Darren she is beautiful!!!! Really nice find!!!!!    But i have a questions, why on your sail panel is the "Custom" emblem placed before the Monte Carlo? ( I have mine the other way "Monte Carlo Custom")? 

Another super nice first gen, Darren!  Not sure how you find all the gems you have owned in recent years (including the convertible, 4-speeds and SS versions) but this is another worthy example. 

Just curious about the after market side protective molding - is it removable without damaging the finish or is it basically on there for good?  No doubt it is practical for an every day driver, but I think it detracts from the otherwise gorgeous body lines of a first gen (just my personal opinion, of course).

We had those moldings installed when I worked at a dealer. I think they riveted them on, I also am not a big fan. The do take away from the body lines.

Gorgeous Darren!  How do you find them :B.  Is the Passenger Sport Mirror Factory?  I'm guessing it is.  How about providing via (PM) Me your Cars VIN#, adding it to my Data Base?

Haven't heard much from you & hoping your Health Issues have stabilized for you. :)  Stay Strong and keep those Finds of your coming :2beers:

Doug

8 hours ago, MCfan said:

Another super nice first gen, Darren!  Not sure how you find all the gems you have owned in recent years (including the convertible, 4-speeds and SS versions) but this is another worthy example. 

Just curious about the after market side protective molding - is it removable without damaging the finish or is it basically on there for good?  No doubt it is practical for an every day driver, but I think it detracts from the otherwise gorgeous body lines of a first gen (just my personal opinion, of course).

The body side moldings on mine were screwed on. The center of them are color coded to the car (or at least close) I had to remove the inserts to expose the screws so when I removed them I had to fill in the holes. Here's before and after pictures. 

20200416_201633.jpg

20200425_161316.jpg

On 10/6/2020 at 6:19 AM, willie said:

Darren she is beautiful!!!! Really nice find!!!!!    But i have a questions, why on your sail panel is the "Custom" emblem placed before the Monte Carlo? ( I have mine the other way "Monte Carlo Custom")? 

Hi Willie, good catch as I caught that too but have not changed it back yet. That side of the vinyl top had rust starting right in the bottom wing area down to the stainless. I had a local body shop remove the emblems and pull back the vinyl to repair and look see into the bubbles. Not crunchy which was good but they filled the holes for the emblems and then broke off the tabs and two sides tape the emblems back on grrrrrrrr, the wrong way. Have not yet fixed it to be correct yet so good catch..

Darren

On 10/6/2020 at 7:51 AM, MCfan said:

Hi Denis, They were a Dealer install option and unfortuntly they are Rivitted on. I also prefer not to have them but they are there. I do have the fender skirts too but they are awefull close to hitting the Hubcap centers so they are off the car.

Darren

Darren:

Beautiful...I don't know how you do it, but keep doing it.

Before you go changing the script on the sail panel, please verify that it isn't already correct.  My Custom is the same way as yours, but I have no way of knowing if it was changed. Seems likely that GM would have punched all Monte sail panels for the MC script in the same place, then added the "Custom" script where there was room. On the drivers side there's room to the right, ala "Monte Carlo Custom". On the passengers side there was room to the left, ala "Custom Monte Carlo".  I figure you're the guy who can get to the bottom of this and fill us all in.

I have all the parts to fabricate a dual snorkel air cleaner like yours, but I didn't know if the 2nd snorkel would clear the A/C compressor. Now I know.

I'm not familiar with that steering wheel. Are you looking for a 4-spoke tilt wheel steering wheel? I have the one off my Custom that I've recently decided to part with. PM me if you're interested, maybe a swap for your air cleaner?

Again, beautiful.

Scott

MC-Z Steer Whl (1).JPG

On 10/8/2020 at 11:31 AM, overdrive said:

Beautiful '72! Original paint? 

Dan 

Hi Dan, no it was repainted back in the early 80's and then I had a little cosmetics done around the rear vinyl trim and pass side emblem area of the vinyl top. some bubbles repaired but didnt go all the way through... 

Darren

The steering wheel I have in the 72 is a Factory correct Custom steering wheel but only came on cars with Non Tilt steering columns. the NK4 or SS steering wheel was used on the Custom with Tilt steering. For me I went against the grain as they say as the NK4 is an SS wheel to me and a Custom steering wheel is sooooo rare that I wanted to use it on the Custom whether it was tilt or not as it just screams custom as the car is not SS..... But thats just me and I love the wheel to as its so different.

Darren

On 10/12/2020 at 4:34 PM, LS5 said:

The steering wheel I have in the 72 is a Factory correct Custom steering wheel but only came on cars with Non Tilt steering columns. the NK4 or SS steering wheel was used on the Custom with Tilt steering. For me I went against the grain as they say as the NK4 is an SS wheel to me and a Custom steering wheel is sooooo rare that I wanted to use it on the Custom whether it was tilt or not as it just screams custom as the car is not SS..... But thats just me and I love the wheel to as its so different.

Darren

I think that’s a good call on the Custom Wheel. I’ve never seen one with that wheel in person. Only a few photos on this site. I would definitely keep it on the car. Nice!