No 3rd gear on TH350

FamilyMan

I have a 70 Monte Carlo with a sb400 and a th350 trans in it, the trans does not shift into 3rd gear at all other than that the trans works fine, reverse-ok, 1st & 2nd gear-ok, does not bang into gear at all. I double checked the kickdown cable and it seems to be ok, i adjusted according to the book, I also double checked the vacuum line for leaks and its ok. I recently did a filter and fluid service on the trans also and the fluid level is right on, I do not know how the trans was working before as I just bought the car with no intake & carb on the engine and I just got it running. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Maybe something is up with the valve body. But it could be the 2-3 accumulator or something is up with the direct clutch pack, none of that is good.

I hope you can come up with better news than I just gave you.

3rd gear usually goes out first then reverse will fail, and 1st & 2nd will work forever.

Well that's been my TH350 experience anyway.

3rd & reverse use the same bands.

...what Bob said.....

I've heard 3rd and reverse use the same clutch pack.

I remember pushing my first Monte out of the parking space in high school (a long time ago!) cuz I lost 3rd and reverse! Fortunately, I had 2.73 gears so that bought me some time wink .

Marxx - I guess anything is possible....

From my experience, a bad vacuum modulator will affect shift points in all gears. Another sign its bad would be if there is tranny fluid in the transmission vacuum line.

Same goes for the governor - it controls the 1-2 shift also.

How many miles on the tranny? Is it due for a rebuild?

Maybe the reason the carb and intake were robbed was because the car was parked from a busted tranny??? confused

Maybe a club member in your area has a tranny.....anybody else?

• 2 weeks later...

A new rebuilt th-350 trans about 700.00. I rebuilt my original trans about a month ago, I got it done and installed for 800.00. I had the same problems, 3rd went first, follwed by reverse.

Good luck,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

REV & 3rd share the 'direct' clutch pack.

I know this much cuz I had pressure switch in the 3rd gear pressure port fail.. and my trans would squirt oil out in 3rd and reverse only!!! smile

the "band" in a TH350 is only used in LOW-2 if I remember correctly.

2nd gear but in "drive" only the intermediate clutch is used... in "Low-2" second gear.. the band is used for extra holding power.

if I missed detail .. forgive me.. my th350 book isn't right infront of me.