New Guy from BC

Mike C

Started reassembly of body parts in preparation for a Body shop to give me an idea of what a paint job is going to cost. Advice from them was that the front fenders and hood would require extensive work and if possible get some after market new ones instead.  So if replacement fenders and hood were installed and they would only be doing the painting and nothing more, the cost was going to run north of 9K.  This being the case and the car was intended for daily driving in the summer, knowing that stone chips will happen. We decided to cowboy up our air compressor, do the blocking and painting ourselves and see how it turn out.. 

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpeg

• Like 4

I did mine myself in my garage at home came out ok. I'm no body guy or painter but it's a out as 15 footer. Good luck with it, just take your time and you'll be fine. Maybe a couple extra coats of clear so you can wet sand the mistakes out but not all at once (that causes runs) ask me how I know lol.

Very nice!

Be careful with the new fenders. First of all they still aren't shipping those fenders and I suspect it will be a long time before that happens. Secondly it has been noted that the quality of fenders for other cars by that manufacturer is not very good and require a lot of work to get them to fit correctly. Some say fixing an original one would likely cost less than making the reproductions fit.

22 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I did mine myself in my garage at home came out ok. I'm no body guy or painter but it's a out as 15 footer. Good luck with it, just take your time and you'll be fine. Maybe a couple extra coats of clear so you can wet sand the mistakes out but not all at once (that causes runs) ask me how I know lol.

Hey, thanks for the helpful info.

21 hours ago, Canuck said:

Very nice!

Be careful with the new fenders. First of all they still aren't shipping those fenders and I suspect it will be a long time before that happens. Secondly it has been noted that the quality of fenders for other cars by that manufacturer is not very good and require a lot of work to get them to fit correctly. Some say fixing an original one would likely cost less than making the reproductions fit.

Yeah it's a step by step process for sure.  We'll be taking our time with it. I've kept some of the old sheet metal , ( trunk lid, hood ) for us to test our blocking, preping and painting techniques.  

• 6 months later...

Waited all summer (2021) for the border to open. Fenders and hood had been on BO since Dec 2020. Still waiting for them. Lost a complete summer on the project. So we decided to use the old fenders and try repairing them as best we could. Sand blocked the body after, the results were pretty good. Then I ordered Eastwood Gray Epoxy Direct to Metal primer sealer along with about 4.5k USD in trim, interior and other parts to be shipped to Eureka Montana.  Then waited for the US to open its land border for non-essential crossing. The stuff would be there and ready for pickup. Well after they announced another extension to September 21. I couldn't wait anymore, it was starting to be to cold to paint. So I gave it a try, Border Services Officer was understanding of my plight and let me in to get my parts. We managed to get 2 coats of primer on to protect the metal until next spring. 

20210928_151113.jpg

20210928_151138.jpg

20210928_151207.jpg

20210928_161019.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good! The border closure and other restrictions haven’t been fun to deal with this year. I shipped some parts into BC this year due to the border closure and the extra costs were brutal.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Moving along with reassembly.  Bought a wiring harness kit from Painless Performance, also upgrading to 3 point retractable seat belts. Got inner fenderwells  from OPGI . Driver side needed a slight cut/modification, passenger side was ok. Installed a vacuum pump for the power brake booster. After testing the wiring, we'll start reinstalling the glass so that we can proceed with sanding/buffing and polishing the paint.

I've tried uploading photos but I keep getting an error/failure message. has anyone else been having this problem lately?

Mike

• Like 2

Wow! I can't believe I missed this build. Awesome job, all in your backyard. Looks great, love the wheels, old school . can't wait to see you driving it. What was done to the 350? Going to be one sweet '70 Monte!

Edited by 420ponies
Added content

On 6/25/2022 at 3:37 PM, Mike C said:

I've tried uploading photos but I keep getting an error/failure message. has anyone else been having this problem lately?

Yes. I've had to open the pictures in 'Paint' and resize them 50% to get them to load. Naturally, you could use any photo editing program to do the same thing, but it was easy for me to use that one.

I haven't tried using a smaller resolution setting on the camera yet, but would rather the originals to be a better quality anyways, so probably won't do that anyways (maybe as a test though, just to see what the limits are).

• Like 1

If your getting error code -200 (which I was getting earlier today) Joe is right, you may have to resize them. I was trying to load 4.2MB photos from my phone. I resized them to 1920X1920 (they went down to 1.2MB) and loaded fine. 

Test2.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm looking into photo size settings. The settings I see should not be restricting the size of photos at all but perhaps there is another setting somewhere else affecting this.

6 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I'm looking into photo size settings. The settings I see should not be restricting the size of photos at all but perhaps there is another setting somewhere else affecting this.

Thanks Aaron.

It seems to have happened overnight (weeks ago). I posted pictures in my build thread, one day, next day I started getting errors. Nothing had changed with my camera settings, but resizing the pics allowed them to load. Some pics were the same or smaller sized than prior ones that loaded fine.

Not to derail another thread but I can load, get the error, back out completely ( which takes forever, after the server errors) and start over then they will load fine. Something happened that is affecting the whole site, I even got a new phone thinking that was the problem. 

It is a server issue rather than the forum. Ian is looking into it for us. Once this is all straightened out I'll delete these photo error posts from this thread.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  Only issue we had with the wiring was the windshield wiper switch.  I had crossed the wires between the pump and high speed side. Thanks to internet problem was resolved.  My son has started the cutting and buffing/polishing the paint  Holly s---, what a difference. 20220617_162330.thumb.jpg.75d33ed5602fda3be8d2418de9340b39.jpg

• Like 1