My 71 SS restoration project

1 minute ago, jft69z said:

My Monte did me dry.....multiple times. I still walk funny.

Yep I know the feeling. I think the 2x4 that I took to the head is now being used somewhere else. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Yep I know the feeling. I think the 2x4 that I took to the head is now being used somewhere else. Lol. 

LOL, I know, you pretty much had the same luck I do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I would have framed that 2X4 with a plaque that said nothing is free and hung it in the garage 

• Like 3

On 11/30/2021 at 7:09 AM, DragCat said:

I would have framed that 2X4 with a plaque that said nothing is free and hung it in the garage 

If I framed the 2x4 then I would have to put a picture of my head with it. Nobody needs to see that again. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Geez. Had to go three pages to find my thread. I guess it’s been awhile. Lol. Nothing but issue after issue. I got most of the electrical done, the only thing left(I think) is blower motor and windshield wipers. New oe shift cable was to long, so was the factory one go figure. I got one from shiftworks and it fit perfectly. I also got it running today. Dang it runs good. Alternator squealing like a pig though. That’s new. Lock out for the shifter doesn’t turn in the steering column so I get to tear apart the column. Stayed tuned for more fun. 

• Haha 1

Squealing alternator may be the belt. I had a couple that no matter what I did or how tight it just refused to stay quiet. They don't make the belts, or anything for that matter like they used to. 

What is the issue with the column? Is the back drive installed and adjusted correctly? 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Squealing alternator may be the belt. I had a couple that no matter what I did or how tight it just refused to stay quiet. They don't make the belts, or anything for that matter like they used to. 

What is the issue with the column? Is the back drive installed and adjusted correctly? 

With the lock rod off the transmission and the key in run position, the collar will not turn. I pulled the column out of the car and tearing it apart now. I’ll find out what’s wrong or I’ll throw it in the neighbors backyard. Lol. 

Took it apart. ALL THE WAY.  There is some sort of cavity built into the collar that hits the ignition switch rod and will not let it turn. The description say it’s for a tilt floor shift column so it should be correct. As I tore it down and pulled parts I kept trying to turn the collar. When I got to the e8 bolts I looked in and seen what was going on and that cavity was not being used for anything. So I’m guessing I will grind it out of there and put it back together. I’m going to try and find a picture of an original tilt, floor shift collar to see if there is anything in there. The picture is what I have. 

D1BC6FF3-453D-4C73-9F58-9DEC51D0E05C.png

• Like 1

That's exactly what I used to convert from column shift tilt to floor shift tilt column. 

Silly question? When you assembled the ignition rod, was the column collar in the park position?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

That's exactly what I used to convert from column shift tilt to floor shift tilt column. 

Silly question? When you assembled the ignition rod, was the column collar in the park position?

No silly question. That was my first time that far in a column. I can’t answer that with any amount of positivity. But if you used the same one and it worked, common sense tells me I screwed something up. 

Here’s what I think I got going on. I got a free partial tilt column and I took two other non tilt columns to make one. I believe the ignition switch and actuator rod are different between the two. Tilt slides up towards the steering wheel and non tilt slides away from the wheel. That being said I’m going to grind away the “cavity” in the collar. Everything worked perfectly except for being able to move the floor shifter with the lock rod connected. Disconnect the rod from the column and you can work the shifter. If it doesn’t work I will get a full tilt column. No problem 

Glad you found something. Yes the "ignition rods" are bent differently  from a tilt and non tilt column. I would try reshaping the rod.

And, how did you get the non tilt rod to work in the first place? The tilt uses the "rack" to piviot/tilt. The non tilt is not capable of doing that.

The top of the ignition rod is square with 2, sorry to say tits on it for the rack to locate and is located in the tilt inner mounting assy. The cast aluminum piece that bolts on top of the bowl you replaced. 

Found this pic. Basically the same as our tilt set up. 

Screenshot_20211217-213915.png

Thanks for the info. The tilt column was missing the ignition switch and the rod so I used them off the non tilt. And changed out the collar all the internal parts were there. I don’t know how I made it all work but I do know that everything did work on the column. Tilt, turn signals, hazard lights horn and lock cylinder. Just the collar won’t turn, the cavity hits the rod. Bending the rod may help. I’ll let you know tomorrow. Thanks again for the info and help. 

• Like 1

So s friend of mine is giving me a complete tilt, column shift steering column. But I probably won’t see it for 6 months. So I will have to buy a new collar for that one because I ruined the one I bought. Lol. I ground out the cavity and put it all back together. Everything works as it should. Wait for it. Except now the collar doesn’t lock so you can shift it with no key. Yes the lock rod is hooked up. No bid deal for now. A project for another day. Something to look forward to. Lol. 

Ok next issue. Key on no blower motor. Oops found a ground not installed. Easy Peasy. Nope. Key out of ignition as soon as I touch the ground the blower motor runs on high. Any ideas. Everything seems to be wired correctly. I’m thinking bad relay. Horn relay runs all time power to the blower relay through the black to orange fused wire. With key on or off the other two wires are not powered ( the 3 spade connector at the relay). Any electrical genius wanna take a stab at this. Thanks 

Ok. It was a good Christmas. I got a handle on all of the electrical issues. Blower working as it should, wipers just had a bad ground. Dome light fuse keeps blowing, bad cigarette lighter. All good now. So now I can actually try and get something done on the build. The next two days will be spent on the interior. Carpet, shifter, console, package tray glued down, quarter, door and kick panels. If I get lucky and everything works at that point—— seats. If I actually get anything done I will post pictures. Sunday. More football and adult beverages. Lol. Priorities. 

• Like 6

You probably know this but save all the final trimming on carpets until after everything else is done including seats, cill plates last. This will allow for carpet to settle in. I actually drove mine around for several days before I installed cill plates.

15 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

You probably know this but save all the final trimming on carpets until after everything else is done including seats, cill plates last. This will allow for carpet to settle in. I actually drove mine around for several days before I installed cill plates.

No I didn’t, so good call. Thanks. 

Package tray glued down, rear carpet in, rear seat side panels, front and rear seatbelts and rear seat. Football time. See if the haphazard bengals can beat a third string ravens team. Doubt it. Sorry real bad picture  

A2F053C3-9E44-4727-BD73-10D1FA248837.jpeg

• Like 3

That's great, looks fantastic! Hard to believe that it's almost complete. Certainly been a long road, good for you!

• Like 1