Frame Off Rebuild

Paul C

I'm a new member and just bought a 1971 MC.  The previous owner stripped the car down and then gave up.  I have all the parts (I think) except the engine & tranny & front fenders and inner pans.  I plan a frame off rebuild and I want to tub it.  I plan to fab a rear frame section to allow the for the larger tubs.  Has anyone ever done this??  My plan is to buy a totaled 2006 or up Cadillac Escalade  for a donor car, use the 6.2 engine & tranny.  Any thoughts 

First, welcome to the club and forums, Paul!  Second, I think you must be an ambitious, talented and experienced car guy to take on the project you described.  While almost all of that is way beyond me, there are other members that can walk with you through most of it.  I just hope you have the time, resources and patience to see your dreams fulfilled.  Some of us have to live vicariously through the accomplishments of others so don't be bashful about sharing your progress - we love photos.  Good luck!

Welcome Paul! Sounds like a nice project you are getting into. The 6.2 swap is a good one. Reliability, power and gas milage. Kinda hard to beat! 

I personally have not tubbed a Monte. I did purchase one tho. Thought it was a builder but turned out to be a pig with lipstick. Too far gone so we parted it out. It had a S&W rear frame kit. Very nice option as opposed to figuring it all out. Just a thought. 

It was a 70 with 72 tail panel trim added.

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

Welcome. Are you sure you want to do this to a Monte. They are worth saving. You could do it to a Ford nobody cares about them. JK. Just havin fun. Time patience and fab skills and you’ll get her done. O ya lots of money. You may want to double check the vin just in case her started to restore a valuable car. Just a thought. Good luck

Well Paul ,First Welcome to the club!! Sounds like a plan with the Cadillac pieces. Friend of mine was going to do a '65-'66 Nova with same options. He just bought a '72 Monte and is going with a LS motor/trans. swap. I'd think you would just have to mini-tub rear to fit those tires. Remember measure twice, cut once! Good luck with the build ,it would be different for sure!post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

Thank you guys for all the replies.  I have built race cars since I was a kid, I have an engineering background, and started welding when I was 12.  .  My 1st totaled rebuild was a 1970 MC in 1972 I was 17 at the time.  Turned out great, really enjoyed that car (several trophies from the local strip).  Update:  I'm building a rotisserie before I seperate the body & frame. I hope to have it finished in a week or so.   I bought the tires I want for the rear, Michelin 315/35/20, a little over 12" wide tires.  My plan is to take the frame, have it blasted, then build a jig for all the mounting points.  At that time,  I will cut off the rear section, fabricate the tubs, then a new rear frame section, with a 4 link suspension and coil over springs.  I haven't decided on the rear, either a 12 bolt or a 9" Ford.  Using a 9" Ford would allow me to pickup a pumpkins from the NASCAR guys for a few hundred $$.  Then I'll go to work on the front suspension.  I'm watching Copart for the donor Escalade, but if anyone knows about a totaled 2006 or up Escalade for sale, drop me a line.  My email is pecarman@yahoo.com   I'll take some photos and post them when I get a chance.  I hope to have a clean, sleek, sleeper when I finish.   Also I could figure how to reply to each response, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

On 9/19/2020 at 8:03 PM, Lou said:

Good idea with the cinder blocks and 4x4's. I did the same with my last Chevelle.

Did you modify the "A" chassis??  I'm looking at A-Arms and spindle on the front with coilovers and coilovers on a 4 link rear