My 71 SS restoration project

Engine update. It’s getting close. The main thing he’s waiting on now is the carb to come back from the rebuilders. I hate when things time out so bad. So I’m guessing about 2 weeks 

E68D8937-8FFE-40BB-B9B8-11C3C51D6AC3.jpeg

FB5B0138-DB71-4334-B2EC-81FD345F856D.jpeg

D6EC2323-4E01-4E62-996C-A3ACE5E2AFF8.jpeg

373FE39D-BC92-4D53-BDBA-DC82A436DB93.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

Spent half a day painting trim (thanks Joe). Not perfect but not to bad. The stuff wasn’t perfect in 71 anyway. Lol

9750DB94-ECEA-4ECE-9D61-AFE5E4A2F712.jpeg

717C6183-F3BE-40E3-95E9-0031CE561544.jpeg

That looks nice.

Dennis,

It looks fine.  Regarding the trim, I can tell you that nobody is going to even get close enough to inspect it so in my opinion I think you did a great job.

rob

Looks great Dennis. Mine came out OK, but like you said, not perfect. I had to use a razor to cut the paint line when removing the masking tape, after it started lifting in a couple of spots.

32 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Looks great Dennis. Mine came out OK, but like you said, not perfect. I had to use a razor to cut the paint line when removing the masking take, after it started lifting in a couple of spots.

I pulled the tape on the first one and the paint started lifting. On the rest I used the razor blade before I pulled the tape and they came out good 

Today’s seatbelt project. Before and after mixed in one picture. Now I have to wait for them to dry to see if they need to be dyed. I waited 2 1/2 months to get the material for my seats, finally got that yesterday. I had a time booked with the Upolstry guy but that got blown to he.. with the material delay. Now 2-3 weeks before he can get it in the shop. Good thing I’m trying to plan ahead. Still no body work done so I’m good on time. 

2FCBF252-3551-48E1-A791-68A064757E9F.jpeg

• Like 2

Doing a great job. One step at a time, at least it's forward progress! 

Yes as Joe says forward progress is always better than backwards (ask us how we know).

Keep on truckin Dennis, you are doing a fantastic job!!!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, jft69z said:

Doing a great job. One step at a time, at least it's forward progress! 

Thanks. It may look like forward progress on the thread but in real life it’s (like you said in your thread) 2 forward and 3 back. But sometimes you have to go in reverse to get to the finish line. That’s why they put reverse on cars. Lol. 

5 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Thanks. It may look like forward progress on the thread but in real life it’s (like you said in your thread) 2 forward and 3 back. But sometimes you have to go in reverse to get to the finish line. That’s why they put reverse on cars. Lol. 

LOL, yeah, I wanted to stay positive and not bring up the misery factor. Damn car is still fighting me every step of the way, no matter what I do. 

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

LOL, yeah, I wanted to stay positive and not bring up the misery factor. Damn car is still fighting me every step of the way, no matter what I do. 

You know in your head what needs to be done. You pay good money for the the correct products to do the job. So why does everything turn into a fight? And it’s not just the car either. I don’t know it’s probably just me. Lack of patience. But I will win. As will you 

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

You know in your head what needs to be done. You pay good money for the the correct products to do the job. So why does everything turn into a fight? And it’s not just the car either. I don’t know it’s probably just me. Lack of patience. But I will win. As will you 

It's not just you, that's for sure. 

I always win, it just takes a longer fight sometimes, lol. I refuse to let that stuff beat me.

So just for giggles, yesterday I took my buckets and back seat to a local Upolstry guy. 6 month wait 2500 bucks and I’m supplying new springs, padding and material( 1335 dollars worth). OMG 😱. I think I may have cried a little(lol) but it may have been the alcohol 🍺 

• Haha 1

Back to the seat belts. After a good cleaning turns out still way faded. Need dyed. Shoulder belts. Before dying and after. I’m good with how they turned out. Let them dry and see if a second coat is needed. 

6599990B-AEFB-466E-9114-E369A00DD259.jpeg

9AFF6ECD-5386-44B1-801E-603FE0BDD32B.jpeg

I got a new car today. Finally found one the future colors of mine. If I ever get it done it will hang from the mirror. Now I have to debate whether I want to pay the ungodly shipping charges opgi wants for the license plate frame I want   Lol

28BDD071-6E1A-48CD-8620-535182E2D35B.jpeg

• Like 1

Happy anniversary?  I sometimes question my resolve and progress for that matter. 1 year ago today I bought this car and bought it home in boxes. Even though it seems I am moving along at a snails pace,I am actually pleased with the progress. All I have left to refurbish is the door and windows guts ( doors and quarters) 3 actually drivers door done yesterday. Seats have to go to the Upolstry guy but all parts and materials are here. Engine is done ( I think) waiting on carb to come back from rebuild and then it should be ready for dyno. Big financial holdup is the body. I still need that done ( no rust repair thank god). But my basement is clearing out nicely and when the engine comes back I’ll install it then move the frame assembly to the garage and I’ll be out of the basement. But that doesn’t help the room upstairs where all the finished parts are. That’s all I got for news. 

• Like 2

That's a lot of work for a year. Seems like another full time job sometimes..

I was going through the drivers door wiring harness and found a hidden broken wire. One less gremlin. But I’m sure many more to come. I can’t wait 😜