Trunk floor selection

Im going to buy a complete floor pan for the trunk of the Monte. From what I can tell it looks like Goodmark and Dynacorn  both make a one piece pan with braces and all.

Does anyone have a preference? Any first hand experience?  Fitment , metal thickness?  Also now im seeing that AMD has a 71 -72 Chevelle floor that looks the same but doesnt list it as Monte compatible. Hmmm

Thanks

I don't think any trunk floor will really be Monte specific. Most of it will be the same but where it meets the tail panel will be different (much different than a 70-72 Chevelle). I think I used a 70 AMD trunk floor in my car because the 71-72 floor was on back order. If the original section of trunk floor that meets the tail panel is good and you can section the one piece pan to fit than you will be in good shape. Mine was rotted out so I ended up using a lot of the replacement floor and modified it to work. The AMD floor did have the bracket for the spare tire already installed.

Thats what I have found out. The sites that listed it for a Monte also said something about modifying the rear. I ordered the AMD 71-72 Chevelle piece. Jegs had a special $99 truck freight deal. I have the body off the frame so I was hoping to get it replaced from the bottom, but who knows.   Studying the pictures, it looks identical until the tail panel. Thanks for the replies.

Tommy I replaced the trunk floor in my 71 with a whole floor for a 71/71 Chevelle, I believe it was from AMD. I bought it from Leo Konik a member here that runs Koniksklassics, he has many Monte Carlo parts. Leo also talked me through the replacement of the floor. Leo’s insite was really helpful, great guy that is recommended by many on this site. I was able to install the whole trunk pan from below (my car was off the frame at the time also). I removed/ replaced the trunk drop offs which gave me a little extra room. It is tight with the quarters on but can be done. I cut the Chevelle back brace off and spliced it to the Monte rear brace as mine was in good shape. I will try to add some pictures. It came out great and no one have been able to tell that the trunk was ever replaced.

5C1A7CDD-E27A-4BB7-9795-09FDD3D82C94.jpeg

C2C6B7F4-9776-4619-8F0C-E777192A1590.jpeg

D16260B8-B213-41AC-8706-9AEBD9664E3A.jpeg

2F805C65-07BE-43A0-B127-AAEC7DFDD7F2.jpeg

29CFD9D7-A480-4280-ADEA-C6882AC31EE8.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for the pictures guys. My tail panel is rusted out so I'm sure some fabrication will need to be done. Also I'm keeping an eye out for a good tail panel. The joys of midwest rust.  I have no doubt I'll be back with questions when I get the floor.  

5 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Kudos to all you guys doing the body part replacement. Something I cannot do. If it don’t bolt on I’m screwed. You all deserve a round of cold ones. 

:dtI'm with you on that one, I can do a little but that's way over my head.

If you slice the beaded areas you can bend the panel to a 90 pretty easily. Then just weld the reliefs and grind them smooth. I ended up cutting the outer portion off and then added a couple strips so the tail panel could mount to it. Putting the body on the frame would make it pretty easy to line up(id use new body mount bushings all around).

If you get lucky maybe you will find a tail panel that still has a piece of good trunk floor. That would make for a nice install like John's!

Yes I'm hoping to find a nice tail panel or a decent parts car. Have had 3 parts cars over the years and got rid of them all after I thought I had all the parts I needed. Why did I do that? I'm thinking I'll save the brace pictured below,and weld it to the new panel. I need the 2 holes for the bumper bracket. This is all preliminary guessing right now. Thanks for all the info.

IMG_20200914_171532908.jpg