My 71 SS restoration project

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

Exactly....it just sucks. They were pouring the salt on.

When are they going to realize that if they just stop salting eventually all the non-drivers will be in the ditch and we can go about our merry way. Possibly it will help teach the non-drivers how to actually drive. Just a thought,, albeit rediculas (?) a thought nonetheless 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dtret said:

When are they going to realize that if they just stop salting eventually all the non-drivers will be in the ditch and we can go about our merry way. Possibly it will help teach the non-drivers how to actually drive. Just a thought,, albeit ridiculous.  a thought nonetheless 

I think that's a great idea, you have my vote!

Just now, Dtret said:

The dems are in office. It won’t get counted. Lol

Good point!

• 2 weeks later...

It is with great pain that I have to admit defeat. Their is so much surface rust in places that I cannot get to that I am going to have no choice but to have the body chemically dipped. This is against my better judgment. California humidity and the leaky nature of these body styles leave me no choice. This should no doubt put me way behind schedule. It looks like a two to three month wait to get it in. I will post more information when I get some. 

3 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

That's a bummer, is there anyone anywhere near you that does that?

There is. About 30 miles. No big deal. I stopped there a few months ago just to pick his brain and he had about 10 bodies there to do. But the big problem with him is, most of the work he does is high pay industrial so he squeezes the bodies in when he can. I get his point too. 10 crates of high pay industrial or 1 car body. What would I do if I were in his shoes. SHOW ME THE MONEY 💴. I’ll talk to him on Monday. That being said I still am not comfortable dipping it. 

What about that 'dustless blasting', would that be aggressive enough to remove the rust you have, and get in the spots you need?

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

What about that 'dustless blasting', would that be aggressive enough to remove the rust you have, and get in the spots you need?

O for sure. All it is is that flaky wipe off type of rust. But the problem is it’s all behind the bracing and other places I can’t get to. The stuff I can get to just wire brush on a drill and gone. 

So last night I watched a video on the complete process of chemical dipping all the way to paintable primer. I’m not dipping. I think that I would be better off leaving the scaly rust under the braces etc. Dip, neutralize, wash, blow dry, coat for rust (just a clear spray coating). At this point you get to take it home. Now to get ready to prime you have to spray a chemical to on every part of the metal and scrub it till it blackens then wipe it off, then you have to pressure wash the whole thing and air dry to remove all the moisture. Then prime with epoxy or bare metal primer. That still leaves me with either chemicals from dipping or the coating under all the bracing. So it’s didn’t solve a dang thing but remove my rust and eat my metal. So I am going to wheel away what I can get to and pressure wash it and blow dry it the best I can and coat it with primer/ rust encapsulator and hope for the best. 

7 minutes ago, Dtret said:

It will be a couple more weeks till I get my engine from the builder. So I improvised. Sunday cruise anyone?  Lol

So I guess you could honestly say you have a six and three quarter horse motor in there...

30 minutes ago, jft69z said:

So I guess you could honestly say you have a six and three quarter horse motor in there...

Yep. But I need to figure out a transmission/ driveshaft issue. For what I put down on the 454 rebuild I was honestly hoping for a better result. 

Yesterday the engine builder called me and had me bring him my flexplate so he could balance the crankshaft. It will be 6 months on the 9th of May. Do I smell gas fumes in my future?🙏🙏🙏

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Do I smell gas fumes in my future?🙏🙏🙏

Three years is in the future too....lol (couldn't resist).

But honestly, hope you get it soon. I know it's a roadblock to getting everything else in place and fitted properly.

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

Three years is in the future too....lol (couldn't resist).

But honestly, hope you get it soon. I know it's a roadblock to getting everything else in place and fitted properly.

Your not wrong. And probably more accurate than I want to believe. 

2 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

Sounds like you'll be getting it soon Dennis! I can't wait to see it.

I think I forgot what it looks like. Wait let me open the hood of my chevelle. Aaahhhh. Come home to daddy. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So in my never ending search for the highest quality restoration parts, I bought these. I never realized that the rocker trim was that shiny. Compared to my original ( one was polished and one left alone (the middle ones)). Wow. These are original gm still in packages 

BDB6F28C-BCF7-4792-928A-25124DB1B76F.jpeg

F9401C52-E804-4A72-9C33-E5176A4D32F1.jpeg

6F30BF85-BA39-4739-AC78-A127732B4A9A.jpeg

839B81FB-C8A8-4047-B164-A488E1BCFFF9.jpeg

9 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

They clean up nice I have the originals off my car I'm going to put back on. The aftermarket stuff is junk.

Since my search for rocker molding is over, I’m going to buy a set of repops to compare with the new gm ones I got just to see. 

3 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Aftermarket stuff is much thinner and dents real easy.

I can vouch for that  could not get my aftermarket on without denting but part of that is my fault because I got in a hurry and banged them on just like I used too when I worked in a Body shop back in the 70's and 80's