My 71 SS restoration project

2 hours ago, Rancid87 said:

These projects are an accumulation of small victories. Looks like you're winning! Good job!

Thanks. Every month I pay off the credit card and that tells me I’m winning the battle. But I know it will at go another month and another and another and...  

By the way, the “wife “ isn’t real happy that I turned an extra room into a “clean “ parts storage room. But the post of the 82000 dollar sale of a 71 SS. Gives her hope when I kick the bucket. I tell her that it will be worth it when I’m gone. Lol 😂 

1 hour ago, Grant MacPherson said:

Love the filter picture, I mentioned that sale to my wife too, I got an eye roll! The restoration is looking good.

I just tell her its for her future. I get the eye roll too. 

17 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Like Steve said, it's the little victories that make for good days. 🙂

I’ll be happy when I can do things to the car that I want to and not have to. Like disc brakes. 👍

20 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I’ll be happy when I can do things to the car that I want to and not have to. Like disc brakes. 👍

Be careful what you wish for, lol.

My saga isn't drama free in that story either. I have to wait 'til I go back to work in a couple more days to mill down one of the rear disc mounting brackets. Looks like the flange on my rear axle tube is welded .081" off, making for bad alignment on the caliper to rotor alignment. Probably never an issue with drum brakes, but shimming won't help here, I have to go the other way and remove material. It's always something...

34 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Be careful what you wish for, lol.

My saga isn't drama free in that story either. I have to wait 'til I go back to work in a couple more days to mill down one of the rear disc mounting brackets. Looks like the flange on my rear axle tube is welded .081" off, making for bad alignment on the caliper to rotor alignment. Probably never an issue with drum brakes, but shimming won't help here, I have to go the other way and remove material. It's always something...

That sux. Can you use the flange gasket as a pattern and make a tapered shim to bring the “ in” side out to match the other side?

35 minutes ago, Dtret said:

That sux. Can you use the flange gasket as a pattern and make a tapered shim to bring the “ in” side out to match the other side?

I could, but it would be a lot easier just to mill .081" off the one caliper mounting bracket. A flat pass on the mill vs. making an entire spacer. That, plus I would have to pull the axle out again (everything is already buttoned up back there). I called Baer this morning, they gave their blessing to the mod. They said to send it to them and they'd do it free (just shipping to them), but told them I can handle it here. 

Sucks about the dash pad too. Seems like that black cloud follows both of us, lol.

Sorry to hear about the mishap with the dashpad.  Unfortunately I have heard the reproduction dash pads don't fit very well.  Hope you can either repair or find a real nice used one.

rob

Off topic but still part of the restoration process. This what I do for work. And this is what I picked up today. R89 dated code 71.  It’s junk and the case is cracked but it has all the caps and the Delco eye in one of the caps. The top is perfect and so is the R89 sticker on the top. Gut,fix the cases and put a battery in it 

C07BFA6D-397A-46CB-AE97-5FB4C0631C5C.jpeg

F92E388B-F3C3-4E54-841D-367AA8CC3147.jpeg

• Like 3