Aftermarket vinyl top.

Lou

Have a 70 that will be receiving a new vinyl top. Car most likey came from factory without a vinyl top and was installed aftermarket.

Existing top runs from front to rear window channels and is halo on the side just above the drip rail.

Do after market tops contain enough material to cover complete roof from channel to channel and drip rail to drip rail?

Yes aftermarkets do have enough material. The vinyl top molding factory has the 1 inch gap between the vinyl top molding and the drip rails also down the the window and along the quarter. If you have welded studs it’s most likely factory. There are several pics of montes on here to show how the molding runs. I’d copy one for you but I don’t want to pirate any pics

The thing is that my cars body tag has "19 19" for the color code and the front and rear were 'in' the window channels but not over the trim clip studs. This is weird. Almost like one part of the assembly line read 'this is a vinyl top car' but another part didn't get that memo.

Or it was a poorly attached dealer/aftermarket job made to work.

?????

Oh well, just so I have extra material to actually utilize ALL the studs.

Thanks.

Lou, generally the factory tops are poorly painted on the roof, some are literally just primer.  Non hat cars get better paint and that's why if the paint lasts, the roof skin survives. Yours looks like it was added very early in life.