What's It Worth?

FrankOC

I have a 1970 350/300hp with 35k original miles in a 70 I bought from a member here.   I'm making some changes and will sell the engine.   I'm hoping you might be able to give me an idea of what the engine is worth.   It's still in the car, running, and will stay there until sold.

thanks for any insight.

Frank

Hey Frank,

Here are just some of my thoughts when I try to sell something or buy something.

- Pictures always help and answer 1,000 questions.  Post lots of pictures.
- Include as much detail as possible.  How long have you owned the car?  Was the oil changed regularly?  Does it need anything?  Any leaks?
- List in detail what is included in the sale.  Carb, exhaust manifolds, flex plate, alternator, starter, ps pump, fan, fuel pump, plugs/wires, brackets, etc.

All of these things will help come up with a fair price.  I have owner a few 70s with that engine combo and it is a nice engine.  It all comes down to what someone is looking for.

Good luck!!
Mike

Frank I see you live in E. Sandwich, my sister lives just of the Service Rd by exit 4 off Rt6. I live in Holbrook and visit my sister often but have not brought the  my Monte there since I restored it. My sister and brother in-law keep asking when I will bring it by, probably will before the end of the season. FYI there is a pretty good car cruise Sunday morning at the Plymouth waterfront which I believe will run through October. I brought my Monte there two weeks ago. Great turn out. As for the motor’s worth, I would look at craigslist adds  for similar motors to see what the value is.

20 hours ago, Mike Brichta said:

Hey Frank,

Here are just some of my thoughts when I try to sell something or buy something.

- Pictures always help and answer 1,000 questions.  Post lots of pictures.
- Include as much detail as possible.  How long have you owned the car?  Was the oil changed regularly?  Does it need anything?  Any leaks?
- List in detail what is included in the sale.  Carb, exhaust manifolds, flex plate, alternator, starter, ps pump, fan, fuel pump, plugs/wires, brackets, etc.

All of these things will help come up with a fair price.  I have owner a few 70s with that engine combo and it is a nice engine.  It all comes down to what someone is looking for.

Good luck!!
Mike

Thanks Mike, good advice

12 hours ago, Gush's monte said:

Frank I see you live in E. Sandwich, my sister lives just of the Service Rd by exit 4 off Rt6. I live in Holbrook and visit my sister often but have not brought the  my Monte there since I restored it. My sister and brother in-law keep asking when I will bring it by, probably will before the end of the season. FYI there is a pretty good car cruise Sunday morning at the Plymouth waterfront which I believe will run through October. I brought my Monte there two weeks ago. Great turn out. As for the motor’s worth, I would look at craigslist adds  for similar motors to see what the value is.

John,  I'm not far from your sisters.  Exit 4, take a left towards towards 6A.   I'll look up the Plymouth cruise, maybe take a ride Sunday morning. 

9 hours ago, Rancid87 said:

I'd pay core value for something like that. Maybe $4-500 tops.

Steve,  I thought so too but when I posted it for $1,000 I was inundated by interested buyers literally in minutes which tells me I was under-priced.  I have more homework to do.

I would NEVER destroy a historical peice of history like that. Please reconsider. Pull the original powertrain and set it aside. My opinion. These cars are beyond classics now.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:06 PM, Lou said:

I would NEVER destroy a historical peice of history like that. Please reconsider. Pull the original powertrain and set it aside. My opinion. These cars are beyond classics now.

While I respect your right to an opinion, I don’t consider my changes to this car a destruction of a historical piece.  Like yours though,  that is my opinion so let’s agree to disagree.  

Thanks to all that have replied here and to my other posts.  I’ve done quite a bit of restorative work to the car, ( a lot for a guy that does not do this for a living), and appreciate this communities assistance.  

If you have space, I’d keep it. Small blocks are cheap these days as everyone is yanking them for LS stuff and putting their old stuff up for sale. Unless the buyer is looking for your exact engine, I don’t think you’d get much for it. JMO

• Like 1