My 71 SS restoration project

Alright let’s clear up a few things. First of all I don’t vacuum. Karen cleaned the room after the parts were out. After she’s was done cleaning she thanked me for not making a mess. Second our house has 5 bedrooms two of which are suites, one on each end of the house. Third that room in the the picture is only the exact size of a 3 1/2 car garage ( I know that because it’s above the garage and I finished it, nothing but studs when we bought the house). There is another section of the room that’s not in any pictures. Now I must say, Karen and I stole this house on a foreclosure. We paid about 1/4 what it’s worth. It’s more room than the two of us will ever need. I built the second suite in case her 80 plus year old parents have to move in with us(ugh). We have 4 cats and they each can have a bedroom. Ok this was all in fun and I’m not bragging because we still have to scratch the check each month. BUT I still don’t have a garage to work on my stuff so it’s not all good. Hopefully soon on that. Thank Tom and Willie for making me type this. LOL. 😂😂😂🤪

76184F60-464D-4CAB-B84C-1D66F4BC7D80.jpeg

62935AC1-C5BB-4682-ACF8-A7F1A2D37652.jpeg

• Like 4

Dennis you know we are just jealous, that room that you built is beautiful. That is about half my house alone. lol    If we had priced a 5 bedroom house here it would be at least another zero at the end of the price, and double the number by Tom.     

No wonder why you can get away with Karen allowing you to put all those parts in the house. The butler doesn't tell her you did, and then locks the door. She will just go to another room.   LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It’s all about location. You guys are in the money parts on New York, I’m in a welfare state. Yours may be smaller ( but who cares, not me) but the value is probably double. If we would not have stole this place we wouldn’t be here. Our old house was about 1300 square feet but I built a garage that was bigger than the house. I miss that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

..... but I built a garage that was bigger than the house....

Pretty much my situation, but the big shop was already there (we added on to it later to square up the building for the spray booth area). The realtor took me into the garage first. I told him, "sold",....btw, what does the house look like?

Real nice job on your house, good for you!

• Like 1

The seats look good, i don't see a problem.  I remember when i had mine done he ask me to measure every button on the back. I think i still have that paper some where.  Who of us is going back there any way. lol

Dennis your house is beautiful, i seen pics!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

The seats look good, i don't see a problem.  I remember when i had mine done he ask me to measure every button on the back. I think i still have that paper some where.  Who of us is going back there any way. lol

Dennis your house is beautiful, i seen pics!!

I forgot to add, the Upolstry guy ONLY charged me 400 bucks to make and install them seat covers. Keep in mind that I had all the material, springs and foam for the buckets and he put new foam and repaired the rear seat spring. I gave him a 200 dollar tip. 

• Like 2

That's a great price, I went to an upholstery place to have one of the seats repaired in my truck he said 400 to repair the one seat, not replace cover just repair the bottom of the one seat. Needless to say I'm still looking.  The dealer was 450 to put a new cover on. Not to many places around here that do that. They look great Dennis. 

You don't want to know what Legendary charges....

Seats look great, and I like cloth better than vinyl/leather. More comfortable to me, but wasn't really an option for the 72 without going to a different supplier. Legendary didn't have anything that would have worked.

52 minutes ago, jft69z said:

You don't want to know what Legendary charges....

Seats look great, and I like cloth better than vinyl/leather. More comfortable to me, but wasn't really an option for the 72 without going to a different supplier. Legendary didn't have anything that would have worked.

Blue cloth was never used on buckets  only blue vinyl. But I wanted to match my tag. Blue Cloth interior. Oops it says bench. That’s why I had to have them made. Two other shops a lot closer quotes me 2500 using my material and the other stuff. Legendary would have made the covers 46 weeks and 1300 for the front and 800 for the rear. The rear they had in stock I kinda wish I would have gone with the bolstered seats though. But I’m happy with it. Thanks for the compliment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

That's a great price, I went to an upholstery place to have one of the seats repaired in my truck he said 400 to repair the one seat, not replace cover just repair the bottom of the one seat. Needless to say I'm still looking.  The dealer was 450 to put a new cover on. Not to many places around here that do that. They look great Dennis. 

He originally quoted me 800 which I thought was low. Thanks 

Sorry guys, blue cloth was available on bucket seats. Here is a pic of my brother's 71 SS with blue cloth factory covers.  Sorry, have to get a better pic of his interior. Lol maybe he has a better pic  IMG_20190921_122037.thumb.jpg.e21012c2c88cbae387dbef990b594969.jpg

• Like 2

I have to believe you cuz I see it and why would they make every other color but blue?????  I never understood that. All I know is every piece of literature I looked through basically pointed out blue cloth buckets were not available. I’m glad they are because that keeps me in the ( it could be ordered category). Thanks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

I have to believe you cuz I see it and why would they make every other color but blue?????  I never understood that. All I know is every piece of literature I looked through basically pointed out blue cloth buckets were not available. I’m glad they are because that keeps me in the ( it could be ordered category). Thanks. 

Ps. I did find blue cloth buckets in the gm heritage paperwork. 

I have a problem. Lining up the passenger fender and I noticed when I got it real close that the molding is about a 1/2 inch higher than the door molding. It is not the original fender ( I believe it is from a 72 po bought it). Am I doing something wrong?  I don’t want to have to drill new holes and the rocker molding is off also. The problem isn’t drilling holes it’s the “old” rocker molding holes will show between the two moldings. Has anyone run into this?  Help please!!!!  All the fender and door body lines do line up perfectly 

Are there any shims at the bottom of the fender? You may have to add a few to bring the bottom of the fender line down, towards the ground. Fine line though because that'll also change the shape of the vertical curve of the fender, adjacent to the front edge of the door.

It's not unusual to see a couple or more 1/8" shims.

• Like 1

You are correct in that not all colors were available in cloth for bucket seats in 71. Try finding dark saddle cloth bucket seat covers. Vynal, yes. I'm sure a few other colors also. 

9 hours ago, jft69z said:

Are there any shims at the bottom of the fender? You may have to add a few to bring the bottom of the fender line down, towards the ground. Fine line though because that'll also change the shape of the vertical curve of the fender, adjacent to the front edge of the door.

It's not unusual to see a couple or more 1/8" shims.

Yes there are a few shims but I got all the body lines perfectly lined up and the molding is still up about a 1/2 inch. 

14 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Sorry guys, blue cloth was available on bucket seats. Here is a pic of my brother's 71 SS with blue cloth factory covers.  Sorry, have to get a better pic of his interior. Lol maybe he has a better pic  IMG_20190921_122037.thumb.jpg.e21012c2c88cbae387dbef990b594969.jpg

Just out of curiosity, in the spring when you pull out that car again snap me some pictures of them seats. I’m curious if I guessed correctly on the Upolstry configuration. Thanks so much in advance. 

• Like 1

Let’s catch up. The fender issues have been resolved( see post “fender questions”). So my buddy came down for thanksgiving and wanted to line up the body panels and do all 4 window alignments. Done. Turned out pretty good. While doing the hood we found the drivers hood hinge was bent to crap. New hinges will be ordered. While he was adjusting the windows (we hooked up the battery for power) the coil started smoking and started leaking liquid. I think have have issues. Lol. Disconnected coil and carried on. So last night about 10:00 he left to head back to Michigan. After he left I installed a few more parts and did the front bumper this morning after oil change on my cruze, passenger rear door latch and tailgate latch on my truck ( broke both Wednesday). The car looks complete but I still have a long way to go. A lot of interior work still remains. 

AF71DD27-EAF6-4445-9E2A-56DE97A03665.jpeg

9719DF3E-FE7F-4279-953F-98E6A9E37271.jpeg

7D7F0D2D-7C7E-4FE6-A133-760061869CA6.jpeg

D39EDCDE-0318-4F0F-AA64-2D4AD44E4C16.jpeg

C40507F7-9403-43AA-B018-00077B85DC4E.jpeg

• Like 5