Painted roof options.

Tim972

I was thinking the same.  My car was originally a vinyl top car, the vinyl and the studs have long since been removed.  I did buy some top trim, just trying to decide if I want to put it back on or not.  I definitely like the two tone look on first gens. 

I have seen one car painted in two tone and not using any trim to separate the colors but the way they did it was to paint not only the roof and sail panels but also all upper surfaces down to the body line using the peaks on the fenders and rear quarters and the areas next to the side windows and then the entire side panels the opposing color.  I personally like the way Chevrolet did it using the same trim as the vinyl roof used.

rob

28 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

I have seen one car painted in two tone and not using any trim to separate the colors but the way they did it was to paint not only the roof and sail panels but also all upper surfaces down to the body line using the peaks on the fenders and rear quarters and the areas next to the side windows and then the entire side panels the opposing color.  I personally like the way Chevrolet did it using the same trim as the vinyl roof used.

rob

I definitely agree.  The trim does set it off nicely.  I’m sure I’ll go that route.  I’m really leaning towards a black painted top with the trim.  

Agreed on going with the trim also. My 2nd Monte, a '72 Custom from Mississippi (back in the 80's) originally had a vinyl roof, but had been removed & painted tan instead. Whoever did it at the time must have repaired the bottom window corners and decided to paint it instead, keeping the trim. It looked good that way & never felt the need to put a vinyl top on it. It was a Mohave Gold lower/tan top.

The only factory 2-tone cars I've seen had a white painted top. According to our site 1970 was the only year that you could get a paint colour other than white on the roof.
https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/paintcodes/

1970 misty turquoise with white top

IMG_7804.JPG

1971 lime green with white top

IMG_8045.JPG

1970 fathom blue with white top

gallery_98_4_2358254.jpg

1971 Antique green with white top

gallery_98_4_2241940.jpg

Thanks for the info, I like the black roof look,  just wasn’t sure if I wanted the vinyl.  Since most of our cars don’t see much or any moisture anymore, going with vinyl probably isn’t as big of an issue as it once was.