black, with power windows.  Both are automatics. Both have 12 bolt posi

Differences

Vehicle 1:  Bench seat, column shift, cloth seats, no factory tach, some wiring work was done to try and make it a push button start vehicle (why, I don't know).  454 base with mods,  now a 505. 650 horse with build sheet, new 1/4s, new trunk pan, new inner fenders, paint relatively new (about 3 years).

Vehicle 2:  Interior exactly as I want it.  The engine, though, is an old school BEAST.  454 base, bored out .60 over, roller cam, manual valve body, dual carbs on a high rise with a snorkel sticking out of the hood.  Older paint (about 30 years, starting to peel around rear body/tail lamp connection to 1/4's.  Runs on 93 octane or better only.  I'm guessing HP is similar, if not a little higher.  

Price difference is $5K (veh 1 is 5k more).

To "make it mine":

Vehicle 1 needs: bucket seats, tilt column, change from column to floor , probably a new carpet, and a factory tach changeover.  

Vehicle 2 needs:  new engine (not even going to think about trying to de-claw that beast), new paint, probably some new suspension as it's been setting for about 3 years.

So there's my dilemma.  Let me hear your thoughts.  

I would select the 2nd option Tom.  Attempting to gather all those options for #1 would be a nightmare.  Of course without seeing both vehicles, I'm basing my thoughts on both being comparable to each other otherwise.  If option #2 has all the options that #1 doesn't, vehicle #2 is more valuable as it sits now.  Paint probably your biggest expense and only dependent on how much you are willing to spend.  While a good job on the exterior metal repair is very helpful, if vehicle #2 is free from metal repair/bondo, again your best choice in my opinion.

Actually, I don't think I would require any more info (without 1st looking of course) than what I have offered.  Again, purely my opinion................. 

Good luck on your selection and nice given a choice too!  Sure you will get many other opinions.:2beers:

Doug

• Like 1

Frankly, Tom, I would pass on both of those and just contact Steve Redmyer (sredmyer) in this club.  He has a stable full of '70 SS models including one or more triple black beauties.  Not sure if he is ready to let any go right now, but he has been known to in the past.  Good luck.

IMG_5822.JPG

• Like 3

If the paint/body on #1 is good you might be better off in the long run. Body and paint work can be very expensive. Note it will be costly to switch to buckets/console/tilt/gauges which is a lot more involved than people think (brackets need to be welded to the floor board, wiring harnesses, etc)

From personal experience I can tell you that even though the exterior of the car may not be perfect, your sitting on the inside if it’s not what you want you will never be happy with the car. I do realize that all can be changed (as I am doing) be its very expensive either way. You have to look at the bones of the car and make your best choice. # 2 may be the best option but with high perf engines comes racing, cutting and welding on frames. It’s a hard decision. Keep us informed good luck. Also if you’re paying for an SS make sure your getting an SS look for the hard to find SS parts there is s ton of value in that. If that stuff is still there it’s a good indication that it wasn’t screwed with too awful bad 

Edited by Dtret
Add
  • Like 1

Hey Tom, I'm going to agree with Dennis and pass on both. I'd also suggest you post pictures in the future of something your interested in, the people here can easily pic out things that are suspicious on these classics.

As previously stated, #1 is a ton of work to make it yours and if they have played with the harness's you have no idea what your in for. You say #2 has been sitting for 3? years, can you even test drive it? What engine are you going to buy to drop in, keep in mind the costs to do that. Also paint and body is expensive and most of the good shops have a waiting list.

And I know you don't want to hear this, but have you considered not going triple black? I feel your pain as I too wanted a black 454 but after over a year of searching I had to change my priorities. I ended up with a triple green, buckets. p/w and such and am completely fine with that.

And heres my peanut gallery comment.. If your taking your daughter and or family members on cruises or car shows, I would buy the safest, best , least amount of work needed Monte I could afford to start enjoying as soon as you buy it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

And heres my peanut gallery comment.. If your taking your daughter and or family members on cruises or car shows, I would buy the safest, best , least amount of work needed Monte I could afford to start enjoying as soon as you buy it. 

Yes, totally agree with this!

• Like 1

Guys-  Thank you for your input.  I have reached out to Steve Redmyer to see what he has and will go from there.  I'll keep y'all posted.

You'll be better off with the 35-40k car but its hard for most to pull out that kinda $$

You might consider a small loan to buy a better car with your cash and roll with it. 

I do have a 70 SS black on red done just like factory.  Check it out in this forum

• Like 1