Disappointing Day

Jim,

I have not given up on this.  I am considering offering more than I want to.  I am waiting to hear back from her on the Monte and waiting to hear what the appraiser says on the Chevelle Malibu and Trans-Am because I do know of a couple members here that may be interested in them.  Disappointed, yes, giving up, NO

rob

• Like 5

In all honesty... this car needs to be restored from what you are saying. Atleast a light restoration to freshen up everything.

Definitely to much... they will quickly find that out. I would hoped the friendship would have meant something...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, what do you think the car is worth since you have seen it firsthand?  I've learned long ago that something is ONLY worth what a willing buyer that has $$$$ is willing to pay.  You have nothing to lose by offering the widow what you are willing to pay.  You can explain that that is all that you can afford and that you really want the car and are NOT buying it merely to later later flip it to make money.  She may respond to your honesty and good intentions and just might make a deal.  Just my 2 cents.

John, yes I have upped my offer to her based upon what I feel the car is worth and even offering more than I feel it is worth.  I am basing what I feel it is worth from discussing this car with people I trust input.  She also knows I am not trying to flip it.  I told her that when I am gone that Monte and my current Monte would be passed on to my sons..

I will be talking with her again soon.

rob

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 7:57 AM, 714024SPEED said:

2020 has been a crazy year ,so I think you will end up with the car.

Kevin, I wish you were right.  

I decided this is my dream car and I was going to pull out all of the stops.  I decided I would sell my car and use the proceeds from that and add what I need to make this car mine.  I have never had a desire for a 454SS Monte and will never understand why Chevrolet never made the 4-speed available as an option for the SS Monte, it just does not make any sense.  

What makes the 402 4-speed in a 70 or 71 Monte more desireable to me than a SS454 is it being a big block Monte with a 4-speed and the fact that they are so rare.  With this in mind that is why I decided to sell my 70 Two-Tone and go after my dream car.  Where I had left it with the widow is that I was interested and I had not heard anything else from her so I wanted to let her know my plans to sell mine to own her husbands car.

I sent her an email letting her know my plans and to secure a very reasonable (More than it was worth) offer.  I heard back from her the next day that she sold the car last week.  As it turns out she sold it to a dealer.  I  don't blame her but do wish she would have contacted me.  I think the thing that upsets me the most is the guy is a dealer. 

Her husband and I were car buddy friends, we met through our Monte's.  After I had known him a number of years he came to me and told me he had pancreatic cancer and wanted to sell his cars so his wife would not have to deal with that after he was gone. He knew I wanted the Monte and he wanted me to buy it.  At the time I did not have the money to buy it so I told him I would try to help him sell what I could. I sent him several different people who were very interested in the Monte but they reported back to me that he refused to sell it to them.  When I asked him about this he said "I want you to buy it".  As it turned out later they found he did not have cancer.  All of these years he let me know when he is ready to sell the Monte I was the one he wanted to sell it to because he knew I would take care of it like he felt he should be cared for.

Like I say, I don't blame her for selling it to a dealer but I do know it is not what her husband would have wanted but if he did not relay that information to her that is not her fault.  Oh well, I guess that is all water under the bridge or should I say it is my dream Monte on a trailer riding off into the sunset.  She has now given my contact information to the dealer but based upon what I figure he paid for it and him being a dealer I know he will want to turn a pretty profit on the car which would more than likely put it out of a reasonable reach.

I think this is now Case Closed.

rob

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2020 at 4:16 PM, Rob Peters said:

Many here know my dream car would be a 1970 or 1971 Monte 402 4-Speed.  Nothing against those who would prefer an SS454 but I just can’t understand why Chevrolet didn’t produce a Monte SS with a manual transmission so my preference would be a 402 4-Speed over an SS454. 

A number of years ago I met a guy who had one.  Almost immediately we became Car Guy Friends.   I always told him that if he ever decided to sell that car to please let me know.  A few years later he called me and said he had cancer and needed to sell all of his cars so his wife would not have to deal with selling them after he is gone.  He asked me to help him sell them.  At the time I did not have enough money to purchase the 71 402 4-Speed but I was able to hook him up with someone to purchase one of his Chevelle's and I sent him 3 people who were interested in the Monte.  Two of those three people called me and told me that he would not sell him the 402 4-speed.  When I called him, he said he didn't want to sell it to them because he knew I wanted it and would hold onto it a little longer.

A year later I ran into him at a cruise and he had his Monte there.  I told him at the time I was ready to buy the Monte if he still wanted to sell it.  He told me that it turned out he did not have cancer but knew I was still interested in his car and I would be the first person he would call if he decided to sell it.  Time passed and I didn’t run into him at cruises and suspected things had gone bad for him and pretty much gave up on seeing the 402 4-Speed ever again

A couple years after I retired in 2013 I took a part time job at Home Depot to stay active and one day he came into the store and we renewed our friendship and he told me he still had the Monte.  The last time I saw him he did not look good at all.  He told me that he had been diagnosed with mouth cancer but they felt they were going to be able to get him through the treatments.

Fast Forward to this past week.  I got an email from his wife that he had gone in to the hospital for a heart valve replacement and while in the recovery room he had a heart attack passed away a week later in the ICU.  She said Brian had mentioned me often and trusted me and she needed to sell his 4 remaining cars and asked if I could help her assess a value on them.  Some of our members here know the rest of this story because I contacted a number of people from the club to see if between me researching the values of his cars on line and our members input I was able to get a rough value for his 4 cars. 

The 4 cars are:

- 71 350 3-speed on the floor bucket seats and console Chevelle Convertible 43,000 miles,

- 1980 350 4-Speed El Camino,

- 1977 400 engine and 4-speed Pontiac Trans Am 54,000 miles,

- 1971 402 4-Speed Monte Carlo 65,000k miles

Thanks to all who gave me information I would be able to provide to his widow.  Last night our granddaughter and I went to look at the cars in person so I could look them over and give her an honest value as best I could.

His widow told me she had already gotten an appraisal from a guy who is a dealer and he was giving her an offer to buy all 4 of the cars but his appraisal was considerable amount below her husbands estimated value of the cars.  I told her to please not tell me what he was offering for each of the cars until I could look at them.  The reason, I told her, that I did not want to be influenced by his appraisal and I wanted to show her the values I had come up with from my research on the 4 vehicles prior to her telling me the appraiser’s value.

As it turned out the appraiser’s values on 3 of the 4 cars was very low but the one car the appraisers value was way too high on was the 71 Monte 402 4-speed..  This is where my disappointed day came into play. As I gave her the approximate value on each of the other 3 cars first I was glad to hear what he was offering for each of the other cars was too low it was my hope that his offer on the Monte was below what it was worth so I figured I would be able to buy it myself

I was very upfront with her on each of the cars, including the Monte and I told her that while I would love to own the Monte, not only because it is my “Dream Car” but also because it was a her husbands favorite of the 4 cars, but I told her that with the appraiser being $10,000 to $12,000 over the estimated value of the car that there was no way I could come up with that kind of money for the Monte.  I did tell her that if the deal with the other guy would fall through that she should please call me. 

I would love to own the car but I could never compete with a millionaire collector/dealer willing to over pay for the car by that much.   Thanks for listening/reading my disappointing day post.

rob

Hey Rob there is a 70 402 4 speed on eBay! https://www.ebay.com/itm/233974129789?hash=item3679f1e47d%3Ag%3AGM4AAOSw1QNgcqzE&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500