My 71 SS restoration project

As some are aware I bought car Saturday before Memorial Day 2020. Some pics are repeat but are necessary. Here we go 

as I bought it in Illinois 

I guess I need to post pictures more often. Takes to long to load

12E46874-7643-43A7-B4B2-C0A84386C672.jpeg

A4C40A4A-06C0-4061-B388-E343291A5C96.jpeg

5D46050E-54FC-4B99-BE81-31ACAD555F92.jpeg

I have been buying parts as I can. I was originally going to redo the dash and put it back in the car but that never happened.a little before and after of the cluster. The dash and pad were in great shape just faded. So a quick repaint was needed 

5C9885A4-C071-43E1-948B-794F18E5B072.jpeg

6F338786-DC2D-4A70-89C9-8943935FB338.jpeg

• Like 1

The vinyl and the plastic part of the dash is really hard to get a great match because of the difference in the material they are made from. We have a 2019 Equinox and the bumpers are close to the rest of the car but not a perfect match  although we can match the blues better than what is shown. The pad color needs to be tinted to match. The spectrograph usually gets it close but someone who knows how to tint paint needs to finish the match up.

Well I thought I had a picture of the finished dash but apparently not. So we move on to the gutted interior. In the meantime I bought a tilt column shift steering column rebuilt that and bought the sleeve to rid myself of the shifter knob. Looks great with my nk4 wheel I purchased (of the group)

3456861A-0419-4C02-857E-D882E4D988B7.jpeg

8DFCB18D-565B-4AA4-A365-A3C89962152E.jpeg

So it fit. Had to take off the basement doors. Karen said it still will be close might want to take off the center caps. I say it will be fine. I need a new center cap. Lesson to all listen to your woman!!!!!!

A63F0238-9A0E-40A8-B4AE-2CD96B6BB516.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

And as of today this is how it sets. Not one broken bolt. Every brake line and hose came apart without twisting and I used nothing but hand tools. No air tools at all. I’ll keep you posted on progress. But now it’s about cleaning everything and figuring out what to buy next. I have no idea how I ended up it the new members section. I meant to do general. Sorry 

E4F71F7D-BD66-492B-B092-DE23379A418C.jpeg

51ABC58F-0A26-48F6-8778-98073DFC7E53.jpeg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Leghome said:

The vinyl and the plastic part of the dash is really hard to get a great match because of the difference in the material they are made from. We have a 2019 Equinox and the bumpers are close to the rest of the car but not a perfect match  although we can match the blues better than what is shown. The pad color needs to be tinted to match. The spectrograph usually gets it close but someone who knows how to tint paint needs to finish the match up.

I knew that going in but I had new paint mixed and this is much better 

6D88E803-89D0-4D23-B910-C190D4A9B64F.jpeg

• Like 2

I remember those days.  Scary.  LOL.  6 years of collecting parts needed and waiting in line, 6 years of evenings with a member here to finish her.  Worth it in the end, but midway we were saying to ourselves "we are to old for this $#!T"  LOL.  Hopefully, you are younger than we were.  If not, know that it will all be worth it in the end.

I gotta say.  You have a much better set up than the majority of us.  Mine was done in a double garage with a wall between them with a door.  Very tight,

Good luck and keep the pics comin'

Dan    

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dans '70 Z20 said:

I remember those days.  Scary.  LOL.  6 years of collecting parts needed and waiting in line, 6 years of evenings with a member here to finish her.  Worth it in the end, but midway we were saying to ourselves "we are to old for this $#!T"  LOL.  Hopefully, you are younger than we were.  If not, know that it will all be worth it in the end.

I gotta say.  You have a much better set up than the majority of us.  Mine was done in a double garage with a wall between them with a door.  Very tight,

Good luck and keep the pics comin'

Dan    

You do realize that’s my basement. Ha ha   I go 3 feet all the way around to work. The advantage I have is all my tools are also in the basement. My three car garage has 3 1/2 other cars and one is Karen’s. And if I don’t let her park in the garage for winter I might be sleeping in the garage. 😝

Just now, Dtret said:

You do realize that’s my basement. Ha ha   I go 3 feet all the way around to work. The advantage I have is all my tools are also in the basement. My three car garage has 3 1/2 other cars and one is Karen’s. And if I don’t let her park in the garage for winter I might be sleeping in the garage. 😝

O and by the way I’m 51. So time is not my friend. Of course neither are finances for this project. Karen want new windows in the house. So I can’t win

• 3 weeks later...

Some more tear down pics. Not too happy with what I found in the engine but all else looked great. I’ve decided that I don’t like bars leak. Most of the coolant passages are half clogged 

F6C130CA-D297-4216-8AE8-96617D4D9195.jpeg

CA2B934C-B7A5-41AF-819D-AC537D7C4DA3.jpeg

99F3A774-B9A5-4831-AE67-9F1AA35224C6.jpeg

• Like 1

Getting original parts can be a lot of work. Since I’m not loaded and don’t have the parts “in stock “(JK). This is what some of us poor people have to do to get them. Do second one first

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Getting original parts can be a lot of work. Since I’m not loaded and don’t have the parts “in stock “(JK). This is what some of us poor people have to do to get them 

Sorry they loaded backwards