Engine Swap

Wraith

I am interested in having a new engine installed LS3 4 speed automatic with ac. I have an estimate from a shop. I’m wondering where the best place would be to buy from and what cost range I should expect? Any advice is much appreciated.  

Are you looking to use fuel injection or a carburetor? Factory PCM control or a standalone unit (Holley, FiTech, etc.)? What are your emission requirements in PA for a swap like this? Are you going to have a shop do it all or will you be able to do some/all?

Something like the GM Connect and Cruise is expensive, but it takes a lot of guesswork out of the job.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/chevrolet-performance/department/engines-components/product-line/chevrolet-performance-engine-and-transmission-combo-kits/part-type/engine-and-transmission-combos/actual-engine-displacement/6-2l-376?N=transmission-type%3A4l70e_4l75e%2Bactual-engine-displacement%3A6-2l-376&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&autoview=SKU&ar=1

I relocated to AZ. Due to the age of the car and how it’s registered I’m able to bypass traditional emissions testing/requirements. Looking to upgrade fuel lines, high flow fuel pump etc. A shop prepared an estimate which I just received moments ago coming in at about $17+ for the engine itself less mounts, upgrade oil pan kit etc. I’m having the shop do it all for me. I’m not able to do it myself. Just want to make sure I’m getting a fair shake. 

Lots of questions, what engine and trans are you replacing, what is your end results plan, driving, racing? What LS3 are you getting (HP) and from where? Will you need to replace the driveshaft, what else, while as you stated the oil pan is only about $250 but those additional items add up quick. 

I don't want to be a debbie downer, but how did you find this shop, from a referral or just a local shop. They will probably want at least 50% up front for parts and thats a nice chunk of change.

I agree with Cody, especially since your not doing the work yourself a kit will include all the essential items that are meant to go together. But as you can see from the below link I just blew your 17K budget on parts. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-s2020-83

I really appreciate your input and questions. Here’s the scoop. It’s a new LS3 engine w/ 495 HP 6.2L 4 speed auto transmission. Adding a/c as well. The shop quote is steep. After adding in fuel lines, suspension, upgraded oil pan etc. w/ labor it’s headed north Of $40k The engine alone looks like it’s at about $17k (Not sure if the cost would be much different shopping around) The shop was referred to me and they only do work on old cars, repairs to complete resto. 

I know they’ll want a deposit and then $$ monthly after that. I wish I had another shop to compare but I can’t seem to find another reputable shop that I can trust that is in state. On top of that I’m not from AZ. only lived here two years. 

I do not want to race the car but I want at least 400 or so HP. Just driving and enjoying the car is all with access to more power and clean dependable start and drive ability. Looking forward to adding AC and will be a huge plus. I was surprised to see line items on the estimate for suspension changes?? 

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance! 

I relocated to AZ. Due to the age of the car and how it’s registered I’m able to bypass traditional emissions testing/requirements. Looking to upgrade fuel lines, high flow fuel pump etc. A shop prepared an estimate which I just received moments ago coming in at about $17+ for the engine itself less mounts, upgrade oil pan kit etc. I’m having the shop do it all for me. I’m not able to do it myself. Just want to make sure I’m getting a fair shake. 

There aren't any suspension changes needed for the swap, but it does give a more modern ride.

The fuel system can be taken care of with a Tanks, Inc. system. It has a built in fuel pump and otherwise looks like a stock tank. You can run braided lines front to back, but I flared stock replacement lines for -AN fittings and used braided only where rubber was used on a stock system.

The best oil pan for the Monte Carlo, in my opinion, is the F-body oil pan. Avoid the muscle car pan from GM, it sits too low.

Mounts are cheap. Holley makes mounts for a Chevelle but they're backwards on the Monte Carlo so I used flat plates that adapt stock three bolt mounts.

For A/C you should be able to take advantage of a Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air system. You would just need a bracket for the LS instead of the SBC/BBC bracket.

Did the shop say what they would use for powertrain control, a stock reworked system or an aftermarket solution?

Did they give any itemizing? Depending on what they're planning to do for suspension I could see that being $10K.

Hey Joe, well we all know shop labor prices aren't cheap lol. If your having them do the whole project I doubt they'd appreciate or allow you to shop lower prices on individual parts and pieces. If you only have 1 referred/reputable shop then pretty much what they quote is what it is. 

The reason I mentioned HP is because you didn't mention what rear you had in the car, posi, gear set? Depending on the converter they selected you want to make sure your getting the best cruising experience.

Check out your local car scene, shows, cruise in's, drag strips (I know your not racing it but car guys are car guys) and ask questions. 

I don't want to get into your personal business, but you could save a ton of money doing it yourself. Plus you'll get all the swearing/bleeding/knuckle busting experience that goes with it. There are a ton of knowledgable people on this site that have pretty much done everything to help you out along the way. The only hurdle would be getting a friend or two to help you pull the old and drop the new motor in the Monte. 

You need to contact Kevin Uilkie on here or one of the Monte Facebook sites. He has a few Montes, including an LS and is in Arizona so he might have some good leads for shops. Not sure what he goes by on this site. 

On 10/8/2020 at 5:30 AM, DragCat said:

Hey Joe, well we all know shop labor prices aren't cheap lol. If your having them do the whole project I doubt they'd appreciate or allow you to shop lower prices on individual parts and pieces. If you only have 1 referred/reputable shop then pretty much what they quote is what it is. 

The reason I mentioned HP is because you didn't mention what rear you had in the car, posi, gear set? Depending on the converter they selected you want to make sure your getting the best cruising experience.

Check out your local car scene, shows, cruise in's, drag strips (I know your not racing it but car guys are car guys) and ask questions. 

I don't want to get into your personal business, but you could save a ton of money doing it yourself. Plus you'll get all the swearing/bleeding/knuckle busting experience that goes with it. There are a ton of knowledgable people on this site that have pretty much done everything to help you out along the way. The only hurdle would be getting a friend or two to help you pull the old and drop the new motor in the Monte. 

Lol ... I noticed the labor costs are let’s say a significant part of the cost. Unfortunately I can’t do it myself due to a couple of physical limitations so I’m stuck with the shop doing it all. But I want to be involved in this all along the way. 

Gears, no posi as is. I’m open to asking and learning for sure. You and everyone I’ve heard from have been incredibly helpful. Anything you can think of that I should ask or include etc please let me know. Thanks I really appreciate the help. 

Hey Joe, as Kelly said Kenin Uilkie has a 71 and did a LS3 swap. He did the package deal on his and he is in Phoenix I believe. If you look at the FGMCC facebook page (link below) scroll down to June 26 theres a short video of him at the Carlisle car show. He drove all the way. https://www.facebook.com/fgmcc

Yea shop prices are high, just try and remember with good shops your not only paying for time but their experience. Nothing worse than being under the car covered in sweat, oil, grease and having to stop and run to the local auto parts store because the starter your installing needs metric nuts and you don't have any laying around lol 

I would shop around . Here 40k would be a total ripoff of the customer.my Shafiroff 434 with 763hp was less expensive than that engine quote and came with a warranty. And you would still have another 24k to throw at it.   SHOP AROUND !!!!

3 hours ago, DragCat said:

Hey Joe, as Kelly said Kenin Uilkie has a 71 and did a LS3 swap. He did the package deal on his and he is in Phoenix I believe. If you look at the FGMCC facebook page (link below) scroll down to June 26 theres a short video of him at the Carlisle car show. He drove all the way. https://www.facebook.com/fgmcc

Yea shop prices are high, just try and remember with good shops your not only paying for time but their experience. Nothing worse than being under the car covered in sweat, oil, grease and having to stop and run to the local auto parts store because the starter your installing needs metric nuts and you don't have any laying around lol 

Thanks. I sent him a message through FB. I agree with you 💯 percent. Good advice.