My 71 SS restoration project

So the Monte project got derailed for a moment. I scored two 70 chevelle SS front fenders ( probably 8 or 9 on a scale) core support (a 10 mint) a grill and a couple of rim rings. 650 bucks. But I had to drive to south of St. Louis to get them. Try stuffing all that in a Chevy Cruze. Flip note I got to watch the odometer flip to 100,000 miles. Kinda cool. I got home at 1:30 this morning 

A7F7BEFE-0058-4578-B155-1F27B36921E2.jpeg

D6C92D6A-339E-45EA-AE9F-32DD9F94B8CF.jpeg

3EB85F04-A9D5-404D-B2FD-6407870C1823.jpeg

E786FBE7-D7DC-465E-9959-55A68CB1761D.jpeg

FEEB00C8-A2D6-47CD-9B95-213D40C9D698.jpeg

F44FCFE2-9A84-4769-94EF-40857A63CB40.jpeg

Wow! Looks like you have multiple projects in the works! 70 is my favorite year for the Chevelle. How long have you had the Chevelle and what are your plans for it?

Nice score Dennis. But i think you were trying to get home fast. 70 is a bit fast for over here. Snail pace 55 is the normal for here, however i only see the 55 on the way up to cruzin speed and that is as fast as the car in front of me is going!!! lol

51 minutes ago, willie said:

Nice score Dennis. But i think you were trying to get home fast. 70 is a bit fast for over here. Snail pace 55 is the normal for here, however i only see the 55 on the way up to cruzin speed and that is as fast as the car in front of me is going!!! lol

I was moving slow at 70. That’s the speed limit. I was usually 78 79 and being passed a lot 

1 hour ago, sbarnette said:

Wow! Looks like you have multiple projects in the works! 70 is my favorite year for the Chevelle. How long have you had the Chevelle and what are your plans for it?

My dad bought all us kids our first cars and this was mine. So I got it in 1984. We picked it up in Colorado and drove it back to Minnesota. My dad was in the lead car and I would fall way behind in the chevelle and then go blowing by him at about 120 and slow down and then do it again. When we got home he parked the car beside the house and told me I couldn’t have it and he bought me a 200 dollar 67 Chev pickup. The car sat outside under a tree and rusted ( not unrepairable) until he passed in 98 then I finally got it. I cannot determine if it is a true SS so I have not done anything to it but clean it up. But I am eventually going to fix it. It’s a 75 footer right now. But it’s sure fun to drive. Love the big block sounds and the whining of the m22 rock crusher. It’s not going anywhere my dad loved the car and wanted to fix it up so I’ll do it in his memory. It’s only money and you can’t take it with you to that junk yard in the sky. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dtret said:

My dad bought all us kids our first cars and this was mine. So I got it in 1984. We picked it up in Colorado and drove it back to Minnesota. My dad was in the lead car and I would fall way behind in the chevelle and then go blowing by him at about 120 and slow down and then do it again. When we got home he parked the car beside the house and told me I couldn’t have it and he bought me a 200 dollar 67 Chev pickup. The car sat outside under a tree and rusted ( not unrepairable) until he passed in 98 then I finally got it. I cannot determine if it is a true SS so I have not done anything to it but clean it up. But I am eventually going to fix it. It’s a 75 footer right now. But it’s sure fun to drive. Love the big block sounds and the whining of the m22 rock crusher. It’s not going anywhere my dad loved the car and wanted to fix it up so I’ll do it in his memory. It’s only money and you can’t take it with you to that junk yard in the sky. 

It must have been hard no being able to drive it all those years. Ironically, my dad had a 67 Chevrolet pickup when I turned 16 and that’s what I drove for 6 or 7 months until I bought my first car, a 71 Monte Carlo. That was 43 years ago and I still have it. She’s my next project.

2 hours ago, sbarnette said:

It must have been hard no being able to drive it all those years. Ironically, my dad had a 67 Chevrolet pickup when I turned 16 and that’s what I drove for 6 or 7 months until I bought my first car, a 71 Monte Carlo. That was 43 years ago and I still have it. She’s my next project.

That’s kinda familiar. I drove the 67 for a while and bought a 77 Monte( and I want another big boat)

12 minutes ago, Dtret said:

That’s kinda familiar. I drove the 67 for a while and bought a 77 Monte( and I want another big boat)

On the big boat. I got a lead on a 75 that’s been sitting in a barn for about 20 years. Was told 100 percent rust free. It’s in Kansas (another road trip but I’ll go to Denver and visit my brothers (more parts for the 70 chevelle and 71 Monte waiting to be picked up)). It’s a passion of stupidity I tell you and I can’t stop. It’s like buying tools. Lol 😂 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dtret said:

On the big boat. I got a lead on a 75 that’s been sitting in a barn for about 20 years. Was told 100 percent rust free. It’s in Kansas (another road trip but I’ll go to Denver and visit my brothers (more parts for the 70 chevelle and 71 Monte waiting to be picked up)). It’s a passion of stupidity I tell you and I can’t stop. It’s like buying tools. Lol 😂 

It is a sickness isn't it 🤣

10 hours ago, Dtret said:

A 76 or 77 was what I really wanted when I was 16, but I couldn’t afford a new car so I settled for the 71. I paid $1,425 for it and my dad loaned me $300 so I could buy it.

2 hours ago, sbarnette said:

A 76 or 77 was what I really wanted when I was 16, but I couldn’t afford a new car so I settled for the 71. I paid $1,425 for it and my dad loaned me $300 so I could buy it.

That really what I want. A 77. But if I can get this 75 for 3 digits I’ll buy it. If 4 digits I’m passing 

We got about 4" so far, and they salted the crap out of the roads...not happy.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

We got about 4" so far, and they salted the crap out of the roads...not happy.

No. That sucks. Now it’s a month before you can drive again. If it doesn’t rain 

17 minutes ago, Dtret said:

No. That sucks. Now it’s a month before you can drive again. If it doesn’t rain 

Exactly....it just sucks. They were pouring the salt on.