OPGI roof panel.

Lou

I haven't sand blasted yet, but the tried and true screw driver/hammer test shows window channels are solid as well as the deck filler.

I was on here before I became a member and saw Belden link and they are now in my bookmarks. Thank you.

Ok, want to run this roof skin plan by the experienced. This is not going to be a show car. A new vinyl top will be installed and all my perimeter metal is solid, including window channels. Finished foundational metal will get three coats of epoxy primer, skin also. Image 1 is the diagram, image 2 is the product used.

IMG_20200921_182335201.jpg

IMG_20200921_182910268.jpg

Lou I replaced the roof skin on my 71 a couple of years ago. Beware the roof skin they sell is for a Chevelle that will need to be modified to fit the Monte.The Chevelle roof skins rear quarter to roof seam is lower than the Monte, you will need to cut the extra metal off to make it fit. I used a similar 3M panel epoxy at the drip rail seams to attach the new roof skin. I welded the front and rear window channels, front pillars and rear quarter seams.  Here are a couple of pictures of the rear seam modification you will need to make. 

DDD2BBCA-7759-4EE0-882C-3C01CE24828A.jpeg

038885D9-BB74-42DC-A49C-C385DDD5FCFE.jpeg

Luckily, I'll be cutting a lot more of the new skin as my window channels are near perfect. Not going to mess with them. 'If it ain't broke..." And I'm able to not mess with the trim studs so that's a plus.

The vinyl top was put on aftermarket and whatever sealant they used protected the window channels. What a pain to remove though.

Too bad they didn't put it on the whole roof under the vinyl.

Sure would like to know what happened/how they installed the top. What did they do? The only thing I can come up with is that whatever adhesive they used reacted with the paint??? And years of no maintenance added to the issue.

Thanks for the pics. That's exactly why I'm not doing any cutting until I have the new skin. So I can set it up on the roof, draw an outline and then cut old roof off and use it as a template to get the new skin close. A lot of fitting.

New vinyl will go on next spring. Unless I don't need to do it in the sun??? Don't know how it's done today....

16 minutes ago, Jared Richey said:

please visit my YouTube channel. I have several videos on this topic

Jared1970Monte 

On YouTube 

Hi Jared, Im a subscriber to your channel. You do good work! Your videos are going to be very helpful.

Man! Is it normal to bury the trim clips with window sealant? I get that they don't want water to get in there but is it necessary to fill all the way flush with the windshield?

IMG_20200924_190248613.jpg

On 9/21/2020 at 11:16 PM, Rancid87 said:

I replaced the roof skin on mine. Overall, a pretty easy job. You'll have to make a couple small filler pieces in the back but it didn't take very long to do it.

Ha, I've got all winter up here in northern Ohio......