It’s for my 1972 GMC C15 with SB350-it was leaking oil as I took the first step by replacing the valve cover gasket and cleaned up engine to detect leaking.  Still see oil spots on  driveway as did not find any leak around the covers as it seems to be leaking somewhere in rear top.

Question here is if the distributor (HEI) has gasket that might need to be replaced?  If not, where else should I look for leaks?

i read on other forum to use oil dye with black light to detect leak, I never used this method before, would you recommend doing this or not?

Rick 

I've also had bad oil pressure sending units that leaked. Located right in the rear, near the distributor, screwed into the engine block. Leaks right where the black plastic part of the sensor is crimped to the metal body of it.

I've used the dye for A/C systems with good results. With an oil leak, I usually try to clean the area real good with a solvent like brake clean or something. Get it nice and clean and then try to find the oil leak from there.

Thanks Dennis and Joe, will check if it’s tightened or not.  Is there a generic gasket for them or must I know specifics to get right gasket?  Like this? https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/felpro-distributor-mounting-gasket-70194/5785529-P?searchTerm=Distributor gasket

As for the oil sender unit, is it a gasket that I’m looking to replace or replace entire unit?

That would be the right gasket, same for a small or big block.

The switch screws into the block with 1/8" NPT (pipe thread). It usually leaks at the point where the arrow is pointing. That's if yours even has that type of switch.

ado-d8050_ml.jpg