TH350 to TH400 Shift Pattern

201fireman

I swapped a TH350 for a TH400. I used the same shifter cable and things. When I put it in gear, the floor shift doesn't line up with the gears as you got through them.  For example, when it is in drive, you look down and the shifter says it is in the neutral position. It goes through the gears ok, the spacing between the gears just seems tighter. Am I missing something?

You can fudge it, and use it as it is, but the neutral safety switch will be confused. You may find you can't start it in neutral. Get the right bracket and adjust it, and all should be good. I usually put the trans in neutral, and the shifter in neutral, and make the adjustment. If you get neutral right, it most likely will travel up to park ok, and then down to low ok;.

Gotcha, thanks guys. Yes I did buy the right bracket on the side of the trans. I believe my TH350 bracket was horizontal and this one is vertical or the other way around.  I am betting the adjustment on the horseshoe handle might solve it. I wasn't aware of that.  I am using the same cable from the shifter to the bracket, that's was I was hoping wasn't the problem with the TH400 sitting back a bit farther.  I guess I look at the shifter adjustment. Thanks again for the help guys!