My 71 SS restoration project

Looks great Dennis! Painful as it is to wait for stuff, it'll be worth it in the end. Any thoughts about pulling the engine from its present location and finding another shop? Almost reminiscent of my initial chrome plater, 9 months waiting with NO finish date projected, just lots of false promises.

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Looks great Dennis! Painful as it is to wait for stuff, it'll be worth it in the end. Any thoughts about pulling the engine from its present location and finding another shop? Almost reminiscent of my initial chrome plater, 9 months waiting with NO finish date projected, just lots of false promises.

He told me at the start 4/6 months and I approved it. April 9th it will be 5 months. So has has time I’m just impatient at this point. I actually didn’t think I would be this far along 5 months ago. Seats are going to the Upolstry shop tomorrow if the material shows up today. Than the interior is 95 percent done. Next step the body work. Remember I am doing this all backwards. The body should have been done already so I could be assembling. O well 

In that case, you do have some time then. If the motor was the end of the line though, I'd be getting real antsy. Nice work as always.

On 3/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, Dtret said:

Got the exhaust today. You talk about nice packing job. It dang near filled up a 55 gallon trash can with packing material. They put a cool Gardner drinking glass in the box too. I put it on but of course it is not set properly but you get the idea. A motor would sure help with alignment. Lol 😂 (again venting)

8CB59BEF-E70C-49AF-B8C9-1ED844585FD0.jpeg

5225439E-D54D-495D-A229-36260584E7F1.jpeg

E9B82B57-721F-466F-B496-9695D069E2A5.jpeg

2663286D-723C-4EDA-9482-D186643A8594.jpeg

8B2ED214-1622-4640-9B8C-C90C62E369F0.jpeg

B7019355-5674-40D0-9604-D5BFFF338C93.jpeg

5597928D-1D82-49FA-8DA5-29EAB42A978B.jpeg

Dennis, how long did you have to wait to get your exhaust?  Eric told me 2 months. I ordered mine a month ago.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, Dtret said:

My Gardner exhaust should be here tomorrow. That’s all I got for updates. But since I don’t have any engine what good is it (venting). And who knew Upolstry material was so dang(not what I wanted to type)expensive. 159/yd for cloth(6yards) and 79/yd for vinyl (4 yards) holy crap 💩. This car is killing me, well breaking me anyway. 

Dennis, I’ve been told by sms that 5 yards would work for buckets and rear bench. Is your’s buckets and bench? I see yours is buckets. 6 yards or 5?

8 hours ago, 70white402 said:

Dennis, how long did you have to wait to get your exhaust?  Eric told me 2 months. I ordered mine a month ago.

Seven weeks. He told me 8 also. 

8 hours ago, 70white402 said:

Dennis, I’ve been told by sms that 5 yards would work for buckets and rear bench. Is your’s buckets and bench? I see yours is buckets. 6 yards or 5?

My Upolstry guy said I need 4 yards for buckets and rear seat. I ordered two extra yards incase I eventually do the bench. I wanted all the material from the same run. 

Next up. Interior firewall/dash area. A lot of surface rust. If anyone has any ideas on cleaning it up let me know. I prefer no chemicals because it is not real easy to rinse out. 

4F6F40C3-294E-4A50-90E1-6B3AD7480477.jpeg

0391547C-9ED6-4A5E-A52A-0AEB2A6F03A7.jpeg

15FDC781-5B20-44C4-A359-B6AFAA435F90.jpeg

B661374B-277B-4067-AAD7-A5AF5BB936E5.jpeg

C318CCDF-E860-45D1-A2C6-1A92B5D491E3.jpeg

It's a bit messy, but I used an angle grinder with a couple of different type wire wheels. I used a shop vac sometimes to help suck the dust up while grinding, seemed to work OK. Not sure how nice you want that to be, but I brushed gray POR-15 on that after to encapsulate the metal and stop any further action.

My thought was, I don't want to get sand everywhere, chemical as you said wasn't a real good option & the POR15 has a proven record of working good in that exact situation. It's all be buried once the interior is installed, so it doesn't keep me awake at night.

Since I had the vents out on both kick panels as you do, I cleaned that out real good down there, including vacuuming/blowing out the rocker panel and painted POR15 inside that area as well. For the rocker itself, Eastwood has a spray product with a long wand that coats the inside of that rocker area real good. I think I may have used 2 or 3 cans of that stuff. I also did the A-pillar while I was there.

I was researching cavity wax initially, and bought a few different kinds, but they just weren't what I wanted, too thin and runny. 3M used to have one that dried like a nice heavy wax, but that got 'replaced' with a 'better' product, that I just didn't like, too thin.

It's a suck job, no matter how you look at it though.

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

It's a bit messy, but I used an angle grinder with a couple of different type wire wheels. I used a shop vac sometimes to help suck the dust up while grinding, seemed to work OK. Not sure how nice you want that to be, but I brushed gray POR-15 on that after to encapsulate the metal and stop any further action.

My thought was, I don't want to get sand everywhere, chemical as you said wasn't a real good option & the POR15 has a proven record of working good in that exact situation. It's all be buried once the interior is installed, so it doesn't keep me awake at night.

Since I had the vents out on both kick panels as you do, I cleaned that out real good down there, including vacuuming/blowing out the rocker panel and painted POR15 inside that area as well. For the rocker itself, Eastwood has a spray product with a long wand that coats the inside of that rocker area real good. I think I may have used 2 or 3 cans of that stuff. I also did the A-pillar while I was there.

I was researching cavity wax initially, and bought a few different kinds, but they just weren't what I wanted, too thin and runny. 3M used to have one that dried like a nice heavy wax, but that got 'replaced' with a 'better' product, that I just didn't like, too thin.

It's a suck job, no matter how you look at it though.

Thanks. Clean it and seal it is all I’m after. Even if you could see it the insulation covers it anyway. Just stopping the surface rust. 

Did a little firewall work today. That’s about an hour and a half worth. Good start a lot more hours to go. I did not paint or anything,that’s just how it came out with all the crap off it. Pic makes it look better than it is. 

98ABAF46-013D-4100-9349-CC867AB2B3C2.jpeg

C453371A-6C0A-420C-AB3F-C277BDC026CF.jpeg

AF255865-20D5-4AAF-A8C1-55003ED8BCFA.jpeg

That's the stuff that takes a lot of time, patience, and is not that enjoyable (at least to me). But, it is one of those necessary evils needed to get a nice finished product. Looks great, and better you than me, lol.

I’m weighing my options. If I dip chance that all the chemicals won’t get rinsed out. If I blast good chance all the product used won’t get out then when you spray the air from the gun pushes the blasting product. I cannot be guaranteed all the product will be removed from the tight spots on the body. Even if I do it my self the best I can do is a vacuum and air nozzle. It’s the restoration dilemma 

• Like 1