Electrical problems

Mikes72

Hi guy's 

I'm having a problem with my cars charging system. The other day my alt light came on. So off to the parts store I go. Grabbed a new alt, after the install the light stayed on, tested the new one in the car 7.2 output. 🙄 I thought maybe I just got a bad 1 out of the box ? Grabbed other one, 14 volts on the bench 😃  now its only 4.3 after install in the car ??

Hmmm. Good question. I know the 70s and 71s do. Do you have a black box bolted to the radiator core support on the driver's side,  under the charcoal canister with wires going to it ?  

So did you buy and install an alternator with an internal regulator already, or did you replace your alternator with one with an external regulator? Just curious because i have no idea what would happen if you installed an internally regulated alternator on a car with an external regulator. 

Turns out it's an external regulator, which has burned up another internal 1 I had installed. The guy's at the parts store are real buttnuts and kept giving me internal !!! So here's the new plan. I've read on here about a conversion kit from M&H  automotive elecrical #27555 $21.00 plug and play it will be here Tuesday 

• Like 1

The kit is inexpensive and you will be much happier with the internally regulated alternator if you drive your car much. If you are looking for factory original you will want to find a source for new regulators that arent made in China. I got frustrated with the fail rate of the external regulators and switched to an internally regulated alternator which has provided years of trouble free service so far. I used the "kit" which is essentially a jumper plug for your regulator connector. Well worth the few bucks.