Dipstick tube on small block

Canuck

My dipstick tube pulls out of the block when I pull the dipstick. I can’t see anything that’s supposed to hold it In the block. Should the end of the tube simply be flared a little more so it stays in? 

The way I remember it is the bottom end is the smallest and it tapers up till it’s tight at the flared ring or it flares right below the ring. I have pushed them in and the use a small block of wood for the final tap tap to lock it in place.

• Like 1

On one of my former autos I had that problem of the dipstick tube pulling out and I just tapped the end of it with a small hammer to elongate it and then reinstalled it. Worked great but I also cleaned everything thing around the block and tube and put a small dollop of gasket sealer to make sure it did not leak.

• Like 1

I agree with what Leghome stated. You can also use a little silicone after you opened it up a little or just try the silicone. Just make sure you clean both areas well. 

• 3 weeks later...