bent rear bumper

sendo

On 11/26/2018 at 6:06 AM, MCfan said:

Congratulations, Sendo!  I bought my '70 SS the same way ... only from photos and telephone conversations with the seller.  I jumped on it within an hour or two of it appearing on our site but, even so, I was second in line to a local buyer.  I went ahead and made an offer and won by only $500.  There may be a number of little things you'll want to correct/change, but that's the fun of acquiring a pre-owned classic - making it your own.  You may even have a twinge of buyer's remorse when you actually see the car, but it sure looks like a reasonably solid survivor in the photos. 

I was really disappointed in how absolutely filthy (primarily dirt and road grime) my SS was when I picked it up.  The engine compartment, interior and trunk had all been neglected but a lot of elbow grease and shop rags later that was resolved.  I see your rear bumper needs to be realigned just like mine did.  I went ahead and refurbished the rear bumper and brackets and may have a project photo journal on Photo Bucket if you're interested. 

Enjoy your new ride ... nothing like finally scratching the "SS itch"!  😄

P6100073.JPG

P6100068.JPG

P6100071.JPG

P6100070.JPG

P7160657.JPG

P7160658.JPG

P7160661.JPG

P7170665.JPG

Sendo,

The rear bumper on my SS was not bent but the brackets needed realignment with the frame.  I removed the bumper (as you also have done) and then removed the brackets so I could clean and re-paint them.  I sprayed the back side of the bumper with Bumper Chrome by Plastikote and sprayed the brackets with Rustoleum semi-gloss black.  I inspected the brackets for bends but found none.

When I remounted the bumper to the frame, I aligned it the way I wanted and it bolted right up. At that time my rear bumper did not have bumper guards (I mounted a pair several years later) so maybe the bumper was pushed out of alignment when someone tried to push the Monte from the rear.  I guessing you can remount your bumper in the correct position.  You may need to have someone hold it in place while you tighten the bolts.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Like Steve mentioned above, I've adjusted minor misalignment's at the corners by pulling on it with the bumper attached. The '72 has a little different corner brace than the one you seem to have, so loosening the corner bolt a bit may help. On mine, I just pulled and it went where I wanted.

• Like 1