My 71 SS restoration project

40 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I’m told black. I originally painted it blue to match. As I was mimicking your pictures ( because yours was painted). Now I’m not sure but I went safe with black. 

Before I sprayed mine, I looked at a LOT of those tags on some of the dealer sites that have classic cars. Streetside Auto had the most cars, plus I looked at sold cars too, they still had a lot of pictures available. My take was they're interior color, so that's what I did with mine. I may have only been focused on dark saddle though.

Later tonight, I'll look them up again and see if my memory is failing me.

20 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Before I sprayed mine, I looked at a LOT of those tags on some of the dealer sites that have classic cars. Streetside Auto had the most cars, plus I looked at sold cars too, they still had a lot of pictures available. My take was they're interior color, so that's what I did with mine. I may have only been focused on dark saddle though.

Later tonight, I'll look them up again and see if my memory is failing me.

When I search other sites I find the question “ is tag painted “ and the answer is yes with no explanation. Don’t they realize black is paint also. Lol. 

7 minutes ago, willie said:

All of mine are black, or look like they were black.

Dennis what is that blue tag called, i dont think i have that on any of my cars?

I sure hope not. Lol

Thats the replacement tag the state of California put on the car because the one under the windshield was rusted and gone. They were at least smart enough to verify the original vin and use that number. 

• Like 1

I looked at the Streetside site. Looks like the Saddle interiors mostly had the tag & adjacent area interior colored, though one had a black tag with cowl area painted saddle. There was a darker brown interior that had the tag & adjacent area it was riveted to black.

There was one with a blue interior that had the tag and the panel it attached to black as well. So the next question, on the darker cars, should that whole area be sprayed black then (tag & cowl it mounts to)? Are yours both black everywhere Willie?

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/1162-nsh/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo

All the past sales, 71 & 72:

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/sold?page=1&q[make_eq]=Chevrolet&q[model_eq]=Monte+Carlo&q[year_gteq]=1971&q[year_lteq]=1972

26 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I looked at the Streetside site. Looks like the Saddle interiors mostly had the tag & adjacent area interior colored, though one had a black tag with cowl area painted saddle. There was a darker brown interior that had the tag & adjacent area it was riveted to black.

There was one with a blue interior that had the tag and the panel it attached to black as well. So the next question, on the darker cars, should that whole area be sprayed black then (tag & cowl it mounts to)? Are yours both black everywhere Willie?

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/1162-nsh/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo

All the past sales, 71 & 72:

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/sold?page=1&q[make_eq]=Chevrolet&q[model_eq]=Monte+Carlo&q[year_gteq]=1971&q[year_lteq]=1972

My “adjacent area “was originally blue. Though now I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be dark blue (interior) or ascot blue (light)(body color). It sure looked dark blue to me. What was left of it anyway. So it got painted interior color 

A64C1ECB-360C-4655-B231-3285E34A5807.jpeg

• Like 1

I will ck all the cars tomm.  But the 72 custom that was painted by my painter the color blue at the time, i asked him if that was correct and he said NO it should be black. So i had him repaint it black. I also, on the same car had the same problem on the rear window that the upholsterer told me it should be painted black. I didnt know at the time but found out later.

Dennis tkx on that info about that tag, i also didnt know thats what they do.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:58 PM, Dtret said:

So I got one of the first parts I started looking for when I bought the car today. MY VIN TAG. ( I also posted in another post so sorry about duplication).  So tomorrow Two rivits popped in ( yes I have the correct ones) dash pad installed and I can get the glass put in. Whoo Hooo. 

C78F2AB7-1BD0-4D03-BBAE-B650D754F2E8.jpeg

OH! I am in desperate need of a factory VIN tag to replace my old one. Where/how were you able to get it? PM is fine if you'd rather that.

Well I officially got the last of my back order parts.  Ya. Now I can have the headliner redone, but of course I’m being ghosted by him cuz he’s been paid, and get the glass put in. The end is near. 

• Like 5

Couple of questions, flaws, or however you want to perceive it. LOL.  Is there rust on the LR inner wheel well where the trunk hinge support is attached to the wheel well? 

Also, the placement of the power lock switch looks off to me. I thought I had always saw them 1 pleat back from the door pull trim, not right under it as your car has. I question this because I am going to add power locks and I want to get the right. Otherwise, it looks fantastic, and I can only hope mine turns out half as nice as yours. Great work Dennis!

Dennis, was your headliner on backorder? I have my interior out and am waiting for a quote from my trim shop or I'm going to order one from someone. Mine has a 3 inch tear in it but I figure why not no the headliner and carpet at the same time

52 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

Couple of questions, flaws, or however you want to perceive it. LOL.  Is there rust on the LR inner wheel well where the trunk hinge support is attached to the wheel well? 

Also, the placement of the power lock switch looks off to me. I thought I had always saw them 1 pleat back from the door pull trim, not right under it as your car has. I question this because I am going to add power locks and I want to get the right. Otherwise, it looks fantastic, and I can only hope mine turns out half as nice as yours. Great work Dennis!

Thanks for the input. I left the truck alone for now. So there may be little spots of surface rust there but it’s factory rust.  Lol. That will get done when the weather warms. As far as the door lock buttons, they are the original door panels. Right or wrong (I have no idea) that’s where the factory put them. I will have to investigate that. It seems not may cars had the power door locks even though power windows were pretty common. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 71SSclone said:

Thats true, Dennis Maybe the cars I saw had the power locks added afterwards. I don't really know. Either way, your car looks great

John,

Living in York, we need to get you to attend the Eastern Meet in Carlisle this coming June.  With almost 50 members already registered with me it will be a fantastic meet to attend.

rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing really new on the car front. Headliner guy finally texted me back. Swamped at work bla bla bla we all know that story. I did order the windshield today from the glass guy and the front and rear glass will be installed next Thursday. Weather permitting. 

• Like 4

All I can say is ... WOW! Great job and it makes me want to document my build like this.

Purists will probably hate mine as I am modifying while maintaining a stock appearance aaaaand (this is where people often get mad); I am building the never built 1972 SS. I'll never try to pass it off as an original SS obviously but as a tribute to what could have been vs the Custom. Besides it is rolling on a pro touring suspension and will be a huge big block dressed as a 454. I've owned the car since 1984 and I'm building it into what I want.

IF I could get my hands on an original SS, I would do exactly what you did Dennis, get it back to as original as possible; you did a great job! 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

I made some changes but only if they were original gm options. Also a few non gm options. ie retractable seatbelts and such. 

I did the same as far as 3point in mine plus I beefed up the foam and added bolsters to the original type buckets. I plan on doing some track events and wanted the extra support. Plus the extra half inch or so of foam in the seat is VERY comfortable driving... I also went with leather instead of vinyl or the cloth.

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf racing said:

I did the same as far as 3point in mine plus I beefed up the foam and added bolsters to the original type buckets. I plan on doing some track events and wanted the extra support. Plus the extra half inch or so of foam in the seat is VERY comfortable driving... I also went with leather instead of vinyl or the cloth.

Sorry about the poor picture quality but here is how they look.

Monte seat 1.jpg

Monte seat 2.jpg

• Like 1

Ya they look great. I would probably have done something like that if it wasn’t a restoration. Now if my 70 Chevelle turns out not to be a true SS then I’ll do some special things to that. 

• Like 2