Heat riser

I still have the original heat riser On my 70 Monte. It makes quite the rattling noise when cold but is quiet once the engine warms up and it opens all the way. Is there a way to quiet it down?

Back in 1997 I wrapped a piece of coat hanger wire around it to jam it open. It stayed that way until I just had it blasted and ceramic coated. I’m now reminded why I jammed it open, haha.

If you want to keep the original on the car you can take it off pull it apart and weld a bead on the shaft then grind it down. There is probably a grove on the shaft from opening and closing and when it warms up the metal expands to shut up the noise 

You can also replace it with an open spacer or the original type  spacer. I used the open spacer on Barn Find. I got mine from Ground Up. They have them for small and big blocks. 

Well now, since this was brought up, I have a question. I’m going back to factory exhaust manifolds and bought the spacer. I can’t seem to find what side it goes on. I seem to remember it being on the driver side. It would make sense as there is more room there on the big block cars. So which side?

Thanks, Rodney

Rodney,

On my 71 350 4BBL it was on the passenger side. I added a Walker dual exhaust and left it out 30+ years ago and now have lost it.

Good luck,

Bruce

As others have said it is on the pass side.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) The new risers and spacers are pricey so was looking at alternatives. I might simply jam it open again and ask the question in another 23 years, LOL.