Vin # question

DDay

The Vin # on my Monte Carlo is 200779.  Is this a low production car or high? What does the 2 mean if the numbers start with 1?

1970 - 1971

VINfor7071.jpg

1st Digit Division 1 Chevrolet
2nd and 3rd Digits Series 38 Monte Carlo
4th and 5 Digits Body Style 57 2-dr hardtop coupe
6th Digit Model Year 0 1970
1 1971
7th Digit Assembly Plant B Baltimore, MD
F Flint, MI
K Kansas City, Mo
L Los Angeles/Van Nuys, CA
1 Oshawa, ON Canada
Last 6 Digits Production sequence Starting at 100001 (except Canadian production in 1971 starting at 500001)

VINfor7071.jpg

High 100779 if US built. US started with 100000. But I think a plant started with a 2. And I think Canada started with a 5. But others will for sure correct me if I’m wrong.Just wait a few one of the group will post the absolute correct answer. What plant did it come from?

Mine is L110865. So that makes it ten thousand 865 built for 71. My production date is 9/18/70. Don’t fret they only made 1919 71 SS’s and you got one. They were not all made at they same time. Sorry if yours is a 70 same deal they only made a few hundred more then in 71

Edited by Dtret

• 3 weeks later...

If Baltimore start their sequence numbers with a 2, then your car would have been the 779th that rolled off the line.

Bear in mind that the UAW called o strike in September of 1969 so full production did not happen until January of 1970.

This may mean that management assembled your car......I'd check all the bolts.😂😂😂😷

My car is F138237 which is the 38,237th to come off the Flint assembly line in April of 1970.

• Haha 1

Look at your cowl tag.  It is located under the hood on the drivers side near the firewall. On the left side of the tag you will see a code with 2 numbers and a letter.  It will look like 08C (08 is the month C is the third week).  11B (second week of November).  This will tell you when the car was made and let you know high or low for your production. This number will align with a month and day build date on the top left of the build sheet if you have on.  My last 70  Monte was an early build 08D. On the top left of the build sheet it showed 8-26.  

• 3 weeks later...