My 71 SS restoration project

9 hours ago, Dtret said:

Happy anniversary?  I sometimes question my resolve and progress for that matter. 1 year ago today I bought this car and bought it home in boxes. Even though it seems I am moving along at a snails pace,I am actually pleased with the progress. All I have left to refurbish is the door and windows guts ( doors and quarters) 3 actually drivers door done yesterday. Seats have to go to the Upolstry guy but all parts and materials are here. Engine is done ( I think) waiting on carb to come back from rebuild and then it should be ready for dyno. Big financial holdup is the body. I still need that done ( no rust repair thank god). But my basement is clearing out nicely and when the engine comes back I’ll install it then move the frame assembly to the garage and I’ll be out of the basement. But that doesn’t help the room upstairs where all the finished parts are. That’s all I got for news. 

I’m sure it seems like it’s moving slow, but you’ve accomplished a lot! I have thoroughly enjoyed following your progress. Thanks for sharing!

34 minutes ago, sbarnette said:

I’m sure it seems like it’s moving slow, but you’ve accomplished a lot! I have thoroughly enjoyed following your progress. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. I appreciate it. And all the help from the group. It takes a village and this is a pretty good one. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I went and paid the engine builder yesterday. OUCH. I cried (lol). More the expected. But not unusual. Also went and checked on the carb. The builder was not happy with how one of the shafts were plated so he sent it back to be redone. Two more weeks. I can’t catch a break. So everything is going to come together the weekend I’m in Carlisle. Story of my life and I knew it was going to happen that way.  

10 minutes ago, Dtret said:

So I went and paid the engine builder yesterday. OUCH. I cried (lol). More the expected. But not unusual. Also went and checked on the carb. The builder was not happy with how one of the shafts were plated so he sent it back to be redone. Two more weeks. I can’t catch a break. So everything is going to come together the weekend I’m in Carlisle. Story of my life and I knew it was going to happen that way.  

Same syndrome that happens to me, 2 steps forward, then shift into reverse, lol. It's getting there though. Unfortunately when you rely on the services of others, you're pretty much held hostage until they do their part.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So it’s been a while since I updated this post. That’s because nothing has changed. Ugh. Called the carb builder today and he told me that the carb is done. Dancing bananas, I think not. He has now sent the idle solenoid out to be plated. What is he sending this one part at a time. 9 weeks and now one more (hopefully). But he said if I really wanted it I could take it untested and he’d just throw an old solenoid on it so I could dyno the motor. I told him no. He has a dyno there so he can set up and test all carbs before they leave his shop. Hurry up and wait. That’s my story. Lol. (You just have to laugh)

My patience with that builder may have run out well before yours has, damn. 

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

My patience with that builder may have run out well before yours has, damn. 

Engine has been done for two months. He told me I could take it if I wanted but I want him to run it on his dyno to make sure that that there are no issues. It’s the carb builder this time. But yes my patience has run out for outside services. 

And took it to the engine builder and his helper thinks Monday for the dyno. It’s already mounted on the frame part of the dyno. So let me pray. 

CD0EB04F-2F2F-4208-802D-D2821537AFAB.jpeg

046768CB-78E5-48CD-97BB-B120983ED670.jpeg

F268B373-EF3B-450A-97C4-BAD45B6CE6D1.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

Looks great Dennis!! Man that Quadrajet looks very nice. 😎

Ya I’m very happy with his work. Took too long but I kinda understand why. Every cadmium piece had to be cleaned and plated. I thought the price was really good also. 400 bucks and it was also ran on a dyno engine to make sure it was perfect. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

And took it to the engine builder and his helper thinks Monday for the dyno. It’s already mounted on the frame part of the dyno. So let me pray. 

CD0EB04F-2F2F-4208-802D-D2821537AFAB.jpeg

046768CB-78E5-48CD-97BB-B120983ED670.jpeg

F268B373-EF3B-450A-97C4-BAD45B6CE6D1.jpeg

Question Dennis. Where did you find, or who can you get the vacuum choke pulloff at? The pulloff in your picture is half brass. Those are hard to find. I got one like that years ago, can’t find that style now. The only one available is all plastic. If you know where that style is at or who it can be bought from please let me know.

John S

2 hours ago, John S said:

Question Dennis. Where did you find, or who can you get the vacuum choke pulloff at? The pulloff in your picture is half brass. Those are hard to find. I got one like that years ago, can’t find that style now. The only one available is all plastic. If you know where that style is at or who it can be bought from please let me know.

John S

The shop may have one. He has thousands of carbs on his shop he may sell one if he has any. Give him a call on Monday. 
Chris’s carb shop. You guessed it. His name is Chris and so is his son. Dayton Ohio 1-937-890-0970. They are ooold school be patient. Tell him that you got the information from me Dennis. 71 Monte big block automatic 7041200. He’s horrible with names but remembers jobs. If he has one he may ship. If not let me know. I’m up there on Fridays can pick it up and ship it to you. But I think he will ship. You can try him Saturday he might be there but I don’t think so. 

1 hour ago, Grant MacPherson said:

did you do a stock rebuild? I went back a ways and didn't see anything. Interested in the dyno results.

I tried but it had to be bored 30. Roller cam and lifters,3 angle valve job with hardened seats. That’s about it. Ya I’m curious on the dyno results also. I’ll post them when I get them. If the engine doesn’t blow first (my luck) 

Hey Dennis that carb looks Great!!!   The engine looks Great Also!!!   It wont be long now.  I know you have tons to do but a year in my eyes is very good.   Nice going!!!!

9 hours ago, willie said:

Hey Dennis that carb looks Great!!!   The engine looks Great Also!!!   It wont be long now.  I know you have tons to do but a year in my eyes is very good.   Nice going!!!!

Thanks Willie. Yep tons. But it will be worth it 

Yes it will be Dennis!!!!   Have you decided on a color? Its been awhile since i read this entire post so dont remember. LOL You are doing excellent work, keep it up!!