Brake light in dash ?

DragCat

Ok, i'm wondering when the brake light in the instrument panel is supposed to light up. Currently it lights up when the parking brake is engaged so I know the bulb is good lol. And I see a wire going from the proportioning valve to the firewall. I just installed roll control / line loc (which works great) and my buddy thinks the light should be on when I engage the line loc and only the front brakes are on. At least thats how it is on his 69 Camaro. 

Thanks Paul, 

I did install the red bulb that came with the kit, kind of just a visual verification point I guess since ya gotta keep the button depressed for the line loc. 

• Like 1

The dash brake light should also light up if you lose either the front or rear brakes due to a line burst or something like that. That's why the wire is on the proportioning valve, it's a switch that'll move if one side is lost. It'll provide a ground path to light up the light, just like pressing the park brake also grounds that circuit.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jft69z said:

The dash brake light should also light up if you lose either the front or rear brakes due to a line burst or something like that. That's why the wire is on the proportioning valve, it's a switch that'll move if one side is lost. It'll provide a ground path to light up the light, just like pressing the park brake also grounds that circuit.

Ok. i'll have to look into that then...obviously I don't know if it ever worked lol. I thought maybe the line loc solenoid was confusing the proportioning valve signal. 

5 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Ok. i'll have to look into that then...obviously I don't know if it ever worked lol. I thought maybe the line loc solenoid was confusing the proportioning valve signal

It's possible, not sure about the line loc & how that would affect it. I guess it depends on where the solenoid is inserted into the system and how the prop valve sees the imbalance. Never installed or used one. Next time you're at the track, look around maybe, see what the other guys say?

3 minutes ago, jft69z said:

It's possible, not sure about the line loc & how that would affect it. I guess it depends on where the solenoid is inserted into the system and how the prop valve sees the imbalance. Never installed or used one. Next time you're at the track, look around maybe, see what the other guys say?

Laughing, yea in theory it could go either way. My buddy's 69 Camaro it does make the brake light come on when the line loc is engaged, front brakes on back brakes off. I'll have to text a friend that races a first gen and see if he has line loc and if it lights the light, or if he even cares lol 

I did text a friend that races a first gen and has line loc, he said his light doesn't illuminate with line loc engaged. I'm going to look into it but i'm not putting it on my priority list lol 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

I didn't think of that, good to know, thanks

• Like 1