My 71 SS restoration project

58 minutes ago, willie said:

Nice Joe!!!   Your neighbors must love you signing the driveway!!! 

Next door doesn't care Willie. The one next to them, I hope it does bother them.

The one with the Vette, smoke wafted across the yard for a couple of minutes 😁.

• Like 1

109.5 miles. Slight vibration around 80. I think alot of that was road conditions. I pulled over for a minute ( too much coffee lol) and the idle temp went a little past 210. As soon as I took off it came right back down. I think the system is still purging air. So I’ll check the coolant when it cools down. I pretty dahm satisfied though. But good god what a boat. Lol 

• Like 5

So I take that back. I did have one issue. I stopped to fuel up ( first time). When I filled the tank full ( I know it was cuz gas burped out the tube and I added more till I could see it) the gas gauge read between 1/2 and 3/4 full. I know the answer but would there happen to be another way to adjust float or gauge without pulling the tank? Like I said I know the answer but a guy can hope for a trick. Lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dtret said:

So I take that back. I did have one issue. I stopped to fuel up ( first time). When I filled the tank full ( I know it was cuz gas burped out the tube and I added more till I could see it) the gas gauge read between 1/2 and 3/4 full. I know the answer but would there happen to be another way to adjust float or gauge without pulling the tank? Like I said I know the answer but a guy can hope for a trick. Lol. 

That's the only way I know of, I have to do mine too reads 1/4 tank when full. I keep putting it off lol. One of these days I'll get to it, for now I just keep track of mileage. 

19 hours ago, Dtret said:

After sitting for a few months and a long term storage, mine did the exact same thing… I ignored it both times and a few weeks later the problem went away... … … Been working perfectly for several year now….. Hope this helps. 

It may be worth the wait…. No pun intended. LOL 

BTW.. I did run out of gas once… 

Ed C

I just thought of something. I have driven my 71 124 miles already this year. That’s  more miles than I have driven my 70 chevelle ss and my 88 Monte ss combined in the last 15 years. I think I need to have my head examined. Lol. See what happens when I stop and think. Nothing good ever comes out of it. Lol. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Dennis, the car is built (will not say done, because we all know they are never done). I am waiting for the post that you say that!!!   I have been attending to an army of dancing bears, and they are ready to put here for YOU!!!   So lets go!!

Ya I was thinking of that today when we were driving to Karen’s brothers house. Yes Karen got her first ride in it today “ it’s nice “. Lol. Car girl she’s not. I’ll take some better pictures and button this up. Not done yet. 

• Like 1

Karen did/does help me occasionally. She even gets upset when I’m mad about something. Lol. She really doesn’t care if it even starts. “ Just take something else, we gotta go”. 

I'll  rant a little on that first drive after the  initial rebuild of a 1st Gen...we should bottle that smell.  That's how I get motivated to working on this wench at times. She digs me, but once in awhile we have a fuss,she wins,and I  struggle on  working as I should , only to enjoy that feeling  once again behind the wheel. Only truly refined mechanics understand what really goes into these classics. It must have been awesome to say the least  on "getting" on the throttle for the 1st time since you drove it? All the hard work has paid off my friend, now just enjoy it every time you're in it !! It was A long 4yrs to get it back the road for me..... Well worth itpost-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I guess Willie is twisting my arm here, so I guess I’ll button this thread up. It will never be done and there’s some things that I don’t like and will redo. We call that a learning experience lol ( expensive too). I’m sure I will add to the thread. I actually have never driven a first generation Monte although I grew up in the backseat of a couple. My first Monte was a 77 ( actually I almost bought one on Saturday yep Karen approved lol). So my first drive was really my first. It felt great. I won’t name any names but I want to thank the group for all the help and insight. It was a fun (?) experience. Thanks again. See some of you guys in Carlisle.

345DF6EA-4B32-42DA-A3F1-6441045092A4.jpeg

C502E55F-9B9A-4B61-B2D9-E7C0271746C5.jpeg

32E26135-50C8-469C-BDAB-F1D8549750B6.jpeg

7774CABE-C186-40DD-946B-18F640EFF4B6.jpeg

B0C109C3-F45F-4D54-BB45-E3C68A1C2AB6.jpeg

1BD9A49D-367D-4A20-93DB-62D533EDF5BC.jpeg

8B1ABB0F-02E6-4912-8DBF-19E19E8E468C.jpeg

4D644970-4ED8-4335-AF96-1428858BF67A.jpeg

5FA4942C-F3C5-493E-A349-F7D6508F03C7.jpeg

1A44FC42-36CB-4209-8A4D-CC2951F43936.jpeg

16BD0A40-0664-4608-B0F9-480AAD0F48B0.jpeg

• Like 4

Just for kicks I will throw in a picture of myself and Karen. If you want print my out and use it as a dartboard. Lol. Don’t do that to Karen because she will find out and you won’t be happy. She was not happy about me taking a picture of her. We’ve been together almost 20 years and I can probably count on one hand the number of pic’s I have of her. The toolbox in the picture took apart and built about 75 percent of the car. Gotta love old simple cars. Lol. 

7A3D4B89-7326-420C-9479-26BF2EAFF4BB.jpeg

C55AC8BD-5F16-448A-986B-DE013794B95D.jpeg

• Like 6

Kind of off the subject but I was wondering if anyone here has ever seen the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou".  It is truly a very funny movie.  The movie was more shot depicting the time period of my Model A Ford.  

Anyway, like I said this is really off the subject but Dennis, looking at your picture standing in your garage it hit me.  I never knew you could have been a stand-in for the charactor Delmar in that movie.  Does anyone else see the resemblence or do I need to get my eyes checked?

rob

Delmar ODonnell.jpgDennis T Cropped.jpg

• Haha 1

Ya I’m not very photogenic. I’ve been hit in the head way too many times. I got my hair cut today and the rookie was using shears and was sanding my head. Lol. Like I said dartboard picture. I promise I don’t do drugs. That picture is about as stupid as the dancing bananas 🍌. Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1