My 71 SS restoration project

Your scaring me again Dennis.   Glad the owner is going to be ok!   How do you know at this point that your paint is going to be mismatched? Think Positive.  Also glad you are almost out of the basement. More room for another Monte. You have to have another to show the chevelle who is really the boss. 

Last i am not sure about the tranny but i dont think so. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help you out.

Great work Dennis!!!! 

11 hours ago, willie said:

Your scaring me again Dennis.   Glad the owner is going to be ok!   How do you know at this point that your paint is going to be mismatched? Think Positive.  Also glad you are almost out of the basement. More room for another Monte. You have to have another to show the chevelle who is really the boss. 

Last i am not sure about the tranny but i dont think so. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help you out.

Great work Dennis!!!! 

That’s funny you say “another Monte “. My brother has 3 he wants to give me. But he won’t sell them. One 70 and two 72’s. To build one car out of. As far as the mismatch paint. I don’t know, I only know what I’m told from friends and from the group. A friend of mine— it feels like he’s taking a sledgehammer to mine head about how bad this is going to turn out. He said I should fire the guy immediately.  

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

That’s funny you say “another Monte “. My brother has 3 he wants to give me. But he won’t sell them. One 70 and two 72’s. To build one car out of. As far as the mismatch paint. I don’t know, I only know what I’m told from friends and from the group. A friend of mine— it feels like he’s taking a sledgehammer to mine head about how bad this is going to turn out. He said I should fire the guy immediately.  

I've seen others painted like that and they came out just fine, don't stress over it yet.  When I redo mine I'll probably have to paint mine that way too, fenders hood doors and trunk lid will be dome off the car and hopefully it'll come out just fine.

8 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I've seen others painted like that and they came out just fine, don't stress over it yet.  When I redo mine I'll probably have to paint mine that way too, fenders hood doors and trunk lid will be dome off the car and hopefully it'll come out just fine.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Paying someone to do bodywork and paint in not cheap and I ( and everyone else) want it done right the first time. But one thing I do know is gm did not paint the fenders and hood on the car they were separate BUT probably at the exact same time so temperature, humidity and general environment were the same. This will not be the case for me. But one favorable thing is my complete body and paint work will probably be less expensive than my complete engine debacle. I personally am not stressing over it but I value the opinions of others ( especially since I know that they know what they are talking about)and that’s where the doubt comes from. I just keep telling myself it will be fine. As you said also. Thanks again 

By the way I’m out of the basement, other than tools and nick nack parts. Not out of the bedroom upstairs though that will be awhile. I don’t think I like the grill, may have to redo it again. Karen don’t like this idea but when the body goes to the painter I’m going to lay out the rest of the complete car in the room on the floor and shut the door to keep the cats out. I told her that proper assembly  procedures are a must. That excuse didn’t fly but she still understands. 

• Haha 2

Back when our cars were built paining everything at one time, at least to me, was crucial but with the base clear of today it is an advantage but I have seen many cars painted apart and the put together and they have come out great. Technology has come a long way since our cars were built and the systems used today are so much better than in bygone days, I try to think positive in all thing car related and not worry about what I cannot control

1 hour ago, willie said:

Like Joe says 1 step forward and 2-3 back...    

Dont wear your welcome out with the room and Karen. You have another 3 cars to do.   LOL

Ya she’s pretty tolerant of me. But I don’t think she’s THAT tolerant. I don’t think I’d get away with it again. I will do the chevelle but I think that’s enough until I build a garage/shop. The other ones can sit in Denver. Lol. 

3 minutes ago, Leghome said:

Back when our cars were built paining everything at one time, at least to me, was crucial but with the base clear of today it is an advantage but I have seen many cars painted apart and the put together and they have come out great. Technology has come a long way since our cars were built and the systems used today are so much better than in bygone days, I try to think positive in all thing car related and not worry about what I cannot control

See I thought, my first mistake, that I had control because I told him how I wanted it done and he went a different way. From his point of view I get it. He has a business to run and a small shop. He has to keep other work flowing and can’t have one car take up his shop. But it will work out. 

Here’s a close up of the grilled. I don’t like it. When I painted the silver I didn’t realize it was a metallic, because I apparently can’t read a can, so I will probably redo it again. Ugh.

6C46D451-F9BE-4B75-A8D6-824C63A14D52.jpeg

DFA90BB6-D1B4-493E-AC6D-A9647411D234.jpeg

• Like 1

I used Eastwood Argent Silver in a spray can, then sprayed their Satin Diamond Clear over that. It seemed to be one of the better matches to the GM Argent silver when I was looking for a good match at the time. I just ordered a few more cans in anticipation of re-doing the Z/28's wheels when I go thru that car soon.

19 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I used Eastwood Argent Silver in a spray can, then sprayed their Satin Diamond Clear over that. It seemed to be one of the better matches to the GM Argent silver when I was looking for a good match at the time. I just ordered a few more cans in anticipation of re-doing the Z/28's wheels when I go thru that car soon.

Eastwood is good stuff. But I think everything from them is on back order. I’ve been waiting 4 months for grey rust encapsulated primer. 

13 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Eastwood is good stuff. But I think everything from them is on back order. I’ve been waiting 4 months for grey rust encapsulated primer. 

I just got my stuff a few days ago. I also got a can of the black encapsulator.

1 hour ago, willie said:

Not for me either!!!   Maybe its the dancing bears!!!  :yay:   

Joe how is the puppy doing?

She's been good since that one incident. Bloodwork came back normal, so the Vet hopes it's a 'one & done' incident. If it happens again, they may consider seizure meds. Thanks for asking!