Trunk Lid

Does yours sound tinny when you close it? 

I've had several Monte Carlos ranging in years from 1970 - 2001 and am surprised how tinny my current (71) trunk lid sounds when I close it. My very first Monte was a '73 and everything on that car seemed solid and opened/close with authority. I bought this car about 3 months ago and it doesn't seem as solid as my previous 1st and 2nd gen Montes. Granted it's been 40 years since my first Monte but.....

Am I the victim of false memories or do I have a cruddy aftermarket lid? 

Crummy aftermarket lid. Actually they are very good, for fit and finish.

For some reason all the Montes we have had, the trunk lid has a solid thud as compared to the Chevelle's we and friends have had. 

That being said, MAYBE the Monte Carlo had a little more seam sealer like stuff added to the inside of the trunk lid, between the inner and outer skins. Before or during assembly. That's a big maybe. 

• Like 1

I put that door and window sealer in my lid when I redid the car in 2013. Made a heck of a big difference. I did not put much n just enough where it does not show unless you look real hard. Auto body supply stores have stuff similar to what the factory used but at $50 a tube for the SEM product I opted for the cheaper route

If you end up determining you have a lesser quality repro lid that you want to replace, AMD makes a real heavy gauge and quality repro deck lid.  I used it on my car and Steve (monteman71) was pretty impressed with the quality.  He is not one easily impressed.

Dan