Body tag info.

Lou

Body tag from 70 built at Flint Assembly has "19 19" for upper and lower body color, but my car has a black vinyl top. Is this common for a body tag to not have the presence of a vinyl top reflected in the tag or could someone have added the top after-market?

19-19 is indicating it left the factory as a Tuxedo Black body and Tuxedo Black painted roof.  As stated above, not a factory vinyl roof.  Let's see some pictures.

rob

Engine still on the stand in the garage. It's got a 307/TH350 right now. This will be a driving restoration. Not a good candidate for frame off. But I will wipe down the underbody and frame. Car hasn't seen winter for the better part of 50 years, if at all.

9 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

19-19 is indicating it left the factory as a Tuxedo Black body and Tuxedo Black painted roof.  As stated above, not a factory vinyl roof.  Let's see some pictures.

rob

Another clue. Man I have my work cut out for me under the vinyl. The sail seam has no lead. Looks like bondo. Front and rear window channels look good, thank God!

Man, I don't get kids today. I bought my son a car cover and a vinyl conditioning kit and this is the end result:

IMG_20200920_010607613.jpg

IMG_20200920_010632649.jpg

It has the factory style top trim but according to your tag it did not have a vinyl top. 19 19 suggests it was a black car with black painted top. If it had black vinyl top the paint code would be 19 A.

Yeah, that's why I posted this info and question because I always wondered about that. Whoever installed the top made it look like a factory install.

I work at GM Parma Metal Center and I can hear the supervisor in my ear 50 years ago:

"If the tag says black upper and lower just leave it alone. A blind man can see it has a vinyl top. We need this car out the door so ship it!"

The vinyl break molding clip locations look to have holes. Were the clips riveted on?

The factory clips slid onto studs that were welded to the roof.

A dealership adding a vinyl top might attach the needed clips with rivets.IMG_20200920_010607613.jpg.d8b92a528a8ce0010cfb5528cfc6e33c.thumb.jpg.c9067b2c84d85ff06a76a7e28bc2f54f.jpg

The lower sails where they meet with top of quarter panel had screws holding the clips. All other clips were/are studded; top of windows, behind quarter windows, and deck filler panel. Top was not full halo and no lead used in quarter to roof seams.

Luckily, I have good, solid steel around the whole perimeter of roof so a roof skin can be utilized as a patch and not a full roof replacement. New vinyl top will be going back on so I want pics and record of what was done for any future owners.

IMG_20200920_151332864.jpg

Ya know, my first 69 Chevelle ($800) was pulled out of a front yard where it had been for years and when I removed the vinyl top I didn't have anything like this:

IMG_20200919_020458320.jpg

• 3 weeks later...