Vinyl roof trim color

The paint on the trim matched the vinyl. There are lots of us who have stripped the paint off of the trim. I plan to repaint mine some day.

The vinyl break moldings are painted the color of the roof. In the case of a two tone painted roof car, the vinyl break molding is also painted the color of the roof. It's a flat or almost flat color.

Difficult to get paint to stick because it's stainless. Buff them up, clean and warm and shoot first with a self etching primer.

The color codes for these moldings are at the bottom on the 1970 paint chart here in our technical section.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/paintcodes/

Vinyl Break TWO.jpg

• Like 3

Just a question to those who left them painted. As I am restoring the 71SS I  tempted now to paint them but wouldn’t it be a constant problem of keeping the paint stuck to the stainless?

I repainted mine. I took out any dings and polished them, then used wax and grease remover to remove the polishing compounds. I then taped over the high edge to sand the wider part with 600 grit. Took the tape off, degreased again, then retaped to have a clean edge after hitting the first tape with the sandpaper. I then screwed some trim clips onto a 2x6 to snap the trim on, with the taped edge up to prevent paint trying to run under the tape. Degreased it again, then used very light coats of satin paint. It covered well. Be careful to remove the tape correctly. 

Dan

20170807_114146.jpg

• Like 5