Help to identify a part

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this rubber piece is? Found it sitting on the floor, driver side just behind the front tire in my garage. Finding it there seems to show it came off my 1972 MC Custom 454. I assume a bushing but not sure where or what. Would like to order new one(s) but need to identify it first. Thank You for any help!!!

IMG_20201003_164857.jpg

IMG_20201003_164903.jpg

Jeff,

I agree with others - it does appear to be a badly damaged/deteriorated upper control arm bumper. 

The first photo below shows where that bumper would normally be installed (easily visible after the upper control arm has been removed). Note the cone shaped bumper attached to the frame in the upper middle of the photo. 

Since its purpose is to cushion the downward movement of the upper control arm when the wheel assembly drops to the full extent of downward travel, I am wondering what conditions would have crushed the bumper you found on the floor?  Maybe jacking the front end up by the frame so the front suspension is completely distended would have put more pressure on that bumper than its age and condition could handle.  I doubt that normal driving conditions would crush that bumper because the front end would need to be coming off the ground (or nearly so) - unless you've been popping wheelies lately! 😄

The second photo shows the installation of a replacement bumper onto the re-painted frame during a frontend re-build.  It might be possible to replace that bumper with the upper control arm in place but I've not tried that.  The front wheel assembly (with the upper control arm) would need to be lifted relative to the frame to do so.

The third and fourth photos show the lower control arm bumper (which may also need replacement on your Monte). It can be easily replaced since it bolts directly to the rear edge of the lower control arm, not the frame.

Step 34.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 181.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 058.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 180.JPG

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for the information. I was online seeing if I could locate a new one but haven’t seen one of that shape. I heard something hit under the car when I was driving it which I assume was the passenger side one. Been working on and having work done to the car so not surprised they became loose and fell out. I will share the photos with my Mechnic and hopefully fix the issue. Thank you!!

Do you have in line tube part number for this bumper or the correct description for it. I searched their web site with no luck finding them.

Thanks 

You can get them anywhere, Summit, Opgi, ebay, etc.

It's cheaper to get them from Amazon than Inline directly, with free shipping. If you get it from Inline, you'll have to pay for shipping. If you look further down the Amazon page, you can get the 4 piece set of the upper and lower bumpers for something like $32.

https://www.amazon.com/Inline-Tube-Control-Compatible-Chevelle/dp/B06Y5RN9QV

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/inl11097

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MC-71 said:

Do you have in line tube part number for this bumper or the correct description for it. I searched their web site with no luck finding them.

Thanks 

Here is the Inline Tube part number. INL11097

They have a lot of  little goodies for our cars.  

16 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

Here is the Inline Tube part number. INL11097

They have a lot of  little goodies for our cars.  

Watch the body bushings. They say that they are factory correct they are not. I called them to explain and the answer was “it’s what we have for the Monte if you don’t like it send it back “. Nice customer service. Mine still had the oe number on them so real easy to verify. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

. Nice customer service. 

They're usually my last resort now after a similar customer service related issue.

Wow.. Sorry to hear about that. I had an issue recently when they didn't completely fill my order. They asked me to send them a picture of all that I had received. As soon as I sent it over they shipped me the rest of the stuff no questions asked. 

They did the same thing to me. On their web site they show body mount GM kits with 

the GM number On them. I ordered a set but they sent crap mounts. I called them and complained and they said to send them back. I did. The next time I ordered I found out they blocked me out. Not very good customer service. Took 2 years in prison. Seemed to go away because they opened a eBay store my others. It went away. I still order from them because they have thing no one else has.

4 hours ago, MC-71 said:

They did the same thing to me. On their web site they show body mount GM kits with 

the GM number On them. I ordered a set but they sent crap mounts. I called them and complained and they said to send them back. I did. The next time I ordered I found out they blocked me out. Not very good customer service. Took 2 years in prison. Seemed to go away because they opened a eBay store my others. It went away. I still order from them because they have thing no one else has.

The ones I got had gm numbers on them. All the uppers were perfect but 8 of the lowers had the wrong number. So after I got the crappy response  I did some P.I. Work and found that my number on the oe mount had been surperceded to the number they sent. So I kept them