My 71 SS restoration project

44 minutes ago, willie said:

Yes it will be Dennis!!!!   Have you decided on a color? Its been awhile since i read this entire post so dont remember. LOL You are doing excellent work, keep it up!!

Ascot blue white vinyl top. Light blue. I know that will make Rob happy also. He’s got a thing for blue (I don’t know why?). Lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dtret said:

Ascot blue white vinyl top. Light blue. I know that will make Rob happy also. He’s got a thing for blue (I don’t know why?). Lol. 

Cant go wrong with a blue monte 😀 have you thought any about a two tone with white top instead of vinyl? Or are you going the way it was built from factory?

17 hours ago, Dtret said:

The shop may have one. He has thousands of carbs on his shop he may sell one if he has any. Give him a call on Monday. 
Chris’s carb shop. You guessed it. His name is Chris and so is his son. Dayton Ohio 1-937-890-0970. They are ooold school be patient. Tell him that you got the information from me Dennis. 71 Monte big block automatic 7041200. He’s horrible with names but remembers jobs. If he has one he may ship. If not let me know. I’m up there on Fridays can pick it up and ship it to you. But I think he will ship. You can try him Saturday he might be there but I don’t think so. 

Thanks I will do that. There is a difference between those two different styles. Parts houses will tell you there is no difference but most if not all people working at auto parts stores don’t know anything about carburetors. Again thanks.

John S

38 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Cant go wrong with a blue monte 😀 have you thought any about a two tone with white top instead of vinyl? Or are you going the way it was built from factory?

Factory. I may have thought about painting it but the previous owner already had a new vinyl top. So I am going to put it on. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John S said:

Thanks I will do that. There is a difference between those two different styles. Parts houses will tell you there is no difference but most if not all people working at auto parts stores don’t know anything about carburetors. Again thanks.

John S

No problem. 

1 hour ago, Grant MacPherson said:

how close were the cam specs? mine now has the 390 hp corvette cam but was thinking of going to roller. 

I let the builder pick the cam. He hasn’t given me the cam card yet. So honestly I have no clue. He builds all motors but specializes in high torque high hp motors for racing and pulling trucks, so I trust him. I told him that I wanted a daily driver car that I can sit in traffic with the a/c on. 

• Like 1

Well if they say no news is good news. Then what happens when you get news? Let me tell you. So I got a call today from the engine builder and he said my engine runs awesome. Yaaay. BUT (there’s always a but). Carb is running too lean and needs to be rejeted(?) and the secondary spring needs to be tightened. So off to the builder I go to get the carb and make the 70 mile(1 way) trip to take it back to the carb builder. Probably another week. (240 miles total—again). Ugh I just noticed that I can’t add either. High education. Another lesson- you get what you pay for. Lol

• Haha 1

Oh boy, that sucks. We seem to have the same luck, mostly bad luck, lol. I'm going thru that with my little project this weekend, 2 steps forward.....

Just keep going though, it'll all be worth it in the end.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Oh boy, that sucks. We seem to have the same luck, mostly bad luck, lol. I'm going thru that with my little project this weekend, 2 steps forward.....

Just keep going though, it'll all be worth it in the end.

Gee what project would that be—- camaro, painting floor, setting up for the hot tub or insulation and sheeting of the garage.  I didn’t mention honey do list or the Monte. Lol

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Gee what project would that be—- camaro, painting floor, setting up for the hot tub or insulation and sheeting of the garage.  I didn’t mention honey do list or the Monte. Lol

Painting the floor, for a start. Builder started the interior walls today, doesn't work weekends so that means they'll finish Monday now. I'd planned to paint the floor Saturday or Sunday, so now that's on hold until next weekend probably. I wanted to be pretty much done with that stuff, plus the final wiring during this vacation stretch, but between the paint supply delay & the timing of the walls, that time frame is shot now.

Oh well, can't change it now so I guess it's Hallmark movies and potato chips on the couch. Practice for when I retire in 50 weeks. 🤣

Tell me it ain't so  (I guess it's Hallmark movies and potato chips) sounds like my wife and her hallmark movies. She does not like me sitting in the living room when those are on. I keep saying lets get the face sucking over so it can end. Everyone of them boy meets girl get all lovey dovey, get mad and part ways only to suck each others tonsils out in the end. 😄🤣😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Leghome said:

Tell me it ain't so  (I guess it's Hallmark movies and potato chips) sounds like my wife and her hallmark movies. She does not like me sitting in the living room when those are on. I keep saying lets get the face sucking over so it can end. Everyone of them boy meets girl get all lovey dovey, get mad and part ways only to suck each others tonsils out in the end. 😄🤣😁

LOL, pretty girls everywhere! I tell the gf they should have the 'after Hallmark' sequel to these movies on Cinemax (aka Skinamax) where they just get to the banging part 🤣.

That being said, I was out in the new building adding some ceiling insulation at 5:30 AM for the last couple of hours (they were short a few sections when they did it initially & brought it with the next batch). I wanted to do it because there were a bunch of spots that needed to be adjusted to close up gaps & I'm sure they wouldn't do it the way I wanted anyways.

(I pretty much watch the Science, History, Military, Motortrend, Weather Channel, etc. channels most of time.)

• Like 1

LOL   I didnt see you as a (man hating channel) watcher Joe!!!  My wife is glued to them. I cant even see you eating chips. LOl   

Remember 1 step forward 2 steps back (get kicked)  LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, willie said:

...(man hating channel)...

I cant even see you eating chips. LOl   

Remember 1 step forward 2 steps back (get kicked)  LOL

- Man hating channel is 'Lifetime' I think, lol.

- Salt & vinegar, the best.

- Yep, same old story.

So Tom was correct. He did it while I waited. SORT OF. He had a job he absolutely needed to finish. No interruptions. But he found out that he was missing a part and had to go pick it up. So I said— basically you’re going to close the shop for an hour  to go get the part. Yep. How bout I go get the part and you fix my carb? Ok. 40 minutes and $4.63 later I left with my carb and he was thankful as he..  Now it’s back at the engine builder. He’s going to run it on Monday. I see another kick in the.... coming because that worked out too good. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MC1of80 said:

Sweet! Waiting for the next update! Fingers crossed! 

Yah. My whole body is crossed at this point. This has been going on way to long. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I didn’t update the post on the carb debacle. So let’s go back. I happily left the carb shop and went straight to the engine shop. He was holding my engine on the dyno even though he had two more ready to go on. No change carb is a paperweight. Engine had to come off the dyno. Pay the bill 700 bucks. Leave with a junk carb. I ordered a Holley.  Next Friday dropped it back to the carb shop. I’ll be back in a couple hours to get it. I get there and he has it on his corvette( he told he’d run it on his big block and take me for a ride to prove nothing was wrong) which by the way was a small block pos. It ran like crap ( I thought) but he said it was perfect. So I grabbed my paperweight carb and left. I will figure it out. But the Holley came in and it went to the builder last Friday. So I wait. And I pay another dyno setup bill. But I did put the quadrajet on my chevelle ( yes it’s a big block). 20 mph I nailed it, god what a turd. Turned around came home. Ran great smooth idle no power. 

I did prime my headliner tack strips though. Fenders,bumper filler,headlight bezels and taillight extensions go to the body shop Friday. Then probably two weeks he gets the doors , hood and deck lid and another two weeks the body goes in. One of my customers is right next door to his shop so when everything is painted I will trailer up my chassis ( should have engine in it) and we’re going to roll the body over there and put it on the lift, take off the rotisserie and mount to the body and take it back over to the body shop and he’s going to mount all the other panels and I will pick up a complete looking car. He’s thinking I’ll have it in my garage by beginning of November. I am not getting my hopes up. Lol. Ok that’s all I got. 

EDE22919-1229-411B-99C9-25CCC23A8129.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 70white402 said:

Dennis, if you want your carb rebuilt by the best, call eric from vintage muscle car parts.  He is hands down the best on quads and Holleys and your carb would look and perform perfectly.    Eric: (937)836-1885

Thanks. I may do that because I still want the quad on there, for originality